The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ditto on the roll top / bench! Very clever.
    I'm so jealous. I want to come play at your place! lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Is there any reason the rolltop with the arbor couldn't be on a recognized course? I've seen plenty of rolltops, does something about the arbor at that level make it illegal or more difficult?

I always love the photos of people jumping through keyhole type fences and I have heard that it's more of a rider issue with feeling like you are going to hit the roof then a horse issue. I look forward to the day when I can get a picture of me jumping this fence!

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Is there any reason the rolltop with the arbor couldn't be on a recognized course? I've seen plenty of rolltops, does something about the arbor at that level make it illegal or more difficult?

I always love the photos of people jumping through keyhole type fences and I have heard that it's more of a rider issue with feeling like you are going to hit the roof then a horse issue. I look forward to the day when I can get a picture of me jumping this fence!
    I would think that yes, it is the arbor that makes it more difficult. And definitely a rider issue, but some horses might balk at it too I would think.

I remember jumping a keyhole Prelim level table back in the days - "I" was petrified on approach, but the mare I was riding jumped it just fine.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I don't event. :-) We live in VA. :-).
    But----I want to come and play, too. :-).
    Add in gray horse envy.... :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

In the jump guidelines they are listed as not appropriate fot BN/Nov.

PS, thanks guys--come on over & play, I've always got lots going on!

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    In the jump guidelines they are listed as not appropriate fot BN/Nov.
    To add, BN/N is intended to be a very straightforward introduction to XC. This type of fence would not qualify under that description.

LAZ has it exactly right (of course) to offer it as a schooling option at the lower levels, but not require it. This would allow someone that plans to move up to a level where it is allowed, to put it in their lower level course (say a trainer on an up and coming horse) but not require it of the rider new to the sport or with no intention to compete at levels that would have that fence type.

IMO, it should be the option fence on course, with the more level appropriate fence as the base fence, but that is course numbering semantics.

Thanks! I had always assumed (without reading the rules of course) that this type of fence was simply more complicated to build so it was reserved for higher level courses.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    To add, BN/N is intended to be a very straightforward introduction to XC. This type of fence would not qualify under that description.

LAZ has it exactly right (of course) to offer it as a schooling option at the lower levels, but not require it. This would allow someone that plans to move up to a level where it is allowed, to put it in their lower level course (say a trainer on an up and coming horse) but not require it of the rider new to the sport or with no intention to compete at levels that would have that fence type.

IMO, it should be the option fence on course, with the more level appropriate fence as the base fence, but that is course numbering semantics.
    i will most likely just flag it with set of flags for BN/Nov, with the red flag on the picture frame & the white flag on the far side of the open gate that is a couple of fence panels down and put another BN/Novice fence in the gate opening.

I'm all about making my schooling HT's under the same specs as recognized, but I do have a couple of places where I can make options and I try to make those available.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    i will most likely just flag it with set of flags for BN/Nov, with the red flag on the picture frame & the white flag on the far side of the open gate that is a couple of fence panels down and put another BN/Novice fence in the gate opening.

I'm all about making my schooling HT's under the same specs as recognized, but I do have a couple of places where I can make options and I try to make those available.
    Which is why you are awesome ane riders love your shows and camps!

those are totally cool.
    The cost of lumber is CRAZY!

I'm waiting for a pay check so I can add some goodies to my property. I built the ditch for my coffin complex this weekend! Sooo excited. But I don't have money to make the coops to go with just yet.
    And we built a bank complex last month. Again, no money to make coops just yet. And even further...I want to make it into a Teepee town. like at Spruce Meadows!! So they will all have to be built a little big native.

And I have 2 more ideas.
    I want to make a cannon like at Poplar. We have a telephone pole in the back field without guide wires so I can back it up to that and put a flag on the nose side.
    And I want to do a table that holds 2 flower pots and then make a little picket fence with a hanging flower pot next to it for decor (all in between 2 trees in the shade) . Robby Johnson posted a photo of his new outdoor coffee table on fb a few weeks back. I want to make a big version for a XC fence. You can see the bottoms of the flower pots underneath the table tops cause there aren't sides. Totally wicked.

I've googled XC jumps looking for ideas and seen that bench/rolltop hybrid. I think it's genius.

I haven't found the 1/2 rounds that make your rolltops. What are those? Are they the big fence posts cut in half? I want some but have no idea where to get them. I need 2 to line my ditch as well. I was just going to try to find a smaller fence post and cut that sucker in 1/2 to get the flat sides...

here are my jumps.
    http://picturetrail.com/kaboomeventing

I just LOOOOVE the blue bench. Was sad to see it go.
    I really wanted one for myself though I prefer that all of my jumps can be approached from both directions. But your pic reminded me of that hybrid so maybe I'l make a blue hybrid!!!! Thanks for resurrecting the idea for me!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

any ideas on how to make a mushroom?

I REALLLLY want one. Painted fun colors with white polka dots. I want to make a mushroom patch in between trees with one big shroom and then some little guys.

I don't have access to those huge logs and I don't have tools to whittle at this time. So I've been trying to figure out how to fake it...

(here is a shroom)
    http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thum...untry-jump.jpg

hmmm...I bet I could use a plastic garbage can lid for the rounded top and then make the rest of the top with wood!! Wouldn't hold a paint job though..
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

We got the 1/2 rounds at Rural King, alternatively you can buy round fence posts & rip them but it is a heck of a lot easier to buy them as half rounds if you can find them.

Yours are really nice! I used to build my own but I just can't seem to find the time. Anyway Jon does such a better job & builds all of those in the time it would take me to do 1. I think I may make a starter sized version of the skinnys because I think is would be wildly cute.

I have some stumps that could be whittled away on to make a mushroom, but before I did that I'd get them made into elephant feet. I'm not handy with a chain saw at all, so they're just sitting there, waiting until everything else I want first is done.

I would find an old papazan chair on craigslist and fix some 1/4 inch plywood to that. The 1/4 is bendy enough you should able to get it to conform to the curve in tapered strips. Of course, it wont stand up to a crash but neither would a garbage can lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Manahmanah View Post
    I would find an old papazan chair on craigslist and fix some 1/4 inch plywood to that. The 1/4 is bendy enough you should able to get it to conform to the curve in tapered strips. Of course, it wont stand up to a crash but neither would a garbage can lid.
    I flat out would not use or recommend use of anything that would not hold up to being stepped on/hit hard/etc. No obstacle should be less than current safety standards. If we ask our horses to trust that something is safe to jump, well, then, it should be.

meh.
    I think I just need to build a roof in a hexagon shape and sand it down really well. It won't be totally round but curved well enough to look like shroom hat once painted and with stem. : )
    Papazon is kinda big. I'm thinking 1/2 that diameter.

Very nice! My dream facility (which will probably never happen, I'll have to share with cows) includes a track with some xc fences along the outside wall of the track. Love the roll top/bench.

I'm also a jump hoarder. I'm building jumps on a regular basis, and begging for a place to store them at the barn I'm currently boarding, which won't allow them to be stored at the ring... For my 4 yo WB who isn't jumping yet at ALL.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Love all the jumps. The few we have in our little field are falling apart and I think it's time for some new ones.