The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I really tried to do the math on my own.. I promise! Calorie intake in supp. for dogs

First off.. I teach 1st grade. So I don't do much math on a daily basis past 120.

I have a boxer mix who's 3 and I just can't seem to keep good weight on her (she's about 60lbs right now, I'd like to see her at least at 65, she's much taller than a straight boxer). She's been to the vet for a full work up, no worms, no issues. She's just VERY high strung, always running, and eats like a horse (better than my horses actually...).

I did the grain free food, didn't seem to help. I tried oils, she didn't like them and they gave her the runs.

I got her some Nutri-cal that she LOVES, but each bottle is $11 and it only has about 2.5 doses for her size.

I'm trying to compare products to prizes to dosage sizes to doses per bottle and I think my head is going to explode.

I just want something I can supplement to her diet that will help her gain weight so I'm not just stuffing her face with kibble.

please?

Anything with fat. Fish oil, vegetable oil etc will put weight on but the question really is why do you want to put weight on her. If she's otherwise healthy, I'd say let her be.

I disagree with my vet. She's very skinny. I understand not putting unneeded pressure on her joints, but you can see all her ribs and people ask me if she's a recent rescue when I take her places.

The oils I've tried seems to give her the runs.

ChEck out Eukanuba Premium Performance line. They have a moderate (30%) protein with 20% fat which really helped out my high energy agility dog to keep healthy weight on. It's pretty calorie dense too, over 500kcal per cup. Designed for working/ hunting dogs but has some great benefits for hard keepers. I know some people aren't fond of grains and the like, but it worked for me.

What are you feeding now? An how much of it?
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

look at the calories on the bag. Here is a site that also will give you a calorie count per 8 oz cup. As you can see, the calorie count varies significantly.

http://www.dodgecountycanine.com/fil...ie_content.pdf

In addition any carbs will add weight as well. That could be white rice, pancakes, or cooked pasta.

What about giving her people food? A little of the leftovers from your dinner, e.g, meatloaf or chicken, mixed with the dog food may improve her appetite.

try Kronch Pemmikan bars: http://www.eng.kronch.com/default.as...tails&Item=400

I would avoid the grain-free foods for a thin, active dog; these kind of dogs NEED carbs to fuel themselves. I'd suggest feeding her a food designed for very active dogs- Native #4 and Dr. Tim's Momentum are both high-quality foods; slightly lower quality foods for active dogs are Diamonds Extreme Athlete and Eukanuba Premium Performance.

She might be just fine- see this body condition scoring chart:

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com.../dog_chart.pdf

with a boxer's thin coat you should be able to see ribs at the ideal weight. I'd look at the backbone and hipbones instead- if those are quite visible, yes, the dog is too thin.

There's a liquid supplement called Dyne that adds fat calories.

Just out of curiosity, what kibble are you feeding now and how much of it?

I've had her on the blue bag of Taste of the Wild. A bit more of 3 scoops.

How much is a scoop? And is that per day, per feeding (how many feedings a day?) or what?

How much kibble is the dog getting in cups per day?

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I've had her on the blue bag of Taste of the Wild. A bit more of 3 scoops.
    if it's the sierra formula, that is only 370 cal per 8oz. You can get at least 100 calories more per 8oz with other brands.

California natural lamb meal and rice puppy is 535 cal per cup.
    Evo red meat formula is 527 per cup
    Eukanuba Yorkshire formula is 458 per cup

So if you give her 16 oz of what you feed now, it would be 740 and if you add in 1/2 cup of evo red meat, you would add another 263 which would total out at over 1000 calories per meal.

truly you need to measure out what you feed in cups. It's how the manufacturers apply the calories to their foods.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    truly you need to measure out what you feed in cups. It's how the manufacturers apply the calories to their foods.
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    So if you give her 16 oz of what you feed now, it would be 740 and if you add in 1/2 cup of evo red meat, you would add another 263 which would total out at over 1000 calories per meal.
    Yeah, pretty much what I was going for, too.

OP, I have two ~70 lb, high drive Ridgebacks that run and play a lot. They eat four cups each per day of Orijen 6 Fish or Orijen Red Meat, plus a couple squirts of fish oil.

That is about 2000 calories per day per dog.

Taste of the Wild is pretty low cal stuff. The blue bag (Pacific Stream?) is only 360 kcal/cup...the Orijen that I feed is 480 kcal/cup. If you go with something thats lower calorie, you have to feed a lot of it. If you don't want to do that, then you have to switch to something that is higher calorie. If you want to stick with it, there's really nothing wrong with feeding a lot of it.

But if you're looking to get your dog to 65 pounds, I'd aim to feed about 2000 kcal/day...which is going to be five and a half cups of what you're feeding right now.

I'd start worrying about bloat with that huge volume of dry kibble. Not to mention it may be difficult to get some dogs to eat that large of a volume.
    Taste of the Wild is a weirdly formulated food- it has the ideal protein/fat/carbohydrate profile for an active performance dog, but it's ridiculously low in calories per cup for an active performance dog.

Here's a calorie estimator for dogs: http://mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm
    a 65 pound active dog should be eating around 2000 kcal a day.