The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breed of my Horse

I have a question. My horse is by breed, a Westphalian, but is registered with the CWBHA, so for her passport do I put her as a CWB or Westphalian...? Hope that's enough info + right section. Thanks in advance.

The "breed" of your horse is where he is registered, regardless of what his ancestors are. So if your horse is registered CWHBA, he *is* a Canadian Warmblood because he is registered with the CWHBA registry and not with the Westphalian registry. So you have to declare him as a CWHBA for his passeport. If his breeders would have wanted him to be a "Westphalian" they would have registered him with Westphalian, and not with the CWHBA.

To be correct, whenever you speak about him you should say that "he is a Canadian Warmblood" and not that "he is a Westphalian"! - because he is not registered with the Wesphalian registry so he is not a "westphalian"... And if you really want to be more specific, you can also say that he is a "Canadian Warmblood of Westphalian lineages/bloodlines".

Think of a kid born in Canada from italian immigrant parents. If said kid has the canadian citizenship, he is a "Canadian"... (and if one wonders... of italian origins).

That being said, before someone points it out at me... Most of the wb registries are considered "registries" and not "breeds". Despite that in my very humble opinion the CWHBA is another wb registry and not a "breed" per se (my bad), CWHBA is, in Canada, considered as a Breed by the Canadian governement and its laws. But to make it simpler for everyone, when one's ask wich "breed" a horse is, we (well, most of us) just answer the name of the registry where the horse is registered with. It saves a lot of saliva. lol.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The "breed" of your horse is where he is registered, regardless of what his ancestors are. So if your horse is registered CWHBA, he *is* a Canadian Warmblood because he is registered with the CWHBA registry and not with the Westphalian registry. So you have to declare him as a CWHBA for his passeport. If his breeders would have wanted him to be a "Westphalian" they would have registered him with Westphalian, and not with the CWHBA.

To be correct, whenever you speak about him you should say that "he is a Canadian Warmblood" and not that "he is a Westphalian"! - because he is not registered with the Wesphalian registry so he is not a "westphalian"... And if you really want to be more specific, you can also say that he is a "Canadian Warmblood of Westphalian lineages/bloodlines".

Think of a kid born in Canada from italian immigrant parents. If said kid has the canadian citizenship, he is a "Canadian"... (and if one wonders... of italian origins).

That being said, before someone points it out at me... Most of the wb registries are considered "registries" and not "breeds". Despite that in my very humble opinion the CWHBA is another wb registry and not a "breed" per se (my bad), CWHBA is, in Canada, considered as a Breed by the Canadian governement and its laws. But to make it simpler for everyone, when one's ask wich "breed" a horse is, we (well, most of us) just answer the name of the registry where the horse is registered with. It saves a lot of saliva. lol.
    That was a great answer!

Awesome, that's what I thought - thank you for the great answer as stated above.