The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Regumate really what my mare needs? Confused.

Last Sept one of my mares absorbed her baby. Vet said it looked like it happened 3/4 weeks ago(in sept) which would have made her really close to 100days along. This is the first time I have lost a foal past the 30 day mark. So of course it seems the common theme being told to me is to put her on Regumate this pregnancy until about 150 days along.

I was bored, so I did a little research and came across the article about Regumate on Kathy's site. Now I'm just confused. I know that their are many other things that could have gone wrong, but I was kinda under the impression the Regumate was being used as a "fix all".

This mare was bred today, and I'll be headed back to vet in the morning. After reading the article I am leaning toward NOT using the Regumate as it sounds like her progesterone had nothing to do with her absorbing when she did. Am I wrong? Or maybe it was just one of those things that happens.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Your best bet is to have her progesterone levels tested once she is confirmed in foal. It's just a simple blood test and fairly inexpensive. Even if her levels are good, you may want to check them once a month for the first few months. Is this her first foal? First time she has had a problem? We have a mare that has issues twice, levels were always good. Our vet suggested she might have placenitis (sp?), but I believe that is typically more of a late term problem.

On the positive side, while Regumate can be somewhat expensive, it won't hurt her if you wanted to give it to be on the safe side.

The absorbed baby was her second. First pregnancy/foal easy breezy. I saw she had "milk" the day before vet was coming to do fall shots. He thought it was just hormones, but my gut said no, so took her in the next morning for ultrasound and saw she had absorbed.

Yeah, def will test her levels. Don't mind the cost of Regumate either, it's a drop in the grand scheme of foaling making. It won't "hurt" anything if she's on it though, will it? Will it cause her to have to be on it every pregnancy?

ETA: He also didn't think it was placentitis(sp) either due to the length of time she was pregnant. Anyone have one get it before 5 months?
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

I've never heard about it causing them to need it every time. That would def be a good question to ask your vet. The worst part of breeding is not always being able to figure out the problem :-/ I've only heard of mares getting placenitis late term. I'm sure there could always be a possibility that the fetus was just not forming correctly. I remember about 10yrs ago we had a mare abort a foal at 6 months, it had extra front feet!! Freakiest thing I have EVER seen. Vet said since she was an older mare ( early 20's), her eggs most likely weren't very good anymore. I wish I still had pictures, doubt I will ever see that again.

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...Regumate.shtml

I posted the article referred to in the OP's post in case others were wondering to what they were referring.

You can also post your equine reproduction queries to the new Equine Reproduction Facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EquineRepro/

Hopefully that will help!
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity