The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat Food Suggestions for Urinary Health

So, after my kitties previous food was recalled last month (Innova's Low Fat/Weight Management formula), I had to "cold turkey" switch the girls to something else - since I was essentially out of food. I switched to Blue Buffalo's Weight Control formula.

The kitties love the new food. However, Amelie subsequently developed a UTI with three weeks of being on Blue. Lovely. This kitty (age: nearly 9) had UTI issues way back when she was a young adult - once when she was barely a year and then another recurrence about two years later, so as like a three year old. After that second bout of UTI, I put her on W/D for a number of years. When finances changed (aka not working at a vet anymore = no more discounts), I slowly weaned her and her other half onto the Innova food. I haven't looked back and we've had NO issues since the switch.

Until now. So, I'm getting a case of Royal Canin SO* canned to at least get Amelie started on her new "canned for life" diet, along with some anti-inflammatory meds - since she doesn't have a bad enough infection to warrant antibiotics. She was diagnosed with something like "idiopathic ...". Basically, she's not drinking enough water with the new diet and that's causing all the issues.

I'm going to do the SO* for a month, to make sure any thing that's lingering "goes away" but the vet said she could go on any canned diet in the future.

What's a good, medium.of.the.line CANNED food that I can potentially put all 3 cats on? I've got access to a whole slew of brands (PetSmart and PetCo are both local to me) ... needs to be okay for all ages of cats, those with UTI issues AND weight issues - since the cat in question has both a history of UTIs and is on a perpetual diet.

As always, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by appychik; Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: used wrong food ... Royal Canin NOT Hills
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Before Grain? Hounds & Gatos?

I've been really happy with both, after being a EVO die-hard for a lot of years. I switched several months following the P&G purchase, after seeing a difference in the food. I do add more water to the food, creating a gruel--figure the more water in, the better.

You know what? Back when that P&G buyout went through, my kitties noticed a difference in the food. We had A LOT of bags of food where no one would eat ... or at least they wouldn't eat very well, at all. Make sense now, looking back.

I'll check out the Before Grain. I haven't heard of the Hounds and Gatos <-- but love the name. Like the idea of making a "gruel" ... definitely makes sense, especially with a kitty already prone to UTIs.
    Last edited by appychik; Apr. 4, 2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: can't spell correctly tonight ... oops!
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I *just* started feeding Hounds & Gatos...I have an IBD cat that wasn't doing well on the chicken or turkey BG I fed the rest of the kitties, so we tried the rabbit H&G...which she does very well on. There are some frustrating supply issues, but it's been a great food otherwise. Right now we are feeding her the dog rabbit cans, and supplementing taurine.

My other kitties have been on the BG for a year or a couple years now (from probably 6 months post P&G purchase of Natura Pet?) and it's really been great. I also have confirmation from BG that the dog cans are complete for the kitties, so if the 13 oz cans are easier for you to feed, that's certainly a valid option! It's a little cheaper than then kitty cans.

I noticed a TON of cats don't like or don't do well on the Blue dry cat food.

I'd check out what was recommended here. My cats loved any of the TOTW canned DOG foods but I know you can't do that 24/7.

I have no specific food recommendations, but I do know that you want a food that is as LOW in ash as possible.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Thanks everyone for the food suggestions. I thought the vet said S/D (so a Hills product), but in reality it's Royal Canin SO. My mistake.

I'll "google" food options and see what I can find that's low in ash, and we'll take it from there. She LOVED supper tonight, that's for sure.
    See G2's blog
    Photos