The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TV Commercial Turn-offs

What TV commercials just really irritate you or turn you off?

One that is REALLY irritating me these days is the very sexist one I keep seeing on the Hallmark Channel and GMC -- the christianmingle.com commercial. Can't believe they expect to sell their web site using such outdated, sexist words:

"One day he'll call her, and she'll come running ... "

I mean, what is "she" supposed to be? His faithful dog?

"..and the tears'll fall down and she'll pray, 'I want to fall in love today.'"

Oh, please.

I am a woman, and while I like dogs (and respect some of them) -- yes, and men too--I am no one's "pet."
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

5 members found this post helpful.

My son makes a few million a year producing web/TV commercials and ads for the fashion industry, Victoria's Secret and Express have been an ongoing accounts for years.... I do not believe one of the products he has produced has been aimed at the independent woman

The Christian Singles one irritates me also. I really do not believe God is monitoring a dating site.

9 members found this post helpful.

Yeast infection commercials, rotten crotch and blue water tampon ads...especially during dinner hours. Or Jamie Lee Curtis pushing yogurt so women can take a crap due to the biological mysteries they are lacking in their gastric system! Jeeze ladies, eat some prunes.

Dead dick commercials, especially with the couple in different tubs...guess it's not working huh or they'd be it the same tub.

There's an IKEA commercial of a brat kicking cabinet doors, spraying the dog and running his car into a door while wearing a pot on his head. The kid needs to be neutered and sold to the gypsies...I hate that brat.

There's also the young female brat going through the grocery store with her brain dead mother. As mom picks up food, the brat keeps saying, "I don't think I'm going to like that"...with the mother finally giving Bratlina some sort of liquid food replacer. Mom needs a slap and the daughter....spay while young and sell with the boy to the gypsies.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

11 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, that song isn't about some twit waiting on some big man to come be her lord and savior. The song is by Jars of Clay called "Love Song for a Savior" and is sung to Jesus by people who love Jesus. No romantic boy meets girl anything to the song whatsoever. I like that song and I'm about the biggest feminazi Rush Limbaugh ever had nightmares about

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/43747/

Commercials I hate, well, I suppose I gotta watch TV to know commercials? I am supposing the Christian dating one would annoy me because of the misuse of the meaning of the song and I also dislike overtly shmarmy romantic stuff too LOL!! I can pretty much be dependably offended with anything overtly naked female, so any commercials with tits and a$$ to sell goods is out.

See, good thing I don't watch TV.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I don't like the one with the kid ramming his bike into the kitchen cabinets either. Or the one that has a kid sitting in a high chair cramming his fist into his mouth and someone in the background wailing about Cheerios. That is anything but appetizing to me.

I am sick and tired of commercials telling the viewer to "ask your doctor if {fill in prescription med here] is right for you." Especially the ones that have la-la-la music playing in the background while the narrator lists the horrible side effects of the drug. May cause sterility, impotence, insanity, suicidal thoughts, depression, stomach upset, cancer, heart attack, diabetes, and death ... but oh, I feel so much better now that I'm taking this drug! La-la-la-la -la ...

Can't help but wonder how many months it will before I see a commercial telling the viewer that if you have taken the prescription [fill in the name here] and died, call the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe (with apologies to Click and Clack Tappit).
    Rack on!

3 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The one that sends me to the remote for Mute is the mountain-climbing yupster who uses her CC for "nylons" & "new shoes" < climbing gear.

Thinly-disguised sexism posing as independence since she pays for the va-cay with BF.

If I don't hit Mute before she's standing on an impossible outcrop the yowling background music makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Any commercial in which teenage models are hawking anti-aging or anti-wrinkle products.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

5 members found this post helpful.

Swifter mop commercials...YUCK! Can't stand the love songs between nasty mops and whatever else was tossed away. Are women that stupid? And the Charmin TP commercials...bears wiping their arses after they poop...where did the used TP go? Just disappear? Is that really the mentality of "housewives" these days?

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Any commercial in which teenage models are hawking anti-aging or anti-wrinkle products.
    Plus, they look like they sprayed primer on their faces...they're all monotonal...not quite as bad as when an older complexion has base coat that ends at the jawline...few tan that extremely.

Oh, I now have a new one--some ditz is in an art museum listening to some talking about the statues (on a tour of some sort) and she checks her phone--funny picture on facebook! Looks up and the painting they were looking at is now the picture. Then it's a statue turning into her friend who just shared something, then the museum guard is telling her a text from her friends (something like "hey girl, we're going for drinks at 5, u in?") Because why pay attention to art history and learn something when you can be on Facebook 24/7 checking on your inane friends? I don't think that's the message the phone manufacturer or service provider was attempting to convey, but that's what it comes across--drinks with the girls and their party photos are WAY more interesting than learning something!

Toyota seems to have taken the hint about the colossally irritating child they were using to sell the Highlander for a while (the curly-haired materialist who sneered at his friends if their parents didn't drive a giant SUV?)

Conversely...Scotts Turfbuilder has proven that all you need to sell me something is a man with a Scottish accent and a cute Scottish terrier named Haggis. And I actively don't care about my lawn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Conversely...Scotts Turfbuilder has proven that all you need to sell me something is a man with a Scottish accent and a cute Scottish terrier named Haggis. And I actively don't care about my lawn.
    Plus, he's pushing a specialized spreader that only works with this years magikal bag-o-magic fertilizer...I hate my lawn, and today actually used a lawn mowing service for the first time....$35/week and they edge. He asked, "You want me to bag the grass?" Bag grass...what an odd thought...let it lay! Maybe it'll slow grass growth down.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

That stupid Iphone one with the guy and the kids about how great multitasking is. What an awesome example to set to kids! </endsarcasm>.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Trakehner, depending on where you are and what type of grass you have, leaving the clippings might not be a good idea. A quick internet search should answer the question, though.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

If you leave too much in the way of clippings, it rots and turns moldy. However Dad gave me his old riding mower, which mulches, so I don't have that issue. I also have more luck running over branches and such I don't want to bother picking up...if I CARED about what my lawn looks like, I would now buy Scotts, because I like their commercials. But I'm actually trying to kill it so ground covers can take over. (So far, no luck.)

Give me a man with a light Scottish accent and I'll buy just about anything from him...

I hate, hate, hate those quit smoking commercials with the people gasping for air. I have severe asthma and find them so offensive it makes me want to start smoking. I immediately change the channel when they come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Trakehner, depending on where you are and what type of grass you have, leaving the clippings might not be a good idea. A quick internet search should answer the question, though.
    Been in the house 14 years, never bagged grass or raked leaves yet...I'm going to risk it...plus I'd rather ride or do something with my wife than be a gardner. The deer are pretty good at keeping the ivy in-check.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Been in the house 14 years, never bagged grass or raked leaves yet...I'm going to risk it...plus I'd rather ride or do something with my wife than be a gardner. The deer are pretty good at keeping the ivy in-check.
    Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Along with the ChristianMingle one there's the one for over 50's, Our Time. As everyone gushes about how great the site is, you notice that the men are all dressed in expensive suits and standing in front of obviously expensive backdrops, while the women, over 50 though they may be, are all drop-dead gorgeous and don't look any older than 35. I guess from that that women are supposed to care how rich the guys are, and men are supposed to care that the women will look good as trophies hanging on their arms.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Along with the ChristianMingle one there's the one for over 50's, Our Time. As everyone gushes about how great the site is, you notice that the men are all dressed in expensive suits and standing in front of obviously expensive backdrops, while the women, over 50 though they may be, are all drop-dead gorgeous and don't look any older than 35. I guess from that that women are supposed to care how rich the guys are, and men are supposed to care that the women will look good as trophies hanging on their arms.
    I'm 35. They look older than that, believe me. But it's like all dating sites, all the men and women both are much more attractive than anyone you'll actually see on the sites.