The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bio security Protocol for the Four Seasons Horse Show

Please go to www.duncraven.com or click on the link below for information regarding the bio security protocol for entering the Duncraven Show facility next week.

http://fourseasonshorsesales.com/yah...m.92170304.pdf

Any questions please call me at 908-339-1678 or Mason at 908-339-2367
    Four Seasons Farm
    Four Seasons Horse Sales
    www.fourseasonshorsesales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, this is also on another thread. Unfortunately going to price some competitors out of showing. Plus, a 72 hour vet cert doesn't guarantee anything. I commend shows for attempting to curb the spread, but a lot if ailing shows will be pricing competitors out.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I hope this doesn't effect turnout. Im glad that shows like Duncraven are trying to protect the horses, but it does seem like quite a hardship to make competitors do this. My vet is so booked with health certs for the show that I cant get him out. SO, I guess Im not showing. And what if the same farm has a horse showing Thursday and one showing Sunday. They have to have the vet out twice. Not practical.

I believe the shows should have a vet checking the horses upon arrival. Charge everyone $15. After all, a horse could look fine 3 days prior and then exhibit signs at the show. It seems much more effective to check horses the day of the show, rather then days prior.

also scary, what about the vets that do health certs without seeing the horses...

Quote Originally Posted by bluedapple View Post
    I hope this doesn't effect turnout. Im glad that shows like Duncraven are trying to protect the horses, but it does seem like quite a hardship to make competitors do this. My vet is so booked with health certs for the show that I cant get him out. SO, I guess Im not showing. And what if the same farm has a horse showing Thursday and one showing Sunday. They have to have the vet out twice. Not practical.

I believe the shows should have a vet checking the horses upon arrival. Charge everyone $15. After all, a horse could look fine 3 days prior and then exhibit signs at the show. It seems much more effective to check horses the day of the show, rather then days prior.
    Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!

I believe the shows should have a vet checking the horses upon arrival.
    But is this really more practical? What if 5 trailers show up within 10 minutes of each other...do we sit and block the road while the vet checks each horse? I assume all the driveways will be closed but one, to control access.

I'm not sure what the perfect scenario is, but I think we may all have to be a little flexible and deal with the situation if we want to horse show.

um, I think you could easily have an area to the side to prevent traffic. Its worth it to keep the horses safe IMHO

Other shows are doing this too, we had to have a vet check for Springtime in Dixie for the two weeks. We only needed one for 72 hrs., from the horses arrival date, and since all of our horses go on the same day it wasn't that hard, but still... I understand though, there was a confirmed case of EHV-1 in the adjacent county, so it's just precautionary.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

um, I think you could easily have an area to the side to prevent traffic. Its worth it to keep the horses safe IMHO
    I don't know if "easy" is the best word there. There would also be considerable extra cost adding vets and vet techs to stand by the road plus...what are you going to do with a 6 horse slant? Unload them all and reload? Some show ground already do something like this but it's a paperwork check- they don't unload or crawl into trailers and commercial vans.

We, the owners, have to take responsibility for insuring our animals are healthy when we ship. A little advance planning, maybe getting several show bound owners together to share the costs is not that cost prohibitive. I have been getting health certificates for 40 years both in barn groups and as an individual and anything from 30 days to 72 hours before entry to the ground. The cost is a drop in the bucket and a h*ll of a lot cheaper then a sick horse.

And, yes, I have had 2 sick after a show, one nearly died and cost more the 100 health certificates. I'll pay, gladly.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm sending a horse to 4 Seasons Show.
    I applaud them for taking an active stance after some of the Florida shows treated this as a joke.

And if you're paying $100 for a health cert you need to get a new vet.
    Paid less than that for a farm call, vert cert and spring shots.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    I'm sending a horse to 4 Seasons Show.
    I applaud them for taking an active stance after some of the Florida shows treated this as a joke.

And if you're paying $100 for a health cert you need to get a new vet.
    Paid less than that for a farm call, vert cert and spring shots.
    I'm pretty sure we paid like 30 bucks, plus the farm call that everyone split.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I imagine that if yours is the ONLY horse at the barn going to a show, nobody else needs the vet for anything at the moment, it could easily cost $100.

The bottom line is this...the horse shows are doing it as a preventative measure, if you don't want to do it then you do have the option to not go. If I boarded at duncraven I would want horses coming in with a recent < 72 hour health certificate. I'm not trying to be casual about the expense but this step is being taken for the well being of the horses!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    I imagine that if yours is the ONLY horse at the barn going to a show, nobody else needs the vet for anything at the moment, it could easily cost $100.
    Most of the shows or show facilities that are requiring bio security are A or AA multi day shows.
    In many cases there will be multiple horses showing so the farm call will be shared.
    If you are the only horse going to an A or AA show from your barn you may have a few other more significant expenses such as commercial shipping. If the shipper needs to make a special trip for one horse then $100 for a health cert is a drop in the bucket.
    As others have said, simply don't show if the cost of the health cert puts you over the financial cliff.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

I think it's terrific that horse shows are being practive and trying to put safety/health first. I am not convinced a health certificate 72 hours out is ALL that helpful. I am not suggesting I have a better answer. I am just pointing out that it can be kind of impractical to keep having a vet out to issue health certificates AND a horse can be fine 3 days before a show and be sick the day of the show. Especially if he's not strictly quarantined in those 3 days. Short of a temperature day of, I am not sure how much I feel like just checking a horse over and taking a temp will be predictive of illness. I don't have a good idea for how to ensure people take temps/are truthful.

This is going to be hugely unpopular but you know what WOULD help? Ride times. Then you only need to be there when you need to be there and it's less crowded/less horse comingling. Not a PERFECT solution but a way to not have a trillion horses milling in close quarters all day long (Duncraven has lots of space to chill but not every show does). Just an idea.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/