The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lexington, KY to NoVA: Best Route?

So I'm finally (FINALLY!) off to pick up my new to me trailer from KY this weekend and will be hauling it back to the Purcellville area, just in time for better weather! Pretty sure that my truck will have no trouble handling it, but I'm relatively new to hauling a gooseneck although not to hauling. I've just had BPs previously. Trailer will presumably be empty. What's my best route home? I think I may want to skip 64 over the mountains.

You can take 64 to 79 to 68. That's the way I've done it in the past, and 79 and 68 are easy-peasy (I take 68 to 79 to my mom's which is just about half way to Lexington). On the homeward side you can drop down to 81, or stay on 68 to 70 into Frederick, and the 15 on home (this is MY preferred route, just because I get horribly lost in Winchester).

I've done 81 south and then wound through on 64w. 64 wasn't fun in the eastern KY area b/c it was so twisty and I wasn't hauling. Once you get more central, it's easy going.

I actually left from Blacksburg b/c I was in undergrad at VT but drove home to my parents' in Hamilton- so 81 to 7.
    Last edited by La Chasse; Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added info
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Mountains either way, on 68 or 64 thru WV/VA.

Normally, I'd say 64 to 90% of Virginia, but if you're going to Purcellville I'd go 64/79/68 and drop down into Purcellville from the North. Is probably a few miles shorter as well (we did this trip in 2000 when we bought Megan's YR horse from Phyllis). Make sure your truck/trailer combo is appropriate, as there are some honking big hills on both routes.

Thanks so much, everyone! Amanda, I think you told me this route back in February but I had since forgotten.

I think the truck/trailer combo should be fine. It's an F250 4x4 supercab set up for towing. I just had it checked out and upgraded some wiring before the trip. While this trailer weighs a bit more than my last, it still comes in well under 4500 lbs. empty. Still, I don't really feel like experimenting w/ stopping power on this trip.

You should be fine. Be conservative on the downhills. If you get crowded, back off and give yourself more room.

79 and 68 are pretty low key, as far as traffic. The worst spot is through Cumberland, MD, but the speed limit is VERY slow through there (40mph!), and most people are pretty respectful of it. You'll be fine. It really isn't too bad of a trip (though, I have WV mountains in my blood, so I sometimes have a warped sense of "steep.").