The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 16 hh OTTB - Sound for trail riding only- Free to EXCELLENT HOME only North AL

My well loved boy has a high suspensory injury on the LH, which I have been told is very unlikely to heal to the point of being able to do even low level jumping or dressage. He still canters through the field and bucks in play, but rarely trots as this is where the injury is noticeable. He drags his LH toe a bit and has a bit of a hop in the trot. I could try to rehab him with 6-12 months stall rest, but I have no desire to do that to him, he would be miserable locked up for that long.
    I am struggling with placing him or keeping him, but he is still young (8) and could make someone a nice trail horse. I still really want to do my old lady low level eventing and I can't keep him and my hubby's horse and get another horse as well, as I don't know that I have enough pasture for 3 horses.
    So I want to try to place my guy into an EXCELLENT home with a contract that states that if you can't keep him that I will take him back (or the person can place him in another home with my permission) I DO NOT want this guy going from place to place and not being looked after, he is TOO sweet and wonderful (he's still an OTTB don't get me wrong, he has his excitable moments). This is a long shot I'm sure, but if someone wants a trail horse who is not bomb proof but is a good boy most of the time and will go out alone or with others (hates to be left alone at the barn by the way) then he might be the guys for you. He is very handsome, not an easy keeper but not a terribly hard keeper either.
    Here are some pictures, hopefully it works, he is the larger one ..Sable
    Here is a video from this summer
    Last edited by Cruiser12; Apr. 6, 2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added video

bump

Can't help you with a home but I have a driving pony that suffered a LH suspensory problem. Finally took him to UT vet school where the man that actually wrote the book on repairing suspensory injuries did surgery on both hind legs (he recommends doing both in one operation). Dublin was ready to come home the next day, spent 30 days stall rest with daily walks, then small paddock turnout for 30 days. He's done great. Surgery cost $1300 all inclusive. If you can't place your boy you could look into this or share the info with his new home. Good luck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebaypony View Post
    Can't help you with a home but I have a driving pony that suffered a LH suspensory problem. Finally took him to UT vet school where the man that actually wrote the book on repairing suspensory injuries did surgery on both hind legs (he recommends doing both in one operation). Dublin was ready to come home the next day, spent 30 days stall rest with daily walks, then small paddock turnout for 30 days. He's done great. Surgery cost $1300 all inclusive. If you can't place your boy you could look into this or share the info with his new home. Good luck.
    Thank you for that information. I took a horse there once for an eye injury, they did a great job and the eye healed well. I will definitely look into that