The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Camry vs Accord

Seriously needing a new car soon. Repairs/maintenence on my 1999 Alero is close to what car is worth. Smaller SUV's? Under $25K if possible.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

When you're talking reliable, mass-produced cars, it's honestly just better to get out there and start test driving.

They're all going to get about the same reviews, but are all going to drive a little different, look a little different, and be available for different prices/different options.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have driven both cars, older models though. Both are well made and if maintained reasonably well, last forever. It comes down to your personal preference for either car.
    I do miss my 80's model Honda Accord, it rode and drove very well.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

From what i understand camrys cost more to insure

Personally, I'm a Honda girl (unless we're talking pickup trucks - then the Honda ones stink), so I say Accord all the way - I also like the lines and the look of the Accord better.

Realistically, reliability wise the Accord and the Camry are very comprable, so just go with the one you like to drive beter, or like the look of more.

If you're looking at new you may want to do some updated research on resale values for Toyota though - I know they were down for a while thanks to the many recalls they had last year, but it may have recovered.

Muffintop also makes a good point, there may be an insurance difference, to I'd call my broker and find out what the difference is if there is one.

agreed on the Camry vs Accord. They are pretty similar in reviews, but do drive differently.

I would also not discount Ford...they have done a lot to try and bring up the quality of their cars. The Escape is pretty nice. Sync is an awesome feature to have too!

I really like the look of the Kia Sportage (I think thats the smaller SUV). Rented one when I was traveling and it drove and handled well. I think it gets decent reviews too.

If you really want Japanese, I love my Scion. Its a 2006 TC with almost 120K miles and all I've done is regular oil changes, spark plugs and new tires a couple times. Scion is cheaper than Toyota but even the base models come with quite a bit.

We have a Camry (2009) that I bought from my company and absolutely LOVE it!!! Drives so nice, great looks and gets pretty good mileage. We actually bought it thinking about giving it to my SO's daughter when she turns 16 in a year but have decided it's way too nice a car and too much power for a 16 y.o.!!!

My mother has an older Honda Accord (maybe 2000 model) and she loves her Accord. I drove it a long time ago and thought it was nice as well.

Either are very good cars, will last a long time if maintained and both hold their values which can be good & bad if you are looking at used.

One word. Hyundai. I have three of them, actually (me, DD and DH). Greatest car I've ever had.

Gonna throw in another one. Nissan Altima. I got a used 2010 one with only about 19,000 miles on it and it runs great. No issues whatsoever and from what other people have told me, that if you just make sure to keep up with the regular maintenance, Nissans will run forever and you will have no major issues.

We have two hyundai elantras that have been very nice for us. If you like bigger, the new hyundai sonata is a very nice looking car. I drive a prius and love it, but the price is getting up there now if you want many options.

Narrow your choices to two or three cars, and if you will ever use the dealer for service, then ask everyone you know with any of those car brands if they like dealing with the service departments. I've had great experiences with two brands, and horrible with another companies sales and service people. I would never deal with someone with a bad rep among local owners. I currently have a Honda, and have dealt with three different dealerships, and love all of them. The two local Nissan dealers here are really good, and the huge Toyota one has a great rep also. It all depends on the dealerships near you. I also would never get a car brand that doesn't have a dealership in a reasonable distance, for parts or service. That's just my personal opinion though, and others might be comfortable going to a local mechanic if they have a major vehicle problem. Of course, the brands mentioned on here all have pretty good repair records, so dealer distance might not be a factor for you. When I take the car in for service, (I have a Honda Element), I usually browse the showroom too, and I really like the price, mileage, and size of the Accord.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Still have my '01 Camry with 280K on it. I will never own anything other than a Toyota again. Love this car. I was seriously bummed a month ago when the alternator had to be replaced, but then I realized - it's the factory original! And it lasted over a quarter of a million miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Still have my '01 Camry with 280K on it. I will never own anything other than a Toyota again. Love this car. I was seriously bummed a month ago when the alternator had to be replaced, but then I realized - it's the factory original! And it lasted over a quarter of a million miles!
    My '01 Camry has 186k on it so it's a baby compared to yours! But it is, hands down, the absolute best car I ever had. I know I need a new one (job requires me to drive clients and it's a bit dated looking) but I've been stalling. Nothing else will ever compare I believe.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

Since a Camry is only second to the Corolla in the worst.car.ever. to be stuck behind on the road, if you are a slow driver, who likes the left lane, impeding the flow of traffic, the Camry might be for you. And the Lexus...not much better.

Or maybe that is a regional thing.

My whole family has always driven Hondas so I would recommend the Accord over the Camry. My dad's last car was an Accord and it had nearly 300,000 miles on it and would.not.die. He eventually decided it was time to move on and got the Element but that little car still had tons of life in it.

You mentioned you were considering a smaller SUV though and I LOVE my Honda CR-V! Most reliable thing ever. Its got 225,000 and no mechanical problems ever! It has all wheel drive which is fabulous in the snow or rain or sleet or mud or anything you throw at it. Great gas mileage for an SUV. Awesome vehicle for a horse girl. Just throw all those feed bags or saddles or tack trunk back there and away you go. I swear I don't work for Honda, I just love them!

Another plus for the CR-V is all models have backup cameras included, and they do sell the basic 2 or 4 (actually AWD) models, and some other car brands really don't have basic models. They never have one on display at the dealership, because they sell the second they arrive on the truck, and I haven't heard anyone who dislikes them, or regrets buying one. They have tons of cargo space also.

I've got a 1991(!!!) manual Accord with 268,000 miles on it. Still runs/drives great. We bought it used, but hubby does all the regular maintenance. No idea on year, but friend has CR-V with 200k+ and she doesn't exactly take regular care if it but still runs great.

The accord models all have backup cameras (or rear view cameras, I think that's the real name) now also. I guess my next vehicle will be either the CR-V, or a 4 cylinder Accord.

Hondas and Toyotas are both great choices, I myself and a Honda girl. Cn not go wrong with a good Honda.

Look at VWs too...great great mileage, especially the diesel.

My Honda Accord is a superb car, and I would buy another one without hesitation. The 2013 Accords also have an incredible amount of options available: lane departure warning signals, rearview cameras, a camera that shows you your blind spot when you put your blinker on (so you come see a biker next to your back door, for example), and a touch screen radio/ nav. A beautiful car inside and out.
    <><