The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forget the SIL, where is OP's brother in all this? Maybe she could talk to him about her concern for both the horses and potential damage to property (animal urine will wreck any wood in the stalls, I've seen it first-hand).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I am also confused about paying for a manure dumpster. We compost ours. I guess it makes sense if one had a lot of horses on a very small property - or something. That could be a profitable business - charging to pick up the manure, then composting it and selling the compost - making money from the suppliers and the consumers.
    In many urban/suburban areas in California it's obligatory by city ordinance if you have horses. You may or may not be able to have a dedicated dumpster that is for green waste or manure, depending upon your size and your location.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

And, I, like others am really confused about the "smashing", which would take more time & effort than just picking it up.
    ?? odd. Maybe she heard about "cow manure floors" and is trying to make a "horse manure floor" for the stall???

If she is going to take the time to smash it up, why doesn't she just take it out??? Ask her if she would like to live and eat among her own crap on a daily basis.

The only people I know that do this are walking horse people. It gets taken out once a year when their neighbor wants it for his garden.NOT to say that all walkong horse people do it, before someone gets all inflamed.

Would you poop or pee in your pants, hang them out to dry and then put them back on???? Same thing. . .

Thrush
    ammonia fumes
    odor

Just to name a few that have been already mentiioned.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Would you poop or pee in your pants, hang them out to dry and then put them back on???? Same thing. . .
    Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    There are also areas where horse manure is treated like toxic or nuclear waste and there are severe restrictions of "on site" disposition options. Silly, but there it is.

G.
    Isn't that ironic? My in laws would spray chemicals all over their garden to keep the bugs away, but refused to let me use the compost from a year old pile because they didn't trust that it was safe on their garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Haha, but they DO. They poop on their hay, and then eat it. They dribble grain out of their mouth over a pile of manure, and then pick thru to eat the pieces.
    Are you kidding? Not unless forced to.

4 members found this post helpful.

Haha, but they DO. They poop on their hay, and then eat it. They dribble grain out of their mouth over a pile of manure, and then pick thru to eat the pieces.
    I have never seen this. This would worry me.

haven't you ever seen pastured horses? they tend to poop in certain areas, where they then don't graze. They don't willingly stand on poop or eat off poop, only if trapped in a stall full of poop.

There are places in the field that are not grazed as much, but random piles that are grazed all around.

yes: the manure can combust. Our entire manure pile (far from the barn of course) was discovered smoking one day. Composting generates heat. All you need is piled up manure, some moisture and bacteria. Mother nature will do the rest.

That should get her attention, if letting one of God's loveliest creatures stand in its own manure does not seem wrong. If she doesn't have more reverence for the horses than that, then why own them?

And if she still doesn't listen, then she will have vet bills for thrush, lung ailments and skin conditions.

I work in a 26 stall barn and there most certainly are horses who spread their hay all over their stall then poop everywhere and continue to eat their hay around the poop. They won't dig through the poop to get at food but will just eat around it. The night check person will give them fresh hay and they spread and poop. Same for the breakfast, lunch and dinner hay.

There are also horses who pulverize their poop to dust during the night and there is no way in heck that I would leave it. The stall turns black and stinks. Everything gets removed on almost a daily basis and new shavings added.

Breathing in ammonia is not healthy for anyone, horses or humans. Flies, parasites, smell, thrush. There are so many reasons to just clean the stalls.

I guess you guys have never been at a barn with a manure spreader that spreads manure on the fields?
    I wouldn't board at a barn that spreads manure of the fields. We spread manure on our crop fields (field corn and soybean) but never, ever on the pastures or hay fields.

They spread the manure in the enormous grass jump field during the spring. The rest gets spread on the neighbour's crop fields. Not the turnout fields. But even if they did, that's not the same as having a horse stand in a stall of his own pulverized manure.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I wouldn't board at a barn that spreads manure of the fields. We spread manure on our crop fields (field corn and soybean) but never, ever on the pastures or hay fields.
    Why?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I guess everyone has their own particular flavor of "unnacceptable" when it comes to handling poo. :
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    How is this your business?
    If I saw someone doing something so stupid I'd make it my business to say something about it and give them reasons why it is just wrong on so many levels.
    One of the most stupid ideas for horse care I've ever heard of.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ridethehide View Post
    There are also horses who pulverize their poop to dust during the night and there is no way in heck that I would leave it. The stall turns black and stinks. Everything gets removed on almost a daily basis and new shavings added.
    So you would strip 4-5 wheelbarrows out of a stall daily if it looked like indoor arena footing from a stall walker?

Breathing in ammonia is not healthy for anyone, horses or humans. Flies, parasites, smell, thrush.
    What if it did not smell at all, no thrush, did not attract flies, just looked like tan sawdust, instead of lilly white?.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    and give them reasons why it is just wrong on so many levels.
    One of the most stupid ideas for horse care I've ever heard of.
    Like I said, it is possible to work, and I would have to see that particular system before condemning it. Sometimes things will shock you, and the older I get, the more I find that "rules" may not apply in all situations, but can be totally acceptable as far as asthetics, and health.