The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    sign of Grace is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Mumsie View Post
    Good luck with your SIL. If she's anything like mine she won't listen to anything you say anyway and will continue on knowing how much smarter than you she is for "inventing" this new way to deal with taking care of horse stalls. >eye roll<
    LOL-She told me because she has owned a horse for 8 years (at the place where she went to ride every 2-3 weeks), she's an intermediate rider.

She sure showed me when we were riding in a near-by field and her horse wanted to go one way and we were going the other. She had to hold onto the horn for dear life and had her hand holding the reins up around her ears trying desperately to control the horse. Yup, looks intermediate to me! I suggested lessons. She said she doesn't feel she needs to take lessons. And there started the "I'm not listening to anything you have to say."

Oh well, I tried. Poor horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't clean my stalls every day.
    My horses are only inside to eat dinner. If they poop while they are in there, I'll pick it out over the weekend. In the meanwhile the cardinals scatter it flat and make a funny mash out of it. It dries out, and is then super quick to scoop and toss.

SO.....are her horses like my horses? In those stalls for maybe 30 minutes a day? See where it MIGHT be plausible that it's No Big Deal?

Anyway...

She doesn't respect you.
    She won't listen to you because she doesn't respect you.
    Your last post stated that she told you that in words you should understand.

So....
    Don't ride with her or have anything to do with her. It sucks to be her horses if they are, in fact, living in their own feces, but there's not a cotton picking thing you can do....because she doesn't respect you.

OP, your SIL sounds like an idiot.

5 members found this post helpful.

OTOH< I might have to revise my opinion. We're talking to an OP who recycles valuable field fertilizer through the trash service FFS.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    OTOH< I might have to revise my opinion. We're talking to an OP who recycles valuable field fertilizer through the trash service FFS.
    Really??? lol That's different...

My tiny crone-mind is blown by the degree to which human beings can and do debase the entire species by their treatment of defenseless animals. How does anyone who isn't a sociopath justify forcing a horse to live in its own shit? And not merely by passive neglect, but by active shit-smashing effort? It suggests a sort of fetishistic depravity. Or, as we say here at Dreadful Acres, "eew."
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

10 members found this post helpful.

I am also confused about paying for a manure dumpster. We compost ours. I guess it makes sense if one had a lot of horses on a very small property - or something. That could be a profitable business - charging to pick up the manure, then composting it and selling the compost - making money from the suppliers and the consumers.

And, I, like others am really confused about the "smashing", which would take more time & effort than just picking it up.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Well, my first concern would be THRUSH.
    Ammonia damage to lungs from the urine
    A filthy horse from laying in its own manure
    Flies, flies, flies
    Parasites from living in a manure-covered environment
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

4 members found this post helpful.

I am also confused about paying for a manure dumpster.
    Lots of people do this in areas where nobody will pay for "compost" and the time and labor it takes to compost a very large manure pile properly costs money.

I compost mine and give it away, but I only have 2-3 horses and don't make my living off them. A large barn with 20+ horses, who has to pay for labor and tractor fuel? A dumpster is a bargain compared to the time/fuel costs of PROPER composting, and then one still has to get rid of the stuff. In rural areas nobody will pay for horse poop, no matter what you call it.
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

Disposing of your manure via a dumpster is not all that uncommon. Some areas you are not allowed to pile manure on site. (The town I live closest to, but not in has this rule, and it is not a fancy suburb or anything.) I admit I can not imagine putting it in bags though. That would be a scary quantity of bags that are way too heavy.

As far as smooshing the manure. I sure hope she is talking about outside. Does this horse maybe not live in a stall?

I wish we had someplace that would take away our manure....I'd definitely pay for that.

Back to the SIL -- does she realize the horses pee as well? And that's just gross to not clean that up. Very, very unhealthy .

I have friends who have manure dumpsters because the state won't allow manure to be piled up unless it's on concrete. The service comes and removes the full dumpster and replaces it with an empty one. They then take it to a composting facility and sell it. It's not uncommon here where there are many small acreage farms.
    You are what you dare.

Ugh...gross. Not acceptable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I have friends who have manure dumpsters because the state won't allow manure to be piled up unless it's on concrete. The service comes and removes the full dumpster and replaces it with an empty one. They then take it to a composting facility and sell it. It's not uncommon here where there are many small acreage farms.
    That sounds like a good service.

Oh I can totally see the manure dumpster thing working. It's just horrifying to me to read of people who work with the land on a daily basis, who can see and understand the cycle of life for themselves, and yet still believe that 'the trash' is an appropriate place for organic waste.

Sort of OT, but I only have one horse who will poo in his stall. They have 24/7 access to them, but only one who poos in his stall is my 30 yr old. The two young guys go outside.

I have seen people who sort of have this management technique - only they don't chop it up, they just let it lie and eventually the horse chops it up for them.

Eventually the inside of the stall is so much higher than the outside that the door won't work anymore and the horse can hardly get in there. So SIL might think about how this is not a permanent solution.

The last place I saw like that we called the magistrate and reported them. (There were, unsurprisingly, other neglect problems as well.) Our magistrate (now retired) was a horse person himself and was great for things like that. He gave the people thirty days to bring him receipts from the vet and farrier and photos of the place cleaned up or he was sending them to jail and seizing the animals. Some people around here are just ignorant of proper horse care and when sufficiently motivated they learn better.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Oh I can totally see the manure dumpster thing working. It's just horrifying to me to read of people who work with the land on a daily basis, who can see and understand the cycle of life for themselves, and yet still believe that 'the trash' is an appropriate place for organic waste.
    It's turned into compost though, not trash.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Lots of people do this in areas where nobody will pay for "compost" and the time and labor it takes to compost a very large manure pile properly costs money.

I compost mine and give it away, but I only have 2-3 horses and don't make my living off them. A large barn with 20+ horses, who has to pay for labor and tractor fuel? A dumpster is a bargain compared to the time/fuel costs of PROPER composting, and then one still has to get rid of the stuff. In rural areas nobody will pay for horse poop, no matter what you call it.
    There are also areas where horse manure is treated like toxic or nuclear waste and there are severe restrictions of "on site" disposition options. Silly, but there it is.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I would think a brief chat with any farrier or vet who has supported a horse abuse rescue would yield an impressive list of conditions that typically fall out from the incessant presence of moisture, parasites, and ammonia.

I am fortunate to be unable to recite such a list because abusive care is not in my wheelhouse.

If she gets the time to "smash" the balls, why doesn't she get the time to throw them in the bucket? Scratching head....