The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone just smash up the poop in the stalls and not clean on a daily basis??

My sister-in-law just got horse property. She "owned" a horse before but always boarded it and I say "owned" because she dated the guy where she boarded and she occasionally paid him like $50/month to help out. She went out riding about every 2-3 weeks on the weekends.

Needless to say, there have been some disagreements between us. I try to offer help when she asks for it and I try *very* hard not to come across like I know more that she does. (I've owned horses for 20+ years, mainly keeping them at my house). Anyway!

She just told me that she is no longer cleaning her horses' stalls. She simply is smashing the poop up. I cannot FATHOM doing this. But I can't articulate to her why. Unsanitary? Fly problems? Just plain gross and mean to have your horse stand around in his poop?!

Anyone want to give me reasons that I could present to her from a non sister-in-law standpoint? Or maybe there are some of you that do just mash it up and call it good??

There is a deep litter bedding method, but, as far as I know and the way I have done it -- you pick up the horse poop. If done correctly, it is sanitary and odor free.

One might also keep birds that scratch up the poop in the pasture, and break it down. Or, harrow the manure in the pasture - though that is spreading parasites around unless the temp is hot enough to kill them.

So, no, I cannot really imagine how smashing down poop in a stall would be acceptable to horses or humans.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, there are people who do this. They are lazy, clueless, or both.

I once saw a horse kept in a stall with manure 6"-12" deep. Guess why my analysis of that person's husbandryman skills was???

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

9 members found this post helpful.

How is this your business?

2 members found this post helpful.

Cruelty to a caged animal is everyone's business.

57 members found this post helpful.

Gift her a simple book on horse care.
    Casually ask her what her plans are for fly season.

7 members found this post helpful.

I would probably ask where / how she got this idea and what her vet & farrier think of it.

Also, I commend OP for trying to address the issue diplomatically. The SIL made it OPs business when she told OP about her poop smashing stall management plan, so not really butting in uninvited.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

6 members found this post helpful.

Laziness comes to mind . No other reason for it. Certainly would NOT happen in my horses' stalls!!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

3 members found this post helpful.

to answer you question: hell NO!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

4 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Ick.

Any way to diplomatically and non-confrontationally ask where this idea came from?
    And why it is superior to picking stalls daily?
    What type of bedding does she use and how does she handle urine?

Sorry...trying to wrap my head around how this can seem like a good idea.
    That barn must reek after a week

I do have friends with pasture-kept horses who don't clean their straw-bedded run-ins daily.
    They do pick some piles on a regular basis, but mostly it becomes an annual project for DH to use the tractor to scrape out the used bedding and burn it.
    The run-ins are not the most pleasant places for humans to navigate, although I admit I've never been there when they have been freshly scraped & rebedded.

They've done it this way for many years (15+) and it certainly hasn't seemed to harm the horses, but they are out in pasture more than in.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yuck! I was just on vacation for a week. My horses' stalls open on the backside to their corral and pasture. I told my mom not to worry about cleaning stalls as they spend most of their time outside but my messy boy's stall was still disgusting when I got home.

If you (and the horse) can stand to wait her out it shouldn't take long for her to realize that not removing manure is a bad idea.

In the time it takes to "smash it up", it would be easier to just scoop the poop.

I will skip cleaning a stall for a day if things are going haywire (actually my horses live out but I consider their horse porch the same as a stall WRT cleaning) but there's no way I would make my job HARDER by pulverizing the poop.

Still, not your business unless she asks.
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

The horse will not have anywhere clean to lay down and it will stink to high heaven - as will the barn. It will be eating off the floor which will be lined in manure and horses don't eat near their manure even in a field. The parasites will simple recycle I guess. Manure doesn't absorb anything, so what does she plan to do with the urine? What a terrible idea.

I went to a farm to look at a pony and it was kept with cows, and the "bedding" was pulverized manure from the cows and a couple of horses. It was disgusting and 18" deep. It was a grey pony, and his entire body had a green glow.

If you like your horse lying down on, breathing in, possibly eating powdered poop, I guess it's just fine.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Ew.

I have no idea why anyone with a brain would do such a thing. You're in there, spending time smashing it up? Why on earth would you not just PICK it up?

Once you're in there with the fork, it would be easier to just pick it up.

It won't necessarily stink - it depends on the airflow in the stall and the heat/humidity etc. I have a run-in that rarely needs cleaning in summer because what little poop there is dries out and breaks down before I can pull it out. But there's no advantage to having manure material in the stall. Better to pull it out and break it down in a compost pile for the garden. Again, in the hot summer sun, breaks down in no time anyway. (I'm assuming SIL is also in AZ with OP.)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

believe it or not it can combust and burn the barn down.

9 members found this post helpful.

sign of Grace is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

I told her that one of the local trash services is now offering a 2 yard container for $70/month. (Normally it's $145/month so I've been bagging my poop and taking it to the landfill for $12/month).

Anyway, this is when she told me she didn't need trash service, she was simply smashing it.

While I would agree to an extent it's not really my business, I'd still like to try to give advice against this practice since she brought it up to me and don't like to think about her horses standing around in their own manure day after day after day, smashed or not.

BeeHoney...I had to laugh!! Yes, both she and I are in AZ and I do want to ask what she plans to do about the flies. She has nooooo idea about flies in 115 degree weather!

Is it a stall or a corral?

I know around here there are a lot of places where the horses are in outdoor corrals who do that. Bedding doesn't stay in, and especially if they're on sand they want something less dangerous for the horses as footing since they WILL be nibbling off the ground no matter what. Smashed up manure dries out in about 2 hours here in the heat.

I don't do that, though, and think it's gross.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

One of the horses in our barn has arthritis in both front legs. She's a lovely mare and will live out her life right where she is even tho' she's only a pasture ornament now. She paces in a circle at night when she's really pained and because of the pacing, her stall is by far the messiest in the barn. Every bit of poop gets ground up into bits. I basically strip her stall every day because of it. I could no more leave it for her to live in than I could live in the same clothes every day. Is it a hassle? Yup. Will I continue anyway? Yup. They all deserve the best I can do for them and that doesn't include leaving them standing in their poop no matter how ground up it is.

Good luck with your SIL. If she's anything like mine she won't listen to anything you say anyway and will continue on knowing how much smarter than you she is for "inventing" this new way to deal with taking care of horse stalls. >eye roll<