The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One thing to bear in mind is that North Korea presently has NO economy worthy of the name. I heard yesterday that some astronomical number of young children are completely stunted and have rickets. There is widespread starvation, and the so-called government confiscates all wages.

China is completely interdependent economically with the U.S. at this point. South Korea and Japan are also under Allied protection, and this young popinjay isn't going to get away with a damn thing. From what I've heard, he hasn't much capability anyway.

Perhaps all his "But look at MEEEEEEE!!!!" posturing for the benefit of his own people will cause the Forces that Be to apply some "soft power" to his populace. A whiff of what they've been missing and this twerp is going to be Revolutionized--with or without help from a timely drone!

What astounds me is how he can be so dumb living in a Confucian country with five thousand years of military history to study, all of which would show him he's being a perfect asshat. Sun Tzu, much? This kid has obviously never cracked a book!

2 members found this post helpful.

All the horrors in that country is what make them scary, and anyone in this country should be wary. Unlike USA, they have nothing to lose, and much to gain. We have much to lose, and none to gain. And they know it.

It is unwise to be lulled into the delusion that a fat tiger cannot be taken down by relentless ants. That, is the teaching of Sun Tzu. He does not teach you how a powerful country can win - he teaches you how a weak opponent can take down the stronger one. Did you ever play Go? That game is countless simulation of military strategy. Ask any one who knows a bit of Go, they will tell you that a general will not scruple to sacrifice a whole army in order to achieve final victory.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    I think this is right on--North Korea is so closed off that the populace has no choice but to believe everything the government feeds them. They literally have nothing to compare it to. So, yes, I definitely think much of the bluster is to keep the poor North Koreans believing that they live in the most powerful country in the world.

Basically, think of the crap Soviet Russia fed it's citizens and satellites during the Communist era--except in North Korea it 100% works, because they have no contact with the outside world.

This article explains it well: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...than-we-think/
    You might want to think about the crap our country fed us as well.

I don't think I've heard anything that says he has nuclear rocket launch capability, but he's capable of dropping a dirty bomb on S. Korea.

He's not a rational actor. That's the scary part.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You might want to think about the crap our country fed us as well.

I don't think I've heard anything that says he has nuclear rocket launch capability, but he's capable of dropping a dirty bomb on S. Korea.

He's not a rational actor. That's the scary part.
    Don't you think our satellite surveillance crews know EXACTLY what he's up to, and what his likely capabilities are? Take a look at your place some time on Google maps! Zoom in and I can see my wash-stall mats and the fact that I'd just dumped out and scrubbed a water tub--you can see the puddle from SPACE.
    And that's relatively down-scale civilian cameras; just imagine what the military's got! I assure you they can read the label in this twit's fundoshi.

(If you don't know what a "fundoshi" is, hit Google Images for a (rude!) laugh)

Then he's capable of smuggling a dirty bomb into S. Korea. The U.S. is not omnipotent nor omniscient.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Then he's capable of smuggling a dirty bomb into S. Korea. The U.S. is not omnipotent nor omniscient.
    Yup, SK is probably going to take the brunt of his insanity
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

NK is only one of bunch of countries that are on the verge of doing something to the US. NK, Iran, Soviet Union.

Al qaeda is just itching to hit on US soil again. The US foreign policy is in a dismal state and nothing is being done by the administration to remedy it!

"Soviet Union"?

7 members found this post helpful.

Soviet Union. Why am I NOT surprised that comment came from Noms?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Soviet Union. Why am I NOT surprised that comment came from Noms?
    You must have missed the fact that Moscow flew a nuclear tipped cruise missiles over the US territory Guam. Just recently on Feb 15.

As usual, King Barry could give a hang,, hes too busy schmoozing with leftists in CA, trying desperately to get the dems re-elected in 2014.. He should not waste any more time or any more of the tax payers money campaigning!!!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    The world has some crazy ass leaders......but Kim Jong just seems, well, crazy! Scary crazy......does he really think that they could win against the western world or do you all think he's just a bully that will back down when really threatend?

Ok....discuss!
    The danger, here, is not that the current Kim will order an attack. He's a cold, calculating tyrant but he's not stupid.

The danger comes from others in the military structure. Some general might become anxious either because he fears attack will come...or maybe that it won't. In any event he might decide that he's a better leader and start looking for his Tokarev.

Or some major in command of a missile battery might mis-understand some order and shoot on his own. For a literary treatment of such a thing see if you can rent an old flick called "The Bedford Incident."

Or it might be as simple as an amped-up private getting spooked and emptying his AK into something across the border. Or maybe a tank commander doing likewise with a 100mm gun. The "hot lines" are down; there's no way to say "sorry, our mistake."

While a military coup in the South is unlikely its soldiers are as exposed to this propaganda and "saber rattling" as those in the North. They can make similar mistakes.

And then there's the "wild card," an officer or non-com on either side who just decides it's time to "get it on" and end the constant conflict. They perform, or engineer, an incident that must be "avenged." That's how WWI got started.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I'm a bit worried about the situation, especially because I have a good friend who could very well be called up to action with this. That frightens me a lot.

I think a lot of this is saber rattling. However, I find that interesting. Media is so restricted in North Korea that he doesn't really need to create such international drama in order to sell his "importance" to his people. He can just have the media print it. I don't think he's much of a threat in terms of a ground war to South Korea, because it's pretty clear that the South Korean allies will step up and decimate NK. I don't think China would be so keen on having that whole border occupied by democratic nations, nor does China want to participate in a war with the west. We're all too financially dependent on each other (China is very dependent on the west to buy their cheap exports). Part of the reason they prop up NK is just to have a "friendly neighbor". So I don't worry about saber-rattling, they can't traditionally attack anyone. If anything, I'd worry about them developing nuclear technology.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I thought this article regarding NK was insightful and put some fears to rest for now.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...over-korea-yet

Has anyone read Nothing to Envy (http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-O...p/0385523912)? I'm fascinated by the country as a whole and someone recommended this book to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Apparently they do have nuclear warhead capability, and their missiles can reach S. Korea or maybe Japan. Supposedly the NK, and China relationship isn't very close, but the Chinese may not be able to rein Kim Jr. in either. The Japanese better really worry about this guy, because that relationship has been adversarial forever, and I don't see Kim passing up a chance to hit the Japanese if he can. I'm hoping his missiles blow up on the launch pad (shades of 1950 and 1960's NASA failures), but I'm not sure that will stop him.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Apparently they do have nuclear warhead capability, and their missiles can reach S. Korea or maybe Japan. Supposedly the NK, and China relationship isn't very close, but the Chinese may not be able to rein Kim Jr. in either. The Japanese better really worry about this guy, because that relationship has been adversarial forever, and I don't see Kim passing up a chance to hit the Japanese if he can. I'm hoping his missiles blow up on the launch pad (shades of 1950 and 1960's NASA failures), but I'm not sure that will stop him.
    I'm hoping Japan and SK have a good Patriot system deployed
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Honestly, I HIGHLY doubt it will come to this. Kim Jr. is not a dumb man by any stretch and he's repeating a pattern that has worked well for decades to keep his country funded and afloat. Seriously, they have no real income as a country and rely *heavily* on subsidies from other countries and especially China. Thus, China has great control over NK although they're not going to make public statements about that. NK couldn't exist without subsidies from China. Further, if NK strikes SK or Japan, international treaties bind superpowers such as ourselves to respond. NK knows it'll be invaded and "over" with forever, and Kim Jr. will go down in history as the man who lost NK (not the legacy he's aiming for). And China certainly doesn't want that mess on their doorstep. China needs us as much as we need them right now. I think it's worth keeping an eye on NK, but I also think that a closer examination of the political history of NK and the economic status of the country will shed light on jr.s saber rattling.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

***DISCLAIMER!! I DO NOT MEAN THIS SERIOUSLY IN ANY WAY!!***

But does anyone besides me secretly wish we'd just obliterate them already?