The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best shoes for Nurses?

Currently in nursing school and my feet are killing me during clinicals. The pain starts in my heels, then lower back, then hips.

Are clogs that great, or should I find a nicer pair of sneakers?

According to the Dr Scholl's thing at local Walmarts, my feet evenly distribute pressure, yet my heels kill me by the end of the day. Could this be caused by an oversized heel? Would a barefoot type shoe be better?

Any advice is appreciated!

I love my Dansko clogs (yes, I'm an RN).

If your clinicals are anything like mine were, part of the reason your feet hurt is that there is nowhere for you to sit! Even when I was twiddling my thumbs during clinical, finding a seat was nearly impossible because the nurses, doctors, consults, secretaries, and social workers were already jockeying for the 9-10 seats in the nurse's station.

So, though you'll be on your feet a TON as a nurse... you will at least have a seat to sit in every so often.

My DH is a nurse and the only problem with clogs is you can't run in them! When they have to run to codes there are clogs flying everywhere! A good pair of athletic shoes with a gel sole. Good arch support! If the shoes aren't 100% comfortable when you try them on then pass.

Teacher-on feet all day-have you tried Sketchers? Love mine. Also, SAS shoes-if there is a store near you.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Clogs (Dansko or Sanitas) or Birkenstock. They make all the difference in the world. The clogs are hard to run in, though. Which is why I prefer Birks. They come in all sorts of styles, too.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Danskos another vote (I'm an MD - OB/GYN but all the L&D nurses wear them as well) and I can run in them fine.

Look at Mephistos. Kinda like Bierkenstocks but I find them MUCH more comfy. And Naots. I find the clogs too clunky.

The Merrell Siren shoe is incredible for nursing. I used to literally wear them out when I was working all the time as a floor nurse. They have some models that come with leather uppers, but most are mesh tops. I used the mesh tops since I worked at a psych hospital and didn't do much with blood or biohazard, but a lot of the ER nurses I knew used the leather top ones. I can't say enough good things about them! The Danskos used to make my calves hurt because they would slip just a little bit and I felt like I had to work to make them stay on my feet. We'd clock ourselves walking 6-8 miles in a shift, and most people switched to the Merrells.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

MBTs. I swear by these!! I have bad plantar fasciitis in my right heel and with the MBTs, I can actually walk my shift and still have some go left when I get home. I have tried the sketcher rocker bottom shoes but they just don't compare. I don't know what the difference is, but my MBTs are worth every penny.

I can't wear Danskos. My ankles turn too easy and they are too base narrow for me. Even the ones sold in the nurse uniform catalogs, that are wider at the base, are dangerous to me. So I may the only nurse on the planet that doesn't like the danskos but there ya go

1 members found this post helpful.

Try a visit with a pedorthist. You need a gait assessment, as well as a structural assessment. A pedorthist can provide both, and assist with choosing a shoe that provides the form of support your foot needs. If required, custom orthotics can really help.

If you are interested in clogs, Sanitas are the way to go these days. Dansko used to make clogs under a license from Sanita, which is expired and not renewed. If you want what used to be a Dansko (pre Aug 2007), you want a Sanita . I'm not a nurse, but pretty much all I wear on my feet are the Sanita Professional clogs and riding boots. I can run in clogs just fine, but it could be from years of practice.

I buy my Sanita Professional clogs here:

www.clogoutlet.com

You can get some very good deals and some funky colored clogs. They have an spring sale going on right now too.

1 members found this post helpful.

My only issue with some of the shoes mentioned is that I am required to wear white for school.

I am planning on going to a pedorthist but it won't be until this summer when I am out of school. I would imagine I could benefit from an insert since I broke both legs in a car accident 4 years ago and now one leg is slightly shorter then the other.

Dansko comes in white