The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Standard contract language re: collection?

Since this is my first time with breeding I'm not sure what to look for in a breeding contract but could someone that is experienced with breeding and contracts tell me if this is standard for collection fees--ie; paying for 2. See language below. Thank you in advance!!
    "A deposit of $500.00 dollars is required for the stallion collection fee ($250.00) per collection , a

disposable container ($50.00), and Transportation (FedEx, etc charges) must be paid prior to the

shipment of semen. All collection, container and shipping charges will be deducted from the

deposit and the balance will be returned to the mare’s owner after 55 days of pregnancy is

confirmed and signed by a licensed Veterinarian."

It's not unusual. My stallion contract for this year says the same - although, I think 55 days of pregnancy OR determination of non-pregnancy would be "better" language.

(Also check they give you exact instructions for semen shipping ie who to call, when, fax confirmation etc. Ask me why I suddenly need to know this info.....)

1 members found this post helpful.

As a mare owner I find the deposits insulting. However as a stallion owner who has had a vet throw away an Equitainer they are very understandable. Holding the deposit until the mare owner confirms a pregnancy helps when you're filling out those pesky stallion reports!
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

2 members found this post helpful.

$250 is at the high end of collection fees I'm willing to pay, so is $50 for a disposable shipping container so I'd have a problem with that contract. That being said, requiring a deposit and then taking the fees out of that money does seem to be standard for many stallion owners. I prefer lower collection fees and to provide my own FedX number for the shipping.

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your input and knowing that although it seems high--it's standard....how about this part??? I'm okay with the rest but unsure about this $1000 "handeling fee"
    "Should a mare not produce a live foal that stands and suckles, the mare owner shall be
    entitled to a re-breeding within the current year or the following year at no cost
    for the breeding fee (Stud Fee), except that a handling fee of $1000.00 will be
    charged"

I wouldn't call the deposit requirement "standard", just not uncommon. I have never had that in any of the stallion contracts I've signed and I wouldn't sign one with that requirement. I much prefer paying the stallion fee in full and the rest as needed. I am perfectly comfortable having a credit card on file though.

As far as the $1000 "handling fee".... No way!

There are far too many nice stallions with owners who are willing to provide great customer service to deal with this one IMHO. Just another reminder why I use frozen 90% of the time.

2 members found this post helpful.

It has been a long time since I have had to pay a container fee deposit, mostly because the SOs seem to have switched to using disposable containers. Paying said deposit wouldn't be a deal breaker though. However, I have paid so much in collection fees over the years that I'm deeply appreciative of SOs who include the first collection in the studfee, and quite a few of them do that. Paying for the first collection could be a deal breaker for me; the hefty collection fees are one reason why I started using frozen semen. Paying a deposit on two collections would be insulting, as another poster remarked.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by kgray67 View Post
    "Should a mare not produce a live foal that stands and suckles, the mare owner shall be
    entitled to a re-breeding within the current year or the following year at no cost
    charged"

NO. NO. NO.

Next!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    NO. NO. NO.

Next!
    Right!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by kgray67 View Post
    charged"
    No cost my behind! That "handling fee" is just another name for stud fee. That is not a LFG. Time to look at the next stallion on your list.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I would ask the SO first if it's 100$ instead of 1000$ ?? Perhaps it's a simple typing error and the extra 0 is not supposed to be there. But otherwise, I agree with what others have said.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

That must be a typo. $1,000 "handling" fee?! That is ridiculous.

Do most people find that the collection fees ar e added on to the stud fee, or do most stallion owners include the first collection in the stud fee?

I include it right now, but it costs me $185.00 out of pocket each time I breed a mare, because I have to pay someone else to collect him. I would like not to include it, but thought most stallion owners included at least one collection in the fee. Thoughts?
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Thank so much everyone! I wasn't sure abou that $1000 handeling fee either....I have a lot of negotiating to do. Thanks again!

A "handling fee" of $1000 is not very friendly towards the mare owner.

I have never heard of paying a big fee upfront for collections, then getting money back later. Why wouldn't they just have you pay as you go? That strikes me as really odd.

I would look elsewhere, for a stallion owner with more of your interests at heart.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I would expect to pay for a disposable container OR pay a container deposit, but not both. I do keep my CC# on file for shipping and collection fees though, although $250 seems to be at the high end of a normal collection fee.

I also won't use a stallion requiring a "booking fee" either if we're talking about a stud fee that is due up front anyhow. That's more of a hold over from the TB days where payment isn't due till the foal is born.

$1000 "handling fee" is ludicrous in my mind.
    The rebel in the grey shirt