The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff of OTTB bitting thread - What bit do you use to start unbroke youngsters?

I usually use a rubber snaffle or a single jointed happy mouth but I really like the Myler comfort snaffle as there is no joint to poke in the roof of the mouth and doesn't have the nutcracker action. I get good results with the rubber and, in fact, have evented an OTTB to training in a rubber snaffle.

What bit do you like to use to start a youngster and why?

Thanks.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I usually use some form of this. It is gentle and most horses seem comfortable in it but it still provides a little turning assistance and won't slip through the mouth because of the D ring. Rubber bits are so thick I find most of my babies don't want something big and thick in their mouths.

Something soft. Usually, their earliest work (on the ground and early rides) will be in a rubber straight bar. Maybe a Nathe. Sometimes a Happy Mouth of some variety.

Why? Why start with anything other than something soft?

I do it western: soft loose-ring snaffle with a chin strap.

It's features are:

Not too fat-- fits in a small baby mouth without too much disturbence.

Unstable to I can teach quickly that "pull" means relax your jaw/poll and give because the bit is quick to "give," too.

Chin strap so that you can't pull it through the mouth.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Whatever is best suited to their mouth anatomy with stable cheeks (eggbutt, D, full cheek)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

So.... I get wanting something soft... but is it so bad to use plain metal? I only have a metal d-ring and put it in Dan's mouth just to let him see what it was all about. He didn't seem to care after he mouthed it for a bit. And then I went ahead and did in long line work with it still in (Not attached to the lines.. just in his mouth). He honestly didn't seem to care one bit about the bit (ha ha) and was chewing on the long lines despite having the bit in his mouth. I meant to go buy a rubber one and really only used that one just because... but now I'm wondering if I should bother. He's only 2, so I'm not riding him yet.. just long lining and getting him used to the bit. Not even attaching reins to it yet.

Thanks in advance!

I use whatever I have hanging around my tack room....almost always a plain metal mouthpiece and usually a loose ring, d-ring, or eggbutt (again, whatever is close at hand). Sometimes I'll start in my sprenger kk double jointed bit, but as it's hidden somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my tack room, my newest baby just got started in a plain single-jointed metal mouthpiece.

I start with a D or full cheek (I have quite a few with different mouth pieces) so its harder to pull the bit through the mouth if a severe steering disagreement arises LOL. They help with steering too. Once we have steering, nowadays I switch to the Nathe.

Current horse(TB mare) was started in a rubber D ring snaffle. Then had a few changes of bit as she learned more( metal full cheek, a mylar bit with the nice roller, briefly a rubber pelham and then a Happy Mouth mullen mouthpiece). She currently goes in a hackamore unless we are doing a dressage test, then she goes in the Happy Mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    So.... I get wanting something soft... but is it so bad to use plain metal? I only have a metal d-ring and put it in Dan's mouth just to let him see what it was all about. He didn't seem to care after he mouthed it for a bit. And then I went ahead and did in long line work with it still in (Not attached to the lines.. just in his mouth). He honestly didn't seem to care one bit about the bit (ha ha) and was chewing on the long lines despite having the bit in his mouth. I meant to go buy a rubber one and really only used that one just because... but now I'm wondering if I should bother. He's only 2, so I'm not riding him yet.. just long lining and getting him used to the bit. Not even attaching reins to it yet.

Thanks in advance!
    I don't think it really matters, especially in Dan's situation (just learning to wear a bit and do stuff with a bit in his mouth). It is just my very personal preference and what I've always grabbed first when putting a baby's first bridle together (be it an unbroke baby, or an OTTB).

1 members found this post helpful.

I prefer NOT to use synthetic materials because babies are much mouthier with the bit, and I don't want anything to encourage them to suck the bit up to the molars and chew.( I'm also in the anti tight noseband or flash club)
    A scratched happy mouth is as nasty as a slow twist.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I usually start with a regular french link. I use it on most horses now as it lays nicely in their mouth. I also usually use a properly fitted flash noseband.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I do it western: soft loose-ring snaffle with a chin strap.

It's features are:

Not too fat-- fits in a small baby mouth without too much disturbence.

Unstable to I can teach quickly that "pull" means relax your jaw/poll and give because the bit is quick to "give," too.

Chin strap so that you can't pull it through the mouth.
    This. I started a number of babies this way and all had lovely mouths when they went home to their owners after 30 or 60 days. I have never tried anything but metal since this set up has always worked well. Not that I have anything against the other materials.