The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hilary, we must be built alike. I am currently wearing the Pikeur Cindy's (I haunt ebay and sales), Ariat Pro Circuit (and my old Ariat Fairfaxes, which fit perfectly). I don't like the Trainer's Choice fabric and I agree, the TS don't fit me at all. I also don't like Kerrits, Ovation or Irideon and in general like the cotton or cotton-like microfibers. Keebler's new girl was the beneficiary of about 8 pairs of breeches that I have ordered over the past couple of years and not liked. Fleckenawesome bought the FITS (comfortable enough, but somehow slippery with my current saddle) and RunForIt bought the TS and maybe a couple others.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Shout out to Equissentials -- which are NOT cheap, but are cotton blends and they will do custom sizing for the same price as off the rack sizes. For schooling, their "Grip Bums" or "Grip Knees" may be in your price range. Do not let the black color of the summer weight fabric fool you; these will keep you cool!

http://store.equissentials.net/index.php/ The website's been a bit odd lately, so I'd recommend calling them if you have questions.

Another plus: they are made in the USA!
    I have two pair and I LOVE them...sort of. I bought them on close out and didn't realize that they didn't have zippers. I don't like pull ons. Have to have a zipper in the front. Otherwise I look stupid. Too much vacant space up there.

And they are the full seat. I love the design of the full seat...my only issue is, well, they are full seat. lol. I don't like when my butt sticks to the saddle.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    What did they change about the Aerocools?
    the material is stiff and itchy. Even after many many washes with hot water.
    And the waste is larger than it used to be. The leg is great but I could fit 2 of me in the waste band. And they are so stiff and itchy that I feel like I'm wearing jeans that I just body clipped horses in.

boooo!

Aerocools worked for me OK because I always bought them in black. Can't see lumps and bumps so well. ; )

Hopefully something I ordered will fit. I'm hopeful that the brand cabanaboy mentioned will work. Since we are similar.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I live in mid-rise TS trophy hunter breeches for both home and shows. I like both the front and the side zips. They breathe well, are lightweight, and smooth over the lumps/dimples. Even in the scorching humid VA summers, the seem to wick the sweat and stay cool. I'm relatively tall but short-waisted, and the mid-rise talls hit at the belly button when I'm in the saddle, or just below it in the regulars.

They are pricey, yes, but the newest fabric seems to be holding up very well and they are a lot more flattering than many of the cheaper schooling breeches.

purp- My favorite schooling breeches right now are the Ovation Euroweave with Drilex. Note I am in FL, so similar hot and humid weather for much of the year. I am 5'10" and wear a 28L or 30L (depending on how much room I want). Happy with my weight, but not a stick, especially post-baby. These breeches seem to hold up and breathe better than cotton, but don't show every bit of cellulite like some synthetics can. I actually find the fabric much more concealing (and therefore flattering!) than the TuffRider ribbed fabric. The rise (I think it's called a mid-rise) is great, doesn't come up to my ribcage but high enough for shirts to stay tucked.

I used to wear cotton breeches but always put holes in them pretty quickly. Switched to TuffRider (Country? whatever the ribbed ones are) and those wear like iron...but are a bit hotter than ideal in summer. The Ovations, again, are cooler, even the full-seat version.

For showing, I have Ariat (All?Pro?)Circuits, Trainer's Choice (kind of a twill--I actually reserve those for hunting days as the fabric is very sturdy), and Romfh International. And a pair of white Ovation full seats, which I might actually wear on my young horse some day. (I normally don't like full seats, but they've proven to be handy on the super greenie.)

1 members found this post helpful.

It might be worth looking at UK ebay.

I am not as tall as you (5'9) But I hate low rise. Luckily that fashion in breeches is yet to reach the UK and is instead in jods for kids!
    Toggi are very reasonably priced - I love the Isis as look great and work well with practicality. I have had several over the years.

I like my George Schumacher ones ditto above.

I cannot bear to spend a huge amount on breeches as one stain and they are ruined! I tend to stalk ebay for my size and look for ones with labels on still. It would be worth your while checking out the UK.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

I've been waning to try the Ovations as well!! The Goode Rider cargos are SO cute, but I've found Goode Riders to be on the small side, and they shrink.

OP, are you wanting full seat only?? I picked up a pair of pull-on knee patch breeches from Dover two years ago, and they still look great and fit all of your requirements. And you CANNOT beat the price.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/riding-...es/p/X1-35628/

ETA - Just saw you don't like pull-ons, but these are flattering, I promise! Plus they have belt loops! I have a pair in black that I wear to schooling shows, and I can actually keep them clean. I like how they are stretchy so the material moves with you vs. having to pull your damn breeches up every five seconds, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Have you tried the Horze actives? I have a pair and they are heavy cotton and at least 8" too long for my 26" inseam.
    I literally cannot recommend these enough:
    http://www.horze.com/Horze-Ladies-Ac...,en_US,pd.html

They make them in a full seat, too.

They're some of the most flattering breeches I own. Thick, lovely cotton with just a bit of stretch that covers anyone. Even the regulars are LONG, I have to cuff them with my short inseam. The waistband comes to just under my belly button.

While I adore low-rise (but not butt-crack rise!) stuff in real life, while on a horse I prefer a little extra coverage. I have probably five pairs of the above breeches, in solid colors and plaids, and just love them. Plus they're Eurocut which just adds to the flattering ability.

^GFAG, I ordered a pair of those based on your comments in the other thread (Velvet's, I believe it was) about breeches. Looking forward to getting them!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I can't figure out which demographic is making breech makers more money--teenagers who want "trendy" looks or middle-aged broads (like me) who really want comfortable fit and trouble-free fabrics more than some "look" or other.

I do know that the older I get, the fussier I am about fit! I wear the same size that I wore 15 years ago, and my weight is the same, but dang--the body parts are just not in the same place!

I hate wearing a belt, and do wish someone would come up with some sort of adjustable waistband--if breeches fit my butt and thighs they are too loose in the waist.
    Glad I'm not the only one this is happening to--and I SWORE I wouldn't let it!

I HATE low rise--hate, hate, hate! I get that they work for some people, even better than the mid- or -high-rise, but why do ALL breeches now have to be low-rise? Let's at least have some options here. I would please like a nice mid-rise (or even slightly high-rise to hide the jelly rolls/Jello-jigglers) side-zip breech in a technical fabric. In both knee patch and full-seat. Preferably semi-affordable, but I am willing to invest in good breeches if they're high-quality and will last.
    Last edited by Frizzle; Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Oh, and not a big fan of pull-ons, as they often seem to create a camel-toe issue. Not pretty.

I feel your pain. Somehow, I now have a "granny gut", which pleases me not. It blubs right over the top of most low rise britches while the back invariably gaps big enough to hold a helmet. I'm 5'4" and a 30 to 32, depending.

I scored a stack of TS Pro's at a consignment store a few years back - the pro's are a heavier fabric that does not show the (ahem) "interesting texture" in my thighs. My favorite summer britches are a pair of Pikeurs I bought years ago; they've held up pretty well, despite the waistband/boob issue. I mourn the passing of my Pytchly's that I owned forever; perfect fit.

I wish the manufacturers would come up with a mid rise that is actually a MID rise, and not up to the middle of my boobs.

OP, I think you will like these. I have the brown, and they are my favorites. Regular waist, heavy, cottony fabric, and they are plenty long enough. In fact, I'm a shorty, and they are long on me, but they will be perfect for you.

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Ladies-Ac...US,pd.html#MPU
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

If I wear regular rise breeches I look like Urkel.

I like low rise. I have the Tuff Rider cotton ones, and I have the Tuff Rider ribbed ones. The ribbed ones are AWESOME. But not cotton. The cotton are okay- but not that thick.

I do agree that cotton breeches appear to be getting thinner over time. I got a pair of Devon-Aire breeches and they are very thin. And then I got a pair of Kerrits Flow Rise pull-ons- good lord!! They are like a second skin, and I don't mean it in a good way. They must only look good on 18 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    If I wear regular rise breeches I look like Urkel.

I like low rise. I have the Tuff Rider cotton ones, and I have the Tuff Rider ribbed ones. The ribbed ones are AWESOME.

I do agree that cotton breeches appear to be getting thinner over time. I got a pair of Devon-Aire breeches and they are very thin. And then I got a pair of Kerrits Flow Rise pull-ons- good lord!! They are like a second skin, and I don't mean it in a good way. They must only look good on 18 year olds.

I could have written this post. I like low rise too! And, I'm 5'3 but always have to order longs! regular length is too short on me.

I love my RIBBED Tuff Riders. I have a pair of knee patch and a full seat. They're actually pretty cool in hot weather, and slimming. I don't like pull-ons and I don't like to spend a lot.

I used to only wear cotton (Devon Aire), but they don't hold up well. Years ago, I had a pair of Aerocools, and they were awfully hot in summer! Too thick, waistband too high...ack.

As for belts - WHY ARE THERE NO ELASTIC BELTS FOR RIDERS out there? I haven't found any for sale. Am I missing something???
    So, I buy my ELASTIC belts at the street markets in France. Sooo comfy with breeches, jeans etc.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I think the Kerrits Flow Rise waist are extremely comfortable and flattering. I do, however have a gripe with Kerrits - they do not offer an XS in all of their styles. I called the company to complain and was told that it isn't cost effective to do so. I wonder how they decide which styles to offer an XS in. Strange.

Be prepared to hate the shapelys. I bought them and have a similar build. They come up above my waist and they have these HIDEOUS darts at multiple places around the waistline instead of simply being cut with a larger hip measurement and smaller waist. The effect has caused me and and my friend to call them "The colostomy breeches" as the fit at the waist but then go slack around the stomach- it's like you've got as much room for your belly as your butt! Seriously ill concieved. I use them because you cant' really see it when my jacket is on, but I won't even walk around in them at shows- I untack the horse quick and then go directly to the tack stall to change ASAP. they are THAT bad. But I do like the weight of the fabric at least.

-if breeches fit my butt and thighs they are too loose in the waist.
    Me too.

-if breeches fit my butt and thighs they are too loose in the waist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Me too.

I have the same problem. If I find something that fits my butt and thighs then it is too big in the waist and looks silly. If I find something that fits my waist, I can't get it over my butt and it automatically turns into ultra-low rise.

I used to wear the Tuffrider ribbed breeches, but those don't wear very well. So I gave up after one season of using them. I now use the Ovation side zip euroweave breeches. They are labelled "low rise" (at least the ones I bought) but are comfortable and more like a mid rise at least for me.

I don't want something so low rise that I constantly have to check my shirt to be sure it's tucked in and not revealing anything. I also hate the breeches that are so high up on my waist that my torso looks shorter than it already is. yuck!