The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Am I the only one who hates the new trends in breeches?

Need.To.Vent
    what is up with the dang low rise breeches?!?
    (I had been using Tuff Rider Aerocool breeches but they changed the style slightly and they no longer work for me)

I have the hardest time finding breeches as it is because I refuse to pay more than $60-$80 for schooling breeks. I go to the $100-$150 dollar range for show breeks.

I have super long legs and a squat torso. If I order longs, the waste band reaches my boobs. If I order regulars, the pants stop about 4 inches below my knees.
    I look stupid no matter what.

Plus, I like cotton. Nice thick cotton to cover up lumps and bumps in my butt.
    On top of not being able to find breeches made of (mainly) cotton, if I do find them they are those stinking hipster low rise! errrrrrr!
    I don't want my butt crack to show when I'm sitting on my horse.

Non the less, I ordered 2 pair of "low rise" and I ordered them in longs. Maybe that will make them mid rise on me? lol

I just placed a 600 dollar order through Dover for breeches.
    Hopefully one of the many ordered will fit and be made of nice thick cotton!!

I actually broke through to the Cotton Natural Shapelys this time too. The waste bands always gap on me so maybe Shapelys will help!?

Ovation had a slimming breech that looked cool. So I added those to the order.
    And I really wanted those Goode Rider Cargo pants but they were back ordered. I'm all about instant gratification and have no patience for back ordered items.

Am I the only one who hates the trend of low rise?
    Or am I really missing out? Are they really that great?

Here are my FAVS!
    well kind of.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/riding-...2mqy45auhqzb55

Dover used to carry a second model. They were thicker cotton. Those shown are too transparent and felt cheap.
    I LOVE the Euro waste band. High and wide. : )
    But of course now I can't find the thicker style anywhere.

boooo!
    Debbie Downer here today.
    KMW
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Have you tried the Horze actives? I have a pair and they are heavy cotton and at least 8" too long for my 26" inseam.

1 members found this post helpful.

Meh. We're not all created equal. Low rise (At least the ones I own) fit nicely on me. More mid rise. The regular rise meet my bra and cut me in and half and make me look dumpy. But, then again, I'm 5'3" with short legs and long waist.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I don't want my butt crack to show when I'm sitting on my horse.
    I can't imagine why! Surely that would be a great look for you...

I found that the Tuff Rider "low rise" really weren't all that low--as least my butt isn't hanging out or I would have noticed the unappreciative onlookers!

I'm really surprised you find the cottons cooler in your humid weather. I've been wearing the TuffRider ribbed polys for years and find them much cooler. They are thick enough plus the texture of the ribbing hides anything that might be left to hide.

2 members found this post helpful.

Feel you, OP. Have been wearing the same style of breeches for years...just went all 2013 on myself and ordered two different pair that looked promising. Advertised as mid-rise...um, no, not on me. (Also long legs and a waist so short as to be non-existent). The things fit okay through hips, but the waist gaps like it's missing another person, and when I bend over all is revealed, and it ain't good. I didn't order longs, because I never have and it's been okay, but on these, one is just doable, and the other hits me about mid-calf. If these new style are saying something about the build of current and up-and-coming humans, I'm fixing to be extinct.

This trend is just getting to you now??? I've been bitching about low-rise breeches for what feels like years. No, they are not that great. My problem with them is that the waist gaps big enough for me to hide a watermelon - not useful or attractive. And I'm not curvy. Or tall, or short. Pikeur, pricy as they are, fit me really well, as do Trainer's Choice. Ariat - sometimes, TS are the worst. On Course pull ons used to be great for schooling - they stretch enough so they pretty much go (and stay) where you put them. But maybe they have changed? I haven't bought any in a long time.

3 members found this post helpful.

I can't figure out which demographic is making breech makers more money--teenagers who want "trendy" looks or middle-aged broads (like me) who really want comfortable fit and trouble-free fabrics more than some "look" or other.

I do know that the older I get, the fussier I am about fit! I wear the same size that I wore 15 years ago, and my weight is the same, but dang--the body parts are just not in the same place!

I hate wearing a belt, and do wish someone would come up with some sort of adjustable waistband--if breeches fit my butt and thighs they are too loose in the waist.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Kristen I wear these for schooling:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/riding-...hes/p/X1-3532/

and we arent built that different.

The front zips run smaller and are thicker material than the side zips. Usually last me about 6 months-a year then I start to get holes in the knees, but i paid $50 so i dont really care...

Velvet initiated a thread about this subject on the dressage forum. Here ya go!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Crack-Breeches
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I love the slimming Ovations. mine say low rise but they are more of a mid rise. And they really are slimming.

Ooo, I'm excited to try out the slimming Ovations!!

Rachel-I bought a pair of the front zip today! So guess we'll see!

Also, I prefer cotton because I look fat and nappy in the moisture wicking fabrics Thin cotton is too transparent.
    I like the thick cotton. Also, when I wear them at shows I don't have to wear tights underneath. Muy Bueno!!

I'll go check out the dressage thread!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Shout out to Equissentials -- which are NOT cheap, but are cotton blends and they will do custom sizing for the same price as off the rack sizes. For schooling, their "Grip Bums" or "Grip Knees" may be in your price range. Do not let the black color of the summer weight fabric fool you; these will keep you cool!

http://store.equissentials.net/index.php/ The website's been a bit odd lately, so I'd recommend calling them if you have questions.

Another plus: they are made in the USA!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post

(I had been using Tuff Rider Aerocool breeches but they changed the style slightly and they no longer work for me)
    What did they change about the Aerocools?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I am so down with this thread, thank you Purpl! I don't know what braintrust designs breeches but I HATE HATE HATE the styles and designs they are coming up with in the last few years.

These Do. Not. Fit. Me. And it's not just me.

The search for me now is down to the sport types, I have totally given up on trying to find a regular rise full seat breech in my size in a hefty, lump - helping fabric. I too have done the "order everything maybe one will fit" but went to Equestrian Collections for that, as I found they had more of my size in different types. But the upshot was.... 6 pairs ordered.... one pair fit well enough to keep.

I think the designers LOOK like they go to Wellington or some other H/J Land of Plenty for about 8 hours, watch a few rounds, hang out ringside a few hours, party a few hours, then fly back to Paris. Thus...those of us that BUY these things have to deal with this illusion that everyone wants their butt crack to show and everyone is a stick.

I have one OLD old pair of breeches I hunt in and they are literally unraveling. I am desperate to replace them before next season -- but I fear for the worst. The next best for me are Irideon and Kerrits stretch types, but can only wear those about half the year. They are not heavy enough for hunting for me, and don't disguise much in the way of lumps, either, but they didn't do the low rider crap as bad.

Oh woe is us who do not look like sticks but still want to ride!!!!

And a decent pair of denim breeches....HAH. Good luck with finding THOSE.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

If you can stand the extra layer, and if they fit, SmartPak's Ultra Capris are a really nice help with the lumps and bumps. I always wear them under white breeches
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I cannot stand low rise breeches!

I have a very short, chubby waist and long legs. I have given up on finding regular waist breeches. I buy the longs and wear them with the waist up under my bra. I figure that they might just hold in my chubby waist.

I remember watching George Morris give a clinic at Equine Affaire a few years ago. He was teaching a group of young, hunter princesses (I called them this, because that is how George described them). One of them had on the low rise breeches and could not keep her shirt tucked in, because her breeches went about half way down her butt when she was in two point. Needless to say, George was not kind to her.

Hopefully, some designer will read this thread, take pitty on us and design an "old style" type of breeches?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

If you buy overstocks, Tropical Rider has great stuff at affordable prices. She was nice enough to make me custom breeches, short-waisted, long legs for the sale price:

http://tropicalrider.com/product_detail.asp?p=140

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Shout out to Equissentials -- which are NOT cheap, but are cotton blends and they will do custom sizing for the same price as off the rack sizes. For schooling, their "Grip Bums" or "Grip Knees" may be in your price range. Do not let the black color of the summer weight fabric fool you; these will keep you cool!

http://store.equissentials.net/index.php/ The website's been a bit odd lately, so I'd recommend calling them if you have questions.

Another plus: they are made in the USA!
    Love these as well. I have several pairs and they *last*. The heavier weight fabric will last for years and years and years, the summer weight will still last quite some time but tends to wear out sooner simply because they are super thin (which is nice in the summer when it is hot).

I have a pair of their winter breeches I got custom like 4-5 years ago (probably more) and you couldn't tell how old they are, and as my only pair of winder breeches they get used a lot in the winter (only recently got another pair on sale).

I actually like the low but not too low rise. The regular rise look horrible on me. What I hate are the skin tight breeches that are the rage today. Who looks good in those? I'm thin and in shape and I hate them. I know people love FITS but I'm sorry there isn't a person on this planet that looks good with those grippy whatever's covering their ass! I love the old Tailored Sportsman fitted but slightly loose look. I also don't like how the material on alot of the breeches is getting thinner.

Buying breeches is getting as bad as buying a bathing suit. I tried on over a dozed pairs when I shopped a few months ago. Not fun! Rant over....

I actually like the low but not too low rise. The regular rise look horrible on me. What I hate are the skin tight breeches that are the rage today. Who looks good in those? I'm thin and in shape and I hate them. I know people love FITS but I'm sorry there isn't a person on this planet that looks good with those grippy whatever's covering their ass! I love the old Tailored Sportsman fitted but slightly loose look. I also don't like how the material on alot of the breeches is getting thinner.

Buying breeches is getting as bad as buying a bathing suit. I tried on over a dozed pairs when I shopped a few months ago. Not fun! Rant over....