The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to make new friends/adjust to an entirely new city? Relocation question...

I hope I'm not too late before the forum closes.

I'm 24 and will graduate in May with my MHA, and will be relocating to Greenville, SC for a residency in my specialty. The residency is actually located in a different city, but within driving distance.

I know almost no one in South Carolina. Maybe the parents of a friend who was in my MHA program, and some very nice waitresss who have given me their numbers . Besides that, nada. I know it's a risk, but my primary motivations for accepting the residency were:

*I liked the health system and I feel it's a place where I'll learn a lot
    *I've been wanting to leave Ohio for a long time
    *I love my family, but I'm curious how I will fare if I am more than a 2.5 hr drive

That said, I know it will be an adjustment that I'll have to make. My largest concern will be my ability to meet new people and have a new set of friends. I'm certainly not expecting to meet by BFF/future godparent of my child down there, but more like girlfriends/boyfriends my age who enjoy my interests.

I will be living very close to the downtown of Greenville, so hanging out down and around there is a bonus for me. Besides that, I've actually made a list of things I need to really try when I'm moved down:

Buckeye alumni/tailgating/football games
    Running group
    Lessoning at a H/J barn
    Adult ballet classes
    Match.com, Meetups
    Volunteering – humane society
    Lectures
    GirlfriendSocial.com
    GirlfriendCircles.com
    Rec softball
    Yoga classes

Can anyone give words of wisdom or advice?

Much thanks
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Buy horse.

Board it some place moderately busy.

Voila.

3 members found this post helpful.

My mom had great luck with www.meetup.com when she moved to Colorado. She found dog play groups, hiking clubs, and art classes that she loves.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Buy horse.

Board it some place moderately busy.

Voila.
    Thanks? I sure would love to, but I don't think that's in my first year plan/budget
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

If you're a church goer... A church family can be very supportive. As a corporate gypsy for many years, Church has been a support in several communities for my family.

Many places have a Newcomers Club, and I know people that have actually belonged to them for years. Many towns have something like this, and it's a great way to meet people, have some fun, and all in a group setting. Some have interest groups for different hobbies, hiking groups, or groups that eat at a different restaurant once a month.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

You sound like you're interested in fitness based on some of the places you want to check out. If thats the case, definitely check out your local CrossFit. Not only is it a killer workout but I know with most of the ones I've been to its a 20-50 age group (for the most part). Lots of fun, friendly (and fit!) people. Its a great community to be a part of. Only issue may be the price...most run from $100+/month and up.

The only thing I would add is a gym membership to a place with classes like Zumba. Show up early and chat the other women waiting.

Some places have great rates at gym's like the YMCA. And some cities have great recreation programs with fitness centers. If you are hoping to stay in the area, then professional organizations in your field might have local chapters, and be a good source of networking, and friends. If there is a university close to you there might be some great cultural performances available. And if there are particular charities you want to get involved in there are Relay for Life, or Race for the Cure event all over, and if that's not something you want to do there are probably a ton of volunteer opportunities for all types of groups.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I think the most important part if having the right attitude. It will be very easy for you to make dinner at home and watch a movie. Instead, make a consistent effort to get out. Instead of grabbing your coffee (or lunch or dinner) and running, take a seat at the counter and say hi to the person next to you.

Also, pursue future interaction. Met a nice woman at the gym? Ask for her number and call her later to grab lunch, take a hike, or meet again at the gym. Act like the social butterfly who arranges outings even if that's not what you're used to. It will pay off.

Finally, be brave. Go out on a limb to strike up a conversation. The worst thing that can happen is they're not interested in talking. But without trying, you'll never know.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica