The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet styles

Could anyone please tell me if it is still ok to wear the black and silver GPA speed airs or the Charles Owen GR8 with the grey stripe. I have both of these new and would prefer not to have to buy new ones but seem to be only seeing black these days. Yes I know the only important thing is protecting your head and the style/cost doesn't matter, but I do need to know for fashion reasons lol.

Both are definitely acceptable, in the hunters/eq I would go for the grey GR8 as it's a little less showy than the silver speed air.
    However, Charles Owen and GPA have very different shapes, so it's highly possible that one of these fits you poorly - if that is the case, use the one that fits best!

I've seen people ride with pink CO's, and win. It really doesn't matter what helmet you wear, as long as its safety certified. What matters is how you ride, and what you can afford!

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

2 members found this post helpful.

FYI, even if you don't see it because it's on your head, the silver gpa sometimes glares an can be pretty blinding in the sun. I would not wear one in the hunters or eq just incase a judge can't see you because of the glare. The Charles Owens aren't popular anymore, but they're perfectly acceptable and the judges won't care and honestly the sideline monkeys are just glad you're wearing an in style brand.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I have seen probably hundreds of people riding in gpa's with silver and can't say I have ever seen a noticeable glare. I would not hesitate to wear one in hunters or eq just based on that thought.

I would also say that Charles Owens are still quite popular in the hunter ring. True that most wear black instead of contrasting, the CO GR8 or AYR8 are just as popular for hunter/eq riders as GPA helmets are for jumpers, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    FYI, even if you don't see it because it's on your head, the silver gpa sometimes glares an can be pretty blinding in the sun. I would not wear one in the hunters or eq just incase a judge can't see you because of the glare. The Charles Owens aren't popular anymore, but they're perfectly acceptable and the judges won't care and honestly the sideline monkeys are just glad you're wearing an in style brand.
    When did the COs go out of style? I was at WEF a few times this winter and saw numerous riders wearing them. I saw as many as those ugly Speed Airs.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Who on earth are the sideline monkeys and why should they dictate anything? Geez, this sounds like high school.

Sorry I sound so cranky, but I read stuff like this over and over in these fashion threads. I show on a local level, but no one has ever said anything to me about my tack or clothes. The way people describe the railbirds at A shows, I am genuinely confused about why they seem to have so much power. Who are they, and why should anyone care what they think? If the judge doesn't care about the helmet brand, why should these "sideline monkeys" matter? And what do they actually do? Line up and make loud snide comments to each other? Give each participant a fashion report card? I honestly don't get it.
    Last edited by Dewey; Apr. 5, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

5 members found this post helpful.

^It sounds like high school because the railbirds are generally teenagers (like those who run the 2H0t2Tr0t twitter account).

Interestingly, I have found over the years that everyone - teenagers included - finds my faded velvet helmet fascinating and loves it.

OP seriously, wear what fits your head and don't worry about what other people think.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    ^It sounds like high school because the railbirds are generally teenagers (like those who run the 2H0t2Tr0t twitter account).

Interestingly, I have found over the years that everyone - teenagers included - finds my faded velvet helmet fascinating and loves it.

OP seriously, wear what fits your head and don't worry about what other people think.
    Long gone are the days where we used to leave our velvet helmets out on the fence in the sun to fade

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    When did the COs go out of style? I was at WEF a few times this winter and saw numerous riders wearing them. I saw as many as those ugly Speed Airs.
    Not the CO style, GR8s and AYR8s are very much in, but no one really wears the charcoal anymore. And the silver glare comes from personal experience being absolutely blinded by my trainer's son's helmet.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים