The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does Galway xc footing stay soft for the May event.

Is the footing the same in march and may? I have to watch carefully what the old man runs on

The footing at Galway is ALWAYS nice!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes it is. Just a heads up that SJ is on grass, so my whole "let's try Training barefoot behind" idea just got shot.

Figures...we went and schooled XC today with no hinds and had zero issues.

I saw that about sj running on grass. I wonder why. Do they not want to disturb those still riding dressage (granted I've not been to Galway for a few years, so it very well may not still the 4 dressage rings next to the sj ring). Plus then we'd run out of warm up space. Did I just answer my own question? Lol!

the cross country footing is prepared, so it is always pretty good. They like to change up the show jumping, sometimes it is down below where the dressage arenas are, and sometimes it is by the barns in the grass area. I haven't ridden in the grass arena, but it looks like a lot of fun. At the march event last spring my horse lost both shoes on cross country and I wouldn't have noticed but a shoe went flying past me. He wasn't sore at all and jumped clean the next day. That is how good the cross country footing is(it is all sand/dirt footing)

flyracing, I believe they run SJ in the grass ring at the smaller shows to keep things closer to the barns.

And I agree, the footing on XC is always amazing!

SJ is always run on the grass at Galway unless it's super muddy and then they will sometimes move it to the one of the other rings. Even the county shows only do the jumping rounds on the grass, and Hunters go on the dirt.

I beg to differ...I was just there last weekend and the SJ was held in the dirt arena, and it was held there for the big event in November, and the one last May.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Yes it is. Just a heads up that SJ is on grass, so my whole "let's try Training barefoot behind" idea just got shot.

Figures...we went and schooled XC today with no hinds and had zero issues.
    I know of a few hunters who have shown with all four feet unshod on the grass with no issues. Now, they don't get time penalties (at least not for going too slowly) but you don't exactly have to turn and burn to make the show jumping time.

FWIW, I did the stadium (Training level) on the grass field at Showpark years ago when they had events there with shoes but no studs. The horse would be NQR for about a week after using the studs so I decided it would be worth it to possibly incur some time penalties if I had to take a longer path to avoid slipping. Never had a time faults without the studs. This was a VERY brave and catty horse who did not worry if he slipped a bit. I wouldn't have done that with just any horse.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thank you Peggy. My guy is pretty catty as well. I'm just worried about adding one more thing to stress about at my first Training, lol!