The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Lol, never actually had this problem with friends. My best friend would come along with me when we were hanging out and I needed to go blanket or something, she wasn't horsey but I'd give her a 5 lb bag of carrots and she could pretty well look after herself. All the horses were well mannered when they were in their stalls and you were outside with orange tasty things. (Funny how that works...)
    Family, however... well, my Mom was definitely a problem for a while. She always wanted to ride my mare. She rode western as a kid and thought it was like riding a bike, but I ride English and my (off the track) mare (in training for jumpers) isn't really one to look after her rider. Finally my trainer told her that she was absolutely NOT to ride my horse and that ended it. When he says something, he expects you to listen and that can be verrryyyy handy.
    What's tricky is when I NEED my horse ridden and don't want to offend other people at my barn. I work for my trainer, so I hack a lot of horses. This makes it awkward when I need someone to ride my horse and I have to say, "While I'm gone, these people are NOT to ride my horse:" and list some of the people who own horses I hack. Why do I do this? Because when I did let one of these people ride my horse for a few days when she was on a REHAB stint, the woman (who, I might add, came with excellent references) decided to "teach my horse a lesson" and when I, flabbergasted, asked her why she decided to completely ignore my instructions, coolly replied that my horse is, "just a thoroughbred... besides, she's your first horse" and was surprised that I wasn't thankful for the "training" session. Yeah. You're never getting on my horse again.
    Haha, my trainer said that all my horse did was stand in the center of the arena and buck, though, so apparently this training session didn't get very far... but considering that she was supposed to be walking/trotting only at this point, it still made me pretty mad.

I tell them that I am more then happy to give them a lesson and tell them my rates. I have had people get annoyed saying they just wanted to ride. I then offer to sell them a horse, but tell them that lessons are the best place to start lol

5 members found this post helpful.

Ugh. A couple weeks back, one of the minority (5%) partners in our racehorses arranged to come out and see our new colt for the first time. She showed up with a friend and five children, none of whom I knew were coming, and who had also brought helmets.

I explained that my own horse was not suitable to ride, as she's been out of work since last year. (I didn't mention that the last kid who got on her, she stomped accidentally ) One of the kids tried to feed a finger to one of the broodmares and Freaked. Out. OMG.

We do have a little pony on the farm and I pulled him out...he's almost a mini so if anything happens you don't have far to fall. He was a very good boy and gave three or four of the kids their first (leadline) ride.

But yeah. You don't just show up to do one thing and say "Oh, we're ready to ride, too!"
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

1 members found this post helpful.

The time-honored answer to "Can I ride your horse?"
    is
    "Certainly, if you'll let me sleep with your wife/husband."

3 members found this post helpful.

I know it is frustrating when people ask you if they can ride your horse...I ride 30 hours a week for a job and people always ask to come ride at work with me You don't let me come mess around while you're at work?
    BUT. I was blessed with a sweet, kid safe mare and I love letting people ride her. I had no money for lessons when I was younger but some people took the time out of their day to let me ride and teach me and those are some of my best memories. I understand different reasons for people not letting others ride (insurance definitely being a legitimate one), but I feel so lucky to have my horse and if they get even a little bit of the joy I get when I ride her, it will be time well spent.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Ugh. A couple weeks back, one of the minority (5%) partners in our racehorses arranged to come out and see our new colt for the first time. She showed up with a friend and five children, none of whom I knew were coming, and who had also brought helmets.

I explained that my own horse was not suitable to ride, as she's been out of work since last year. (I didn't mention that the last kid who got on her, she stomped accidentally ) One of the kids tried to feed a finger to one of the broodmares and Freaked. Out. OMG.

We do have a little pony on the farm and I pulled him out...he's almost a mini so if anything happens you don't have far to fall. He was a very good boy and gave three or four of the kids their first (leadline) ride.

But yeah. You don't just show up to do one thing and say "Oh, we're ready to ride, too!"
    Five children. You handled that with class.

For the coworker types, I usually refer them to a lesson stable and tell them my horse is not appropriate. For the family/friend requests, i will let them ride with a helmet to cool the horse down after he has worked if I think the horse will be ok. For other horse people who have established their commitment level through lessons, I will usually offer a ride on my guy if they have taken an interest in him. No one else gets to ride regularly, but I am generally generous in offering once in a while "treats" to those with less experience but demonstrated committment to the sport.

I have a knack for teaching lateral work to horses and knowing how helpful it was to me to be able to sit on a horse who truly moved off my seat, I want to help others experience that as well. The saying "you can't teach what you haven't ridden" is pretty true, so I help out when I can.

2 members found this post helpful.

A couple of summers ago I was doing some part time baby sitting for a lady at church, while the kids were out of school. We were going over the schedule, and she mentioned on X day of the week, they got out of camp at X o'clock, and then I could take them for their riding lesson afterwards. I said Oh, cool, they're riding now? (Had never heard horses mentioned before.) Mom looked at me funny. I said, again, Are they taking lessons somewhere? She said Oh, don't you have a horse still? I thought you had horses...

Seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I tell them that I am more then happy to give them a lesson and tell them my rates. I have had people get annoyed saying they just wanted to ride. I then offer to sell them a horse, but tell them that lessons are the best place to start lol
    ^This. However, there is an older woman in our community (70+) who used to ride (trails I guess) 40 years ago. She loves horses and just wants to come out and go on a short trail ride. Impossible to convince her that I really can't accommodate her. Her age and the thought of her even trying to get on the quietest thing I've got makes my teeth itch. I just keep telling her no...it never sinks in...but she won't be getting on anything at our farm.

My current guy is over 16.2 & 1,356 lbs. I will allow almost any one up on him ... to be led by me, once around the yard for a "pony" ride.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    A couple of summers ago I was doing some part time baby sitting for a lady at church, while the kids were out of school. We were going over the schedule, and she mentioned on X day of the week, they got out of camp at X o'clock, and then I could take them for their riding lesson afterwards. I said Oh, cool, they're riding now? (Had never heard horses mentioned before.) Mom looked at me funny. I said, again, Are they taking lessons somewhere? She said Oh, don't you have a horse still? I thought you had horses...

Seriously???
    That is horrifying.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Nice to see so many others with the same issues! DH and I just got married, and my new MIL is so excited about me having a horse that aparently she went around to all of her friends at church and told them about my "pretty painted horse like the indians used to ride". Now whenever I see these ladies they are always like "oh my granddaughter loves horses" or "oh where do you keep your horse we should come and ride". I always say that my horse isn't beginner safe and then throw in the liability line, which works for most of them. Now I'm just dealing with my FIL who is all things an expert on, including now horse breeds like Appaloose (said like it's spelled), race horses (I'm assuming TB's), draft horses, and I guess at the show yesterday he was proud of himself for pointing out a Tennessee Walker (actually just an excited jigging horse) to the judge! I was mortified, have to figure out how to tell DH nicely that FIL should not be talking to the judge at a show while I am competing! Gotta love non horse people, especially when they are your inlaws....
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I have never been one to let people ride my personal horses. My kid's horse is another matter, but only a pony ride with me leading. That gets old pretty fast especially if you are an adult. I just say " I never let anyone ride my horse. ever". That pretty well gets the message across. If they want to ride they can pay for a lesson.

I don't mind answering: "Great! which one do you want to ride? The one who bucks, the one who bites, or the one who rears?"

Quote Originally Posted by blackstallion2 View Post
    I don't mind answering: "Great! which one do you want to ride? The one who bucks, the one who bites, or the one who rears?"
    This is a great response! Do you mind if I "steal" a version of this?
    "Do you want to ride the one that kicked me in the boob, or the one that did his level best to run me over?"

LOL because the arab I give lessons on is a lease and my boyfriend forgets about her when people ask to ride before I can even say yes or no (usually yes) he will come flying in from somewhere and start telling them about my wild crazy man eating TWH.... *sigh* it's mostly true and I'd never let someone "ride" her but they could give her treats and she good with pony rides, however by the time he's done rattling on about how she tried to "kill him" this one time they're looking at me like i'm nuts and all I can do is smile and shrug needless to say even with an invite to just feed or get a pony ride on arab mare most people are like "we're ok thanks!" "maybe ummmm later..."

Caradino, If you need to borrow my bf to scare this guy off I promise he'll do a good job!! He'll mention how you know literally like EVERYTHING about horses and are basically an expert but that sometimes your pony will even try to kill you! It can be embarrassing but after talking to him no one ever wants to ride that's for sure! :P
    Last edited by Stushica; Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: I can't speeel

Quote Originally Posted by blackstallion2 View Post
    This is pretty much what I say as well: "Take your pick: the one that bucks and bolts, or the one who rears". I say it with humor, but back it by saying that, if they want to purchase an approved riding helmet and sign a liability waiver, I'll be happy to put them on a horse, but that the two I have that are rideable (nobody rides 24 yo retiree, not even me) were purchased for me as competition mounts. I'm willing to overlook the, erm, "quirks" in favor of the talent because I can ride it, but I make no bones about the fact that neither is a suitable beginner's horse. No one has pushed it after that. Also, requiring the purchase of an approved, riding (not bike) helmet generally discourages the ones that are only looking to you for a freebie. Helmets are the most important piece of equipment for a newbie and should fit the rider well. I only have mine, and they can purchase the schooling/trail riding-style ones for around $50.00. If I want to learn golf, even if a friend loans me a set of clubs, I still have to pay the greens fee...

I just glare at them and I ask

You can ride? Or you've just ridden?
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I was blessed with a saint of an older TWH. He had little to no spook, his default mode was "stop", and he tolerated all sorts of nonsense. Naturally his fate in life was to pack around all the kids/clueless adults.

I don't think he'd ever been more than a trail horse all his life, so as a bonus he had no real training to ruin whatsoever. I also ended up riding him in a bitless bridle, so no one was hurting his mouth, either.

One time a lady dismounted and left her foot in the stirrup. Naturally her boot got stuck in the stirrup, so she was hopping up and down next to him while he stood there looking at her like she was a loon. There really wasn't anybody better to put noobs up on, and he LOVED trail riding.

He was the best horse an idiot 19 year old girl could have, and I miss him still. If you have the right sort of horse, it can be a real pleasure to share! I totally understand where everyone else is coming from in the 'no, MINE' category too, though. Not everyone can own awesome Walkers.