The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I've had people ask if they could bring their kids out to ride my horse. I just say, she's a competition horse and probably not safe for kids. That usually ends the conversation without anyone feeling hurt about it.

The truth is, I have had beginners on my horse, but only when the circumstances are ideal (indoor arena not crowded, good weather, horse had lots of turnout, etc.). These were family members and so were more likely to listen and take me seriously when I told them, just press your legs gently - don't kick if you want my horse to move forward. lol.

Most people don't get the concept of a boarding barn. They think all we do is tottle around in nice weather on dude ranch horses.... Oh you ride INSIDE? with heat? Uh.... yeah...........

No, we don't have horses for the public to ride. No, we don't have trails.

I only have one friend's daughter ride my horse like once a year. My horse is a semi- hot dressage horse and I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Want to ride? pay money for lessons or a trail ride horse like the rest of us do/did.

I have so many coworkers assume they can come out to see the barn and have the kids ride my horse. Its really quite amazing. The barn allows people to ride, but I just don't like hosting people at a boarding barn with lots of activity where they could inadvertendly do something stupid. They are my guests and I don't need the stress.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have zero problem telling someone "No. It would the about 15 minutes for someone to undo months of training and I don't want to pay your medical if you can't ride her."

I've seen perfectly good horses get cowboyed, hurt and generally ruined.

I had a student at the college I worked at tell me she was going.to come out and ride my fresh off the track gelding. I told her "No. You are NOT coming out. He's not refrained, and I go to the barn to get away from people and enjoy what I work to pay for.". She walked away in a huff and didnt like me anymore because I was rude and selfish, but nobody ever asked after that.

ETA, when its a small child, (my children's friends) I'm much more softer, but I have the type of demeanor that nobody presses the issue. I just say "I don't have the insurance to pay for a rider outside my household. So, no you can't come ride. I'm really sorry." I really do speak that way to the kids, they don't push the issue and then I give them ideas on how they can get into riding so they can bug their parents about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just don't want to share. I don't want anyone messing with my boy, or annoying him, or getting on his mouth, or anything....I just don't. I don't feel bad about being selfish this way. I've had other horses, elderly rescues, that were kid safe and saintly in their tolerance of adult newbies. But my paint horse, just no....

Hmm reading this thread got me thinking that I actually don't have any non-horsey friends or co-workers LOL!
    I do however have relatives that have asked and I have gladly taken them out on trail rides. And if I don't have a horse that suits a them weight/ height, etc then I've borrowed horses from friends. Of course I wouldn't put them on any of my greenies or something they'd get hurt on.
    All I can think is that I must have better relationships with the people I know than y'all. LMAO!
    OP- If he's your good friend, do you have someone you could borrow a suitable horse from?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Don't ever assume that in the event of an accident, your "better relationships" will keep the "people you know", or your "good friends" from suing you or your insurance company.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Don't ever assume that in the event of an accident, your "better relationships" will keep the "people you know", or your "good friends" from suing you or your insurance company.
    I am willing to live with that. What I refuse to do is spend my every waking moment being dictated by the fear of possibly being sued.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    I don't know how many people over the years have had their first ride on my 29 year old retired eventer-foxhunter, Dash, who I've had for 24 years. In the indoor arena, he is very safe, and knows that rookies mean brushing, very little work, and carrots (e.i. attention.) In lessons we are working on canter pirouettes and such.

Last fall my niece and her four year old were visiting, and Josie (my great niece) got lead around on Dash for 15 minutes, then lead Dash around for 30 minutes, mostly at a trot (I had another lead rope on the far side to make sure Josie didn't get stepped on.) Dash is the only horse I know who can roll his eyes.

We have found that about 80% of people who ask to come out and see the horses never get around to it.

This is SO true, My chestnut arabian mare that I use for beginner "lessons" is a saint to the kiddos to tack up and ride. Had a lesson with a 10yr old last night that she trucked around like a pro in the arena (it was so cute!!)

However If I take her on the trails or to an endurance ride she is HOT HOT HOT she's this prancing fire breathing arab We're working on relaxing on the trail but there's no way anyone but myself or the lady that actually owns her (who is like eh no thanks!) would be allowed out of the arena at this time.

I have to say I agree with Hosspuller, in the sense that I have been grateful when others allowed me to ride! As a teeny tiny barely toddler who loved petting my neighbor's little pony, I was given the chance to RIDE the pony! It was thrilling! i rode in the front of my mom's saddle for ages as a little tyke, and then, at a friend's ranch, they just let us (me and another tot) be babysat by "Buster" and "Suzy the mule". No adults. Just us. No helmets! I am quite sure my mom would not even have conceived of the idea of a law suit if something happened. Ranchs all the time would loan horses back and forth.

So, in that sense, I love seeing people get started! I would not do it on an inappropriate horse. I would not do it without supervision! i would not do with people I did not like or trust (and I feel no need to defend my opinions about these people). But it is, as others have commented, very rewarding to see others come to love riding and horses!

4 members found this post helpful.

We had a Paso Fino mare in our rescue for a while. She was the first one I had ever been on. What a blast! She had the best manners but she sure didn't believe in wasting any time

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    I have let other horse owners, etc. at my barn ride my horse (only in the indoor) IF they are experienced. He's definitely not beginner friendly but I really get a kick out of giving people a Paso Fino experience and he has never misbehaved.

But no, I wouldn't let anyone on him unless they were a GOOD rider.

I don't think the non-horsey set realizes how scary it is for *me* to put them up on my horse. I do everything I can to make sure they will be safe, but once they are up there, I can't reach in and catch them with a giant pitcher's mitt if they come off.

And I think the people who treat this too casually-- as if my horse is like borrowing a car-- are the people who would allow a lawsuit to happen.

Usually, I'm up front with *why* their riding the horse isn't a good idea. After all, he's a 1,000 pounder with the brain the size of an orange.

But the horse takes care of things, too. They are usually impressed by the time they are up close next to him and grooming him.... and the beast is tied up by both sides of his head! If I turn him out first to do some playing or let them get him to "join up", they get that they might not want to sit on this large, free-willed animal.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I too am thankful that other people let me ride their nice horses so I could learn how to ride. You know how I got that privilege? I worked for it. I stayed at the barn grooming, doing turnouts, feeding, etc.

I didn't just ask someone else to babysit me while I rode their horse that they bought, paid for every month, and is now missing a ride on so I can tell them what a great cowboy I am.
    I am generous with my horses but in the same way people were generous with me. Demonstrate a littlew want to and work ethic and we can see about it.

6 members found this post helpful.

I hate that too...and I was just thinking of this the other day. I have had so many people ask me and my horse is only for an advanced rider and I don't want them (or my horse) getting injured! I once said to a friend who regularly insisted that my horse was not the community pony ride and if they were looking for that they need to contact the appropriate facilities and expect to pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I too am thankful that other people let me ride their nice horses so I could learn how to ride. You know how I got that privilege? I worked for it. I stayed at the barn grooming, doing turnouts, feeding, etc.

I didn't just ask someone else to babysit me while I rode their horse that they bought, paid for every month, and is now missing a ride on so I can tell them what a great cowboy I am.
    I am generous with my horses but in the same way people were generous with me. Demonstrate a littlew want to and work ethic and we can see about it.
    If I had a friend like this who was willing to take lessons and gain more horse experience before I let them...I would be all for it. I understand not everyone can afford a horse of their own to ride and if you are a suitable level and match for my horse, there would be no reason why you couldn't take him/her out for a ride around the arena. But those who think we are just going to lend our horses out to any old person for a joy ride whenever they want are insane! Moreover, it's an insult to us and other in the horse industry who have worked hard to get where they are today with their horses, only to have someone not appreciate that or comprehend the significance of what they are asking us to let them do.

Well, really the only people I've ever met that were quick to be generous with their horses were horse dealers. I'll forever be grateful to the folks that let my mom lease that pony for me, they were horse dealers as well as breeders.

The rest of you, can't you come up with some win win solution besides "go away look don't touch just say no no no"? Keep your trainer's card in your pocket and sing the praises of her lesson program or something? It's really hard for a lot of adults to walk into a big lesson barn and take lessons alongside 8 year olds. Adults have issues specific to them and unless they are learning alongside their kids sometimes they just won't/can't get over their pride and expectations of competence. My SIL admitted to me that she just thought "she and the horse would have a bond" and it really wasn't that easy. She also didn't have a problem once confronted with "I can take you riding" with telling her weight, and arriving prepared, with proper shoes and comfortable pants. And best of all, she hasn't bugged me about it since!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I like that Ferrari example. I can't believe people are so entitled and rude. You want to ride my horse? Sure. Hey, that's a great diamond engagement ring you're wearing! Just let me wear it for a couple of weeks to see if I like it enough to get one for myself. Geez!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

And, as well, at this very moment is a thread in H/J complaining about prospective clients never getting a call back. So if you say, take lessons, what good does it do if they get lost in the shuffle? Of course they are going to pester you, you are accessible.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

These are all great stories and examples!

I have allowed selected guests on lazy ol' Appendix gelding -- them sitting in the saddle, me leading around the arena. My old guy simply sighed, tuned them out and followed me around. He knew there were ample cookies to follow.

But I also love the stories of the clueless and entitled. Some years ago, I did the announcing for a small huntseat show that was run during a Labor Day fair. It all looked legit: owners wearing coats, helmets and numbers; horses braided, etc. So fair-goers would watch a class -- even one over a 2-foot course -- then come up to me asking, "can my kid ride that pony next?"

My favorite response is to get a horrified look on my face and say "Oh god no, he's CRAZY!!!" Never had anybody press after that ;-)

However I do often invite them out to meet him and give him carrots. I think that is a more appropriate way for somebody to display their interest. "Hey, can I come out and meet your horse?" Then let the owner decide if they want to offer to let the person ride or not. Otherwise it's incredibly rude to just invite yourself or assume it's ok.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

My last horse WAS rideable by anyone. He was a saint. But I never actually had anyone ask to ride him except TWO people at work, one a former eventer and Pony Clubber, and the other a windsurfer (i.e., athletic and in good shape). I borrowed another horse and took each on a quiet trail ride - with a little trotting - and he cheerfully played the part of rent horse. The one I have now - a semi-joking "I don't have enough liability insurance" is usually MORE than enough to discourage anyone (especially after I showed up with my arm in a cast). The more likely scenario - even from people who know how to ride, but have seen him scoot 15 feet sideways, or whip around when someone drops a bucket - is, "Lovely horse, glad YOU can ride him!" (He's actualy much better behaved now, but people remember the early years....)