The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ArabDiva View Post
    I just tell them it's a liability and I don't have the right kind of insurance. Problem solved.
    Yes! This is what I say too as a last resort, if, 'my horse is not beginner safe' doesn't work. And they have no argument with that one.

Well, actually, if someone asks to ride my horse and they're not a rider whom I'd trust with my horse, I just smile sweetly and say "No."

If you don't give them a reason, they can't argue with you.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't even bother telling people I have horses. They can't ask if they don't know. None of my co-workers, none of my non-barn casual acquaintances know I have horses. I don't talk "horse" around non-horse folk, it's like my dirty little secret.

I don't have to tell anyone no, don't have to give them explanations they likely wouldn't consider valid and I don't end up being the big mean poopy pants snobby horse person that won't let them/their kids ride my horses.

I usually tell people that my vet has put a weight limit of about 160 lbs. on either of my horses. He did tell me that for my arthritic gelding, but my Arab mare could handle more than that.

Either which way, the people that have asked to ride have been over 160 lbs. They all just kind of backed down when I bring up the weight thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    He's definitely not beginner friendly but I really get a kick out of giving people a Paso Fino experience and he has never misbehaved.
    I remember that feeling. It's especially fun to take riders of other gaited breeds and send them out for a spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

I say no sorry I don't let ANY ONE ride my horse, which is the truth! Add that she is young, hot, and thinks a buck and a hop are fun.... It just would not be possible.

But "no sorry, I am the only one that rides her" works.

I have trouble understanding the mind set of people who think they are entitled to ride just because you have horses. Would I go help myself to their golf clubs or show up to swim on a hot day with no invitation? If I was able to make horses available to the general populace I would run a lesson barn. But I am not qualified to teach, nor are my horses qualified as beginner friendly. I guess I resent attempts to make me feel guilty because I am not "sharing" them with anyone who wants to ride. I have no problem saying no, and have done so, but to one person who repeatedly accosted me about it, I suggested they join me for feeding and stall cleaning at 6 a.m. followed by dragging and watering the arena, hauling up hay and shavings, and cleaning pastures so they could spend time around the horses. in the heat of the summer. It worked.

7 members found this post helpful.

An old riding buddy of mine who hasn't been on a horse in 10 years asked to ride mine last time she was in town. Much as I love her, her confidence about being able to pick up where she left off worried me, and in all honesty her skill and riding style just aren't a good match for this sensitive horse. I ended up scheduling a clinic ride the morning of her visit so my horse would conveniently be too tuckered out. For people that aren't close horsey friends or family the liability issue usually makes it clear why the answer is "no".

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Does noone here own a longe line?

I've put the wannabes up on my TB (who still had a spook at 27yo) then walked them with me at his head.
    If they seemed secure and wanted more I'd send them out on the longe line at the walk.
    Still good? Trot some.
    That gait usually sorted out the sheepsies from the goatsies.

I did have one coworker who told me he used to ride at home (Switzerland).
    I put him on the line and 5min later he was jumping a small course.
    Some people don't fib about their ability.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

7 members found this post helpful.

I find all these long-winded "explanations" people give very funny.

For me, "No." is a complete sentence as is. No explanations necessary. Works wonderfully & has yet to leave me with any sort of angst.

3 members found this post helpful.

Weighing in (no pun intended) to note that between the Haffy, the dressagies, the Paso Fino, the Saddlebreds, the TBs, and I think Arab, this thread has pulled out a tremendous diversity of COTHers. Which is great!

3 members found this post helpful.

After 6 months of watching me ice my back from my horse dumping me, and knowing that I take a lot of lessons and work with trainers all the time - none of my coworkers are about to ask if they or their darlings can get on my horse. Most of my horse friends who are better riders than I am don't ask either. I do get "can we come see your horses and pet them?" which the horses love, so I encourage, though.

Conveniently, we have my mom's horse who it turns out thinks being led around the arena with a clueless complete beginner on her is a total blast. She's a Friesian/Andalusian cross with the correspondingly fairly smooth gaits (though not like a Paso Fino or other gaited horse - I'd love to have somewhere to pay for a trail ride on them to get to experience!) at least w/t. I've had some beginners do really well on her, and my friend from college who hadn't ridden in a long time but has a lot of knowledge and experience got along with her incredibly well.

My problem is more like Gloria's statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    My experience is, many times you cannot tell a beginner that he/she is a beginner, or that the horse/pony is not beginner friendly... They ALL think they are experts, and that your statement about pony not beginner friendly don't apply to them.
    I do not let anyone besides pros on any of our horses without a helmet. I ride in a helmet. A friend who has apparently gone on trail rides on horses from trail strings a few times believes herself an experienced rider and thinks she should be able to ride without a helmet. We have invited her to ride - as I said, Mom's horse actually enjoys being the pony ride horse! However, I'm afraid she won't listen so well and will kick this horse like she means it and fall off when she canters, or that life will happen and something will spook the horse. I just kept repeating "no, we need to get you a helmet before you try to ride her." Because, yeah, I'm not going to be flexible about it, and I'm not letting her just "take the horse out on a trail ride" like she thinks she could do, especially if I haven't seen her ride at all yet. The overconfidence from someone who I know has only ridden on trails on trail string type horses and never taken lessons of any type makes me pretty certain she wouldn't do well unsupervised on a horse who isn't as steady eddy as trail string horses are. I would go out with her on a horse who can handle it (probably borrowed from a neighbor, though we'll see how my TB does when he gets back) but no way am I sending her out alone!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I had a friend that was on the tall side - probably 6'5" at least, who would always tell me that he wanted to learn how to ride/come ride with me. Which would be no problem, except my gelding is narrow, about 15.2, and doesn't handle bigger people easily at all. On top of that, he just absolutely not suited for a beginner. I finally had to tell said friend that if he wanted to ride, he should go take lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Does noone here own a longe line?

I've put the wannabes up on my TB (who still had a spook at 27yo) then walked them with me at his head.
    If they seemed secure and wanted more I'd send them out on the longe line at the walk.
    Still good? Trot some.
    That gait usually sorted out the sheepsies from the goatsies.

I did have one coworker who told me he used to ride at home (Switzerland).
    I put him on the line and 5min later he was jumping a small course.
    Some people don't fib about their ability.
    I have a lunge line, I just don't want other people on my horses. That is really the bottom line for me. I tried putting my husband's niece (at his insistence) on my usually calm arabian a few year ago and between her curling into the fetal position and impersonating a howler monkey every time he moved my horse was not sure whether to bolt or just lay down and die. Never again.

6 members found this post helpful.

Just say he doesnt meet the height,weight or age requirements for the ride

I don't even OWN "my" horse (I lease), and I have had people ask to "come out and try her". Um, NO. I say "she is not mine, nobody else is allowed to ride her" and they say "oh come on, it's not like I will break her!" And I respond "actually, sometimes she is used by her owner (my trainer) for advanced lessons. Here is trainer's number, she might have some lesson spots!" Oddly, nobody seems interested in following up to pay for a lesson...

So what if the horse is beginner-friendly? The answer is still no! My superchill hunter is a former children's packer whose top speed is droopy-lip-slack-hip, and I wouldn't let random acquaintances ride her with a ten-foot pole.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Well I suppose I'm the odd man out! I do let others ride my horse on a fairly regular basis. She's as bombproof as they come, and usually the "I've ridden on tons of trail rides" types sit there trying to get her to walk the whole ride.

She's a beginner lesson horse but she's also my 4 foot jumper and a former racehorse. If you press the right buttons, she will boogey. Fortunately, she is very good about judging the real ability of her rider and oh boy, has she ever humbled people!

I'm also the first person to say "Hey, I don't have time to ride. If you want extra saddle time, hop on" to other boarders.

However, I don't have a problem saying no. My mom wanted my cousins (older kids, but not teens) to come ride. I said "sure, but they'll need a helmet and mine won't fit". She was pretty annoyed, but I held my ground.

And everybody (or their parents) who gets on my horse signs a waiver and gets the "If you die/get dismembered/end up in a hospital, it ain't my problem" speech.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm always tempted to say "Sure, you can ride my horse. Can I sleep with your husband?"

(but, I don't on the off chance that someone might say "Ok, sounds good!")

14 members found this post helpful.

And another thing!

They don't want to learn how to ride my horse, my project, my money pit. Anyone whom I think won't take him seriously as a living thing who was taught a hell of a lot before they got on gets no access.

OTOH, I grew up riding other people's horses. I was taught that a really finished horse should be able to teach someone else to ride. So I'm happy to try and accommodate people who do want to appreciate my horse.

I'm paranoid about someone getting hurt, even if I give them detailed directions and set things up so that I can control all of it. Usually, by the time they get on or past a walk on the lunge line, they are suitably impressed with the "not car or bike"-ness of a horse.

And another, another thing!: No making up excuses about insurance and whatnot. Man Up, tell the truth, say no and let the other guy deal with his/her feelings. If you are kind about how you say no, their disappointment isn't your business.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.