The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Dating WWYD

So, I'm casually doing the online dating thing. Not too serious about it because I live a fulfilling life in the real world. But the other day I was contacted by this guy who seemed from this profile a good fit. Outdoorsey, educated (he's a lawyer) and from his messages, very witty and funny.

Now, I always do a little sleuthing on someone that I feel may progress into a meeting and what I found about this man is interesting. He's quite open about himself on Reddit.

He has severe bipolar disorder. He takes meds but is often worried that he comes across as crazy to other people.

Last month, he posted on a forum for Woman's Day about having been "raped" by a woman. From his story she was a friend of his that contacted him about doing a "friends with benefits" thing as she felt he could teach her some things because he was much more experienced in that arena. She was coming from out of town and was going to be staying with him at his home. She came over, they had consentual relations and then the next morning she initiated activities to which he says he felt pressured and obligated to perform, ergo, he felt he was sexually assulted. ??? To which my initial reaction is "Whatever happened to just saying 'No. This isn't right.' and be done with it." Now he's saying that his libido is shot and he has serious performance anxiety about being with any other woman.

So, this was quite the other side to the guy that asked me out for this weekend. Based on knowing this, would you chance a meeting or duck out gracefully?

Run away, run far far away

35 members found this post helpful.

Run
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

3 members found this post helpful.

While I have several friends with mood disorders, and would never shy away from someone just because of that....

...you haven't even met this guy yet. And he's already posting online about "performance issues."

Run away. Quickly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Why would you not run away from this?

A guy who is saying he was raped (not saying guys are not raped) after a meeting up with a FWB who traveled into town just for a hook up.
    Do you really want to find out the hard way if he will say you raped him?

5 members found this post helpful.

Not with a ten foot pole.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Everyone has baggage, and it's up to you to decide whether or not that's baggage you want to deal with. Me, personally? I look at it like a horse that's either rank or not a good match - there are too many other nice ones out there to waste my time on one that might have "issues." In this case, I'd probably bail.

RUN AWAY. Seriously.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Yeah, no. Avoid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Why would you not run away from this?
    I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and often do it at my own demise. This I know. What I found online is a complete 180 from the 1 on 1 interaction I've had with him thus far. The bi-polar thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the rape thing but who knows what the whole story is on that.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Everyone has baggage, and it's up to you to decide whether or not that's baggage you want to deal with. Me, personally? I look at it like a horse that's either rank or not a good match - there are too many other nice ones out there to waste my time on one that might have "issues." In this case, I'd probably bail.

This is a very good point and I love how you put it in a way that a horse girl can relate to! Thanks! My problem is I can't seem to find the nice two legged ones. I have no problem finding drool worthy horses. Men - not so much! LOL!

It's also telling to me that he posted about such personal things. On one hand, it's giving you a good heads up. On the other, it's letting you know that your own stuff could easily end up hashed over online.

There are riders out there who will take a dirty spook or a nasty buck to get great performance in other areas. I'm not one of them.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jess h View Post
    It's also telling to me that he posted about such personal things. On one hand, it's giving you a good heads up. On the other, it's letting you know that your own stuff could easily end up hashed over online.
    And this is exactly why I posed the question - I get perspectives I hadn't thought about and this is one that hadn't crossed my mind.

Thank you!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    This is a very good point and I love how you put it in a way that a horse girl can relate to! Thanks! My problem is I can't seem to find the nice two legged ones. I have no problem finding drool worthy horses. Men - not so much! LOL!
    Oh, honey, believe me when I say that I understand! The stories I could tell you about the men I've dated!

Hang in there, though. I know it's really hard and doesn't necessarily get easier as one gets older, but the right person will come along when he's meant to. Whether it's via online or whatever. I dated almost exclusively online for several years because I had such a difficult time meeting men "IRL." Finally, I met Mr. SeeU about 2.5 years ago through a mutual friend. He wasn't at all what I expected myself to end up with, and we have our ups and downs, but he's a good person and he makes me happy. If it happened for me, it will happen for you, too!

RUN......don't ever look back.

Don't even think about it. This guy is trouble, posts everything online, and if you think everything about you won't end up posted, then forget it. Of course, if you want to end up on Judge Judy someday, then this might be a good way to do it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I am thinking your alarmbells are ringing loud enough to ask 20.000 strangers, I think you knew the answer all along....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

City of delusion in the state of total denial

If you found this information easily, it tells you something about his boundaries.

Make sure you're actually looking at the same Michael Jones before you run the other way... but run the other way.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

No - just - no.

I dated a guy for some years who early in our relationship I found a super nasty Live Journal exchange between he and an ex (an ex he supposedly got over because of me). At the time I chalked it up to SHE was batshit crazy.

Fast forward 4 years, I'd dumped him due to the fact that he'd not worked in 3 of those years. He hacked my email and FB account and sent a crazy email to everyone on my facebook including work contacts. Turns out, maybe the girlfriend contributed, but he was the one who created it.

Go for it...if you want some crazy person in your life who will test your patience, challenge your sense of safety, AND put all your crap on the interweb for all to see.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).