The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I actually do think you can get away with flats, since as you said, it's a young, tech-y company, and you yourself are young. However, the ones you posted are a little too casual--a more structured, maybe pointy-toed flat would be much more appropriate. Something similar to these: http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category...1801/71801.jsp

Or, if you don't do pointy, these: http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category...0170/10170.jsp

(just fwi, I only went to JCrew because I'm feeling lazy right now...you can get similar shapes/styles for much less $$ elsewhere).

I do agree that heels are most professional, however, I do think nude would look better with navy than black. Or, you could go really nuts and wear a colored heel--as long as the shoe is on the conservative side (a heel not much over 3", no crazy platform, etc) I think a shot of color would add interest to your outfit while still looking professional.

Ok--edited now that I actually read the thread and see that a new purchase isn't an option right now. Go with the nude then.

Well, I do definitely think you can wear those cute green flats once you get the job (which I hope you will!). I'm an attorney, and I wear a suit every day to work. Honestly, my shoes are the one thing about my outfits that is not always conservative. I would absolutely wear that color of green shoes to work, although not in a ballet flat.

Additionally, there is an advertising agency in my building (young, trendy people working there), and they wear outfits like what you described ALL the time! I always see them in the elevator and assume that they think I am the most boring person alive, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    If on your first interview you observed they don't wear strict, very formal business attire at the office, wouldn't it be a mistake to stick to strict, very formal business attire for the second interview- indicates you're not paying attention and not willing to try to fit in? go a little more casual for the second one.

Yes, don't wear colors- only neutral stuff, black, white, gray, dark blues. Colors admit to personality, and you don't want to display yours until after you get hired.
    That's my slight concern...they are REALLY casual. I want to come across as professional and polite, but not stuffy.

I may have blown it on the color thing, as my first outfit had bright pink stripes. But they stress a family environment and actually asked me questions about my personality/etc in order to see if I'd fit in with the "vibe".

If I go with plain heels, I'll probably go a little more unique with necklace/earrings.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Or, you could go really nuts and wear a colored heel--as long as the shoe is on the conservative side (a heel not much over 3", no crazy platform, etc) I think a shot of color would add interest to your outfit while still looking professional.
    I WISH I had a good pair of colorful heels! All I've got are bright strappy sandals, which are obviously not appropriate. Colorful heels would be the perfect blend of professional/fun.

-sigh- I think I may have talked myself into swinging by the mall JUST TO LOOK after work.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Well, I do definitely think you can wear those cute green flats once you get the job (which I hope you will!).
    Believe it or not, unless paired with jeans and a loose t-shirt (which would work), those flats would be a little too fancy for the office. Maybe I just walked in on a particularly casual day (first warm day, a Friday), but I'm talking girls in yoga pants and Uggs.

During my interview, in a response to one of my questions about the "feel" of the company, they noted (with shock, so it wasn't purposeful) that the oldest person in the main headquarters office was 42.

Don't stress too much. The job I had before this one was at a high tech startup in a Boston suburb. VERY casual...many people wore shorts and Hawaiin shirts to work. First interview I wore a business suit, as I always do when walking into the unkown. When I was called back for a second interview (obviously the suit didn't turn them off too much!), I still wore business clothing, but toned down the formality. Straight skirt (just above the knee), solid colored knit, short sleeved, top. No hose (it was summer), flat shoes. Not sloppy or really casual, but not all super uptight.

You clearly didn't blow it with bright color on the first interview, because they've asked you back!

I posted it in the first post too, but I already have these shoes in flat black:
    http://www.payless.com/store/product...layName=Womens

and I went and grabbed them in the patent navy and the light blush pink. I have to say, for $20.00 shoes, these are unbelievably comfortable. I have many pairs of VERY expensive shoes that hurt my feet after an hour, and I've worn my black version of these to walk around in and been very comfortable.

So, what started off as a "Will these shoes work because I don't want to go buy more?" thread turned into a "I went and bought new shoes...." thread.

Let me tell you something. I interviewed for a job at a business professional atmosphere. Because I have knee issues, I wore pants and black (OMG) sneakers. NO ONE NOTICED. I got the job and when I went into HR to accept, she gave me a dress code sheet. I told her that I have bad knees and a doctor's note to wear the sneakers. She asked me what I wore for the interview and I told her the sneakers. Guess what? She never noticed what shoes I wore. I have since applied for and gotten ANOTHER job wearing similar black sneakers.
    I honestly think women think too much of shoes. No one is going to be looking at your shoes!

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck with the interview.

I don't know, I've often gotten comments from the guys I work with about shoes, and I don't wear anything that off the wall. IME, it is noticed if you match shoes or color coordinate socks/knee highs. For the last 12-18 months, I've been stuck in comfortable shoes, sneakers or clogs b/c of a bad ankle. I just got it fixed, and I am looking forward to ditching the ugly shoes.

OP, I had an earlier version of your shoes, still from Payless, that were my designated 'uniform' shoes that I wore with my service dress blues. No one knew that they weren't the more expensive, less comfortable shoes I was issued.

I love those green shoes. Given how laid-back the place is, (once you're hired) you could probably rock some dark skinny jeans, a flowy white/ivory top and those shoes with some really unique earrings.

I am actually kind of lusting after your dress code. I'll confess that, in addition to being able to work "normal people hours" one of the other reasons I'm looking forward to moving from RN to NP is the tendency for that crowd to wear professional clothes to work You know, NOT scrubs!