The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interview Shoes Question (Update, first post)

Hi All!

I was lucky enough to be asked back for a second interview at a company I'm really interested in working with.

For the first interview, I wore a sheath dress (grey/white with two FUCHSIA "racing stripes"), nylons, black pumps, and a black blazer. I got complimented by everyone I interacted with at the company. They are a jeans and sneakers sort of place, even the people who were interviewing me. It's a young, vibrant, tech-y company in Cambridge, a "young" town. During the interview they stressed innovation and energy.

I HATE wearing heels and their company building is mainly carpeted with thick padding...hard to walk on! For the second interview, I am wearing a navy 3/4-sleeve dress with a modest boat neck (I think), with nylons, and a simple necklace and/or diamond/pearl studs.

My conundrum: I want to wear flats. I have these: http://i.hipswap.net/shoes/search/nw...43af537b6e.jpg

which are less of the lime green color and more jewel toned. They're very dressy, being satin, and look really good with the dress. But...formal enough? I'm 22, so it's not like I can't get away with some youthful/fun apparel, and the rest of my outfit is quite conservative.

I'm just really interested in this job, and while I know that I won't blow a whole interview just because I wore green shoes, if the the COTH consensus is that it would be a bad idea, I'll wear the stupid heels.

UPDATE:
    I took a peek at Payless just to see, and ended up grabbing these in patent navy and the light pink: http://www.payless.com/store/product...layName=Womens

I have them in black already, and I have to say, for $20.00 shoes, I could wear them all day while walking around a city. The memory foam bed is a dream. I have MANY pairs of MUCH more expensive designer shoes that start killing my feet after an hour.
    Last edited by GoForAGallop; Apr. 4, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

If I were you I'd wear the heels, sadly. However, if it is a jeans kind of place, can you change the outfit to nice (dressy) pants and wear the flats with them?

The only reason I say the heels is that they seem to match a navy, serious, dress better. But if you change the outfit to something that matches the flats a bit better then I'd say definitely wear the flats.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    If I were you I'd wear the heels, sadly. However, if it is a jeans kind of place, can you change the outfit to nice (dressy) pants and wear the flats with them?

The only reason I say the heels is that they seem to match a navy, serious, dress better. But if you change the outfit to something that matches the flats a bit better then I'd say definitely wear the flats.
    This is similar to the dress I have:
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/produc...dress-navy.jpg

The dress I have is very firmly knee-length, and doesn't have the white accent. But it does look good with the flats.

I could do pants...I will have to scour my closet to see if I can put together a good pants-outfit. My issue with that is that I make the shirt my statement piece under the blazer, so wouldn't want to do bright shoes, but maybe I can track down a conservative shirt.

And yes, I appreciate the First World Problem-ness of this thread, sorry everyone!

I would wear a nice pair of navy heels. They don't have to be high, and could have a chunkier heel, to make them a bit more comfortable. It will make the overall look just a bit more professional (although those shoes are adorable!) Once they hire you, bring on the flats/more casual attire, especially since that seems to be the trend at that office. Good luck!
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

1 members found this post helpful.

Black heels or satin ballet slippers, and they do look like slippers, are the only choices? If it's that casual, can't you wear a nice pair of slacks with the blazer and some other kind of flats or tie shoes? I'm not sure I'd wear satin ballet slippers.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
    I would wear a nice pair of navy heels. They don't have to be high, and could have a chunkier heel, to make them a bit more comfortable. It will make the overall look just a bit more professional (although those shoes are adorable!) Once they hire you, bring on the flats/more casual attire, especially since that seems to be the trend at that office. Good luck!
    Don't have navy heels, or the budget to go buy any. (Hence the job hunt!) The black do look okay, and I have a nude pair that I could wear.

Re: other shoe options....no, I don't really have many other options. This is my first job hunt out of college, and I'm on a tight budget...the black heels were my purchase for interviews, as they go with (almost) anything.

I would skip the flats and go with the heels. It would look more professional. I really like the flats but I don't think they would be appropriate for the interview. If they were a navy or black instead of bright green, then it would be ok. Even if the company is a jeans type place, you still want to come off as professional.
    You can wear the flats on your first day of work!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Wear the nude heels with the dress. Having worked in HR for years, it always made a very good impression when someone took the time to dress appropriately for their interviews (doesn't mean a nice pair of pants/blazer is inappropriate). Being that this is your second interview, go in looking as professional as you can, even though the company is a bit more laid back. Kind of like how looking your best when you go in the ring shows your respect for the judge, looking your best at an interview shows that you care enough about the position to make an effort
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

3 members found this post helpful.

I think the black heels would be fine. Plus you won't be wearing them for very long. If you still don't like the black heels you have...Can you ask anyone of your friends, mom or sister if they have any shoes you can borrow?

Thanks everyone, looks like it's the heels! (-sigh-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I think the black heels would be fine. Plus you won't be wearing them for very long. If you still don't like the black heels you have...Can you ask anyone of your friends, mom or sister if they have any shoes you can borrow?
    I actually like my heels and find them very comfortable out and about in the world (and I'm quite comfortable walking in heels in general)...the carpeting at this specific company was just the kind with the heavy padding underneath so that you sink with every step, and I felt a little "floundery" in heels although I think I covered it up well.

You will be worried about the shoes. Don't wear them. Wear the heels

I would wear nude with navy, not black. Black is too sharp with the navy dress. Nude goes perfectly with navy.

6 members found this post helpful.

Nude heels, not black, with navy dress. Good luck! You are from my neck of the woods!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Nude heels, not black, with navy dress. Good luck! You are from my neck of the woods!
    Thanks! I'm very nervous about moving away....as expensive as horse keeping is around us, horse keeping around Boston makes it look downright cheap!

Flats, if they are structured, traditional, leather shoes can be OK for interviews (I'm very tall, so I sometimes choose a very low heel/near flat for an interview when I know the person I'll be interviewing with is a very short man ). The ballet slippers are too casual, though, regardless of color.

With that dress, I'd go with the nude heels. Black can be passable with a very dark navy, but not with that white trim.

That dress is cute, BTW, and totally appropriate for an interview at a tech company.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post

With that dress, I'd go with the nude heels. Black can be passable with a very dark navy, but not with that white trim.

That dress is cute, BTW, and totally appropriate for an interview at a tech company.
    Thanks. My dress is similar, but doesn't have that white trim, and is knee length.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Don't have navy heels, or the budget to go buy any. (Hence the job hunt!) The black do look okay, and I have a nude pair that I could wear.

Re: other shoe options....no, I don't really have many other options. This is my first job hunt out of college, and I'm on a tight budget...the black heels were my purchase for interviews, as they go with (almost) anything.
    I texted you, but I have a perfect pair of navy patent Tory Burch heels you're welcome to borrow temporarily...

(to others: we know each other personally)

Another vote for the nude heels.

On a different note, I have heard to never wear green to an interview from multiple sources. Apparently they've done a bunch of studies on the psychology behind colors and for some reason, people subconsciously think you're lying when wearing green.

I don't know the veracity of this but I have heard it on several occasions during interview prep classes in college and online.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by besttwtbever View Post
    Another vote for the nude heels.

On a different note, I have heard to never wear green to an interview from multiple sources. Apparently they've done a bunch of studies on the psychology behind colors and for some reason, people subconsciously think you're lying when wearing green.

I don't know the veracity of this but I have heard it on several occasions during interview prep classes in college and online.
    That's super good to know!

I've never worn heels to an interview, and I've never had problems getting hired. I'd say about 60% of our new female interviewees are now wearing formal, tasteful flats, and it's never factored into the decision to hire/ not hire. If on your first interview you observed they don't wear strict, very formal business attire at the office, wouldn't it be a mistake to stick to strict, very formal business attire for the second interview- indicates you're not paying attention and not willing to try to fit in? go a little more casual for the second one.

Yes, don't wear colors- only neutral stuff, black, white, gray, dark blues. Colors admit to personality, and you don't want to display yours until after you get hired.