The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use it for dog rescue and fund raising. I'm also able to keep up with friends that I would never otherwise see or talk to. And I find the politics very interesting.

There are very few places any more where you can find such different viewpoints and opinions thanks to algorithm based searching and push technology, where you only see that which you're most likely to search out. It's a problem when we see only information that we already agree with.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I would say 98% of the people I interact with on FB I would never have the chance to in real life. Many are family members in another country. As the older generation has died out, ie my parents and their syblings, it is nice to keep up with the family over there. Some people I went to school with have resurfaced after 30+ years. No, we were BEST friends but they were part of my life back then and it is interesting to see where life has taken them. I've had some co-workers who were "work friends" (what we had in common was our jobs) and some I like personally and many have gone on to have families and I don't see them at work anymore and they have busy schedules with their families now.

I have many levels of friends. I always have had many levels of friends. They are not all best pals but I still like them. This give me a way to keep in touch with them. Even with my close friends it's hard to get together. We have lives, families, jobs, children, hobbies etc that make it difficult to just drop everything and play together.

FB is what you make it. I like all the filters they have now. Could live without the commercials (ads) but that is the price for a free board.

1 members found this post helpful.

What's the point to FB? Global attention whoring.

Hey, now I can reach millions of people with my whiny, self absorbed rants instead of just bugging my family and friends!

My family has a private FB group and we keep in touch that way, as well as by telephone and email. I don't for one second believe that we need FB to stay in touch with each other.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    I don't believe that posting on facebook allows you to actually "keep in touch" with anyone- it's more like reading a carefully edited novel about a stranger's life than about actually "keeping in touch".
    It can be. It depends on how you use it.

If you are aware that what a person posts is selectively chosen, you can use that information to tailor your interactions with that person. I see my friend's photo of, say, something she saw in a foreign country as not an opportunity to say "Awesome photo!" but to start a conversation about her experience in that country and the events surrounding the taking of the photo.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I use facebook to:

1) Keep in touch with friends and family I don't often (or ever) see. They'll post little bits about what they did during the day, pictures, tidbits, thoughts, share news articles they find relevant. Right now I'm in a long thread with a RL friend who's daughter ran up $100 on iTunes because she knew his password and he thinks for some reason iTunes is at fault. Just an example of some of the random tidbits that are actually very interesting. At least on my friend feed.

2) I "like" various things and enjoy getting the promo codes or first tidbits of information. If it's too spammy I unlike it.

3) Several of my friends are actually "into" politics and civil rights. Not just sign-holding protests or couch jockeys, but actually IN that world, either as lobbyists, activists, campaign members and so forth. I don't always agree with their views, but I find them always extremely interesting and well informed.

I also am on Google+, but I troll Google+ for the communities because I like looking at lolcatz, Tard and pretty pictures of places I want to see before I die.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I really enjoy Facebook and have a lot of use for it, personally. An active social life with groups of friends scattered all over the province can be kind of chaotic, and Facebook allows me make plans and organize trips with everyone all at once through their Events and Groups sections. It's fun to keep UTD on everyone's lives.. where they are, what they're up to, what they're interested in, where they're travelling, etc. It's useful to follow sales and events at my favourite clubs/bars and boutiques, too.

There's not a single person who's my "friend" who I don't have some kind of direct connection with. I think that kind of defeats the purpose of having an account. I also immediately delete those who post nothing but nonsense and drama. It makes a big difference.

I started it so I could play Farmville. That interest wore out pretty quickly by my "neighbors" became my friends. We support each other, laugh at silly things together and comment on politics. I don't have any friends with differing political views, so there's no arguing or hurt feelings.

I have less than 100 friends...my horse friends, my Golden Retriever friends, family and some friends of friends who asked me to be their friend. I never ask anyone to be my friend. They either find me or they don't.

Facebook is getting worse and worse for not being actual "friend" content, it's all ads and ecards and jokes and things shared and copied. And sometimes that's all interesting but it's losing my attention.

I have a handful of people that I keep up with only through facebook and that's the main reason I keep it around. Good friends have two of our horses and they post pictures all the time so I can see them all. Couple family members that are far away, niece in the military. A handful of long-time internet friends.

But I was just thinking the other day that seeing what my friends have forwarded and shared is not quite as interesting as hearing about their day. It's changing.

Thanks everyone, and thanks CVPeg for the details about Facebook and reminding me to play with it. Truth is I started the account so that old clients could find me.

I did get a "friends you may want to friend" for Mr. Stolen as well as an old friend that I have lost touch with. I have to admit that I like COTH more than Facebook and I don't think that will change. I would much rather share here about my horses and OTD for political issues. So thanks again to all my COTH "friends".

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a lot of FB friends, and almost all of them I know IRL. Some are horse friends, some from work, some old HS friends. I don't post much- maybe a few times a month. I do like to see what old friends are up to. My HS friends I probably have nothing in common with anymore, but I enjoy seeing pictures of their kids and whatnot.

Of course I posted pics of my new puppy, and also a picture and goodbye to my old Corgi that I had to euth last week. If I have great horse show pictures I also share those. No, I'm not going to post what I had for dinner or that I'm constipated!

I mostly just laugh at and "like" stuff that horselips posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I love FB.

1.) I found my ex-husband of 35 years ago who lives on a different contintent and was able to have some closure with that relationship and completely move on without reservation.

2.) I can "look" at photographs of things that don't interest me (like people's baby pics) click that I "like" them, without the embarassment of having to pretend and be polite as I would if they were shown to me in person.

3.) I belong to three community pages that give me the social and political scoop on stuff that is going on in my town. I can ask about issues that I don't understand and I can put in my two cents

4.) I belong to an alumnae page of a stable that I worked at when I was a teenager and we have been sharing photos and memories of those good old days.

5.) I admire FB for its ability to community organize people politically as it has across the globe. Even recently, the red and pink "marriage equality" symbols that people posted as their profile pictures while the SCOTUS was hearing the gay marriage cases got the attention of the media, and hopefully, politicians and even court members saw the wide-spread solidarity in this movement.

6.) I learn a lot about things that I am interested in, whether that be horses and literature, or causes such as girls education.

I agree that FB can be dreadful if you don't use your users setting to get rid of the crap that doesn't interest you. I don't play any games and don't accept any invitations to play them. I hide quite a few of my friends' posts, etc. Most importantly, my FB timeline is NOT public and can only be seen by my friends.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I found it helpful to centralize my news info into one source. I use it to chat with friends. I don't post a lot of personal stuff but like to "share" fun photos and videos from other posts. I also use it to buy and sell tack--ie tack traders type page..

I didn't have facebook, and didn't miss it. Then I joined a new barn that is extremely active and found out I wasn't in the loop because they discussed everything on Facebook. Shows, fun days, cancellations, were all posted on Facebook. So I joined solely to keep up with my barn.

Then I realized how absolutely easy it was to get in touch with someone fast. IM them and their FB pings their phones. Very very efficient.

Then I discovered that organizations I felt strongly about could be "liked" on FB and thereby endorsed. So I like digital horse, long riders, George Takei, NPR, and Gentle Giants draft rescue.

My FB is friends only. I only accept friends from people I know.

So I've found, as a very recent FB convert (last November) that it's pretty darned convenient and cool.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I love FB. I have kids & siblings up and down the east coast, neices and nephews around as well. I can keep in touch with them and hear about things I would not otherwise know about.

Because I work all 3 shifts (7-3, 3-11 & 11-7), it also allows my family to contact me without waking me as they never know which shift I am on.

It can be impersonal, but sometimes the slight distance is a good thing too. I don't hide much of my view or personality from anyone, on or off FB.

FB is like anything else, it is what you make of it.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Aside from keeping up with friends and family, you get some great laughs watching stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRLCSnzjxw
    (dressage horse owners explained)
    The Evil Chem Prof

OMG that was brilliant! I have posted that to my FB page!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Ok so lately I'm laughing at my friends headed to a show in south AL, it's a virtual ride along and she's funny so that's fun while I'm stuck at work.

I'm reminding club members that our horse show is next weekend and we need volunteers.

I just sold a saddle through a sale's oriented group. I sold a horse through FB. Then when she was sold again, I connected with her buyer and get to see pics of her at Mounted Patrol training. I think that's fun. If someone else is aggravated that this is how I use FB, well, that's not my problem.

I'm getting things done more than I'm saying what I ate for breakfast.

I see a lot of people say that fb is an edited account of life, that it's a "fakebook". I have to reflect... so what? If you're not smart enough to realize that everyone has bad days and that people want to keep that stuff hidden... you clearly missed part of the adolescent learning process. As long as people aren't becoming pathological in their attempts to "hide the awful truth" of their day, so what if they prefer to focus on the positive? No skin off my teeth, and the world could use some more positives.

I don't want to read status updates that are every 15 minutes. I don't want an account of your day. I want snippets. I want to read or see the stuff that is too good not to share, whether it's something hilarious that happened to you or something that is going viral. So just the highlights is fine with me.

I look at facebook as a chance to see a slice of life. I'm in the mental health world, so I have a natural interest towards the lives of others. What do they think is interesting? What's going on with them? And if I run into them in person, I have something to say to them. Or I can keep track of who is in which city in case I need a place to crash while traveling.

My BO uses fb to keep boarders in the loop. She's posted reminders that the weather is going to change, so get your blankets ready. She's posts about barn events. She's even used it to notify us that ponies are staying in due to crappy weather. As a busy adult, I appreciate the reminder about how life is at the barn. I don't get out there every day, sometimes I even go a week without it because shift work sucks (I work all 3 shifts) or I get mandated (yay, health care). But the reminders on my fb feed help me remember to budget an extra 20 minutes into my day tomorrow to drop off heavy blankets. Or to cancel my dinner plans because the horses were in all day and I think getting them extra time in the indoor is more important than my dinner date with my bff I see a few times every week. I'm sure she could email us this info, too, but this is a faster way for sure. And sometimes she will mass-text, but that's a lot of work for 20+ boarders unless she somehow keeps a list stored for mass texts. And I've lurked on some other barn's fb pages to get vibes from them when I was scouting barns out in the area. It was helpful.

I was in college when fb came out, and my school was one of the first to have it. So, I'm very comfortable with fb and have evolved my use with it. I can totally understand, however, that coming into it at this point in its development may be confusing or not interesting.

But it's kind of like having kids, I would think... even though they are PITA teens, you've had them this long and you're kind of attached to them so... what the heck, you'll keep them.

Facebook funny:

My husband and I both have Facebook accounts. We're not terribly active on Facebook (we mostly just lurk and read and comment) but occasionally one of us will post something or comment on a mutual friend's post and start talking.

Mind you, we are sitting about 12ft away from each other. We could just raise our voices slightly. I could just walk down the hall and vice versa.

We laugh at each other everytime we catch ourselves doing it.

And my profile image is a pretty waterfall in winter. His is Grumpy Cat.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings