The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

When the kids are on the computer upstairs and I'm on the one downstairs we will use the chat function to talk with each other! LOL It sounds terrible but we actually all talk a lot without facebook and sometimes I notice they talk "more" on the chat, my son just talked through a school issue with me on chat the other day-his choice of venue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    When the kids are on the computer upstairs and I'm on the one downstairs we will use the chat function to talk with each other! LOL It sounds terrible but we actually all talk a lot without facebook and sometimes I notice they talk "more" on the chat, my son just talked through a school issue with me on chat the other day-his choice of venue.
    My husband and I sort of like to "troll" each other. We'll respond to each other with rage comics or grumpy cat or other memes. It's hilarious. Especailly when one of us realizes "why am I sitting here typing this when I can just shout???"
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

What's the point? For me, the point is that most of my friends live abroad, or if not abroad a long way away. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with everyone, arrange skype dates, get quick "updates" on my friends lives via their statuses, check out their pictures, etc. If you don't like it or see the point then don't use it, it is that simple. I get sick and tired of these discussions always coming up, implying that facebook is a bad thing because it makes keeping in touch with people "too easy" or whatever. Maybe it does, but as someone who wants to keep up with as many friends as possible (and I only have people I actually still talk to on fb), it is a great thing. Yes, if facebook didn't exist, I'd write. But isn't it wonderful that technology has improved so much we don't have to wait 3 weeks for a letter if something big happens to a close friend (my best friend has just moved to Australia...so this may be a touchy subject. She doesn't facebook, so we email, but same idea essentially)???
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    OK, so last OTD I was one of those that does not do facebook. So now I do have an account. What on God's green earth am I suppose to post ? I have no pictures of me, I work, ride and make meals-nothing worthy of writing about.

What is the point ? All I get is a list of "people I may want to friend". Really what is the point, or am I just not getting it ?
    You sound like the perfect FB'er to me. Your post is typical of many I see on FB -- e.g., "It's 3 am and once again I can't sleep. I'm hungry but I don't know what I want to eat. Anybody else awake?"

Which is why I have the signature line I have.

I didn't mean to offend you, OP. Just kinda of kid you--seriously, most of the FB posts I see are boring, the sort of thing a good friend might tell me on the phone when they can't sleep, which is perfectly fine to do between friends, but my point is that I never see anything on FB that is earth-shattering news. But if a sleepless friend calls at 3 am (if I have my phone turned on), I will glady commiserate, suggest comfort foods, maybe even meet at Waffle House ...

Really just trying to sound sympathetic here ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Facebook is getting worse and worse for not being actual "friend" content, it's all ads and ecards and jokes and things shared and copied. And sometimes that's all interesting but it's losing my attention.

I have a handful of people that I keep up with only through facebook and that's the main reason I keep it around. Good friends have two of our horses and they post pictures all the time so I can see them all. Couple family members that are far away, niece in the military. A handful of long-time internet friends.

But I was just thinking the other day that seeing what my friends have forwarded and shared is not quite as interesting as hearing about their day. It's changing.
    Yup.

What we use Facebook for, and what Facebook uses us for, are two different things.

I think that's really important to keep in mind and it's something that I tell our players too (via the game account I have for work.) We use Facebook for some purpose- communication, connection, entertainment, a sense of "famous on the internet" thanks to importance now meaning post virality, whatever. Facebook uses us for revenue.

The switch to showing "Top Stories" versus "Recent Posts"- and the reason that "Top Stories" is the default, and you will often find your feed view on "Top Stories" even if you've switched it to "Recent Posts" a hundred times- seems to me to be a way of supporting the advertisers. Top stories = posts that have been liked, shared, commented; that are going viral. I can think of a couple of companies off the top of my head who have made this work really well for them. I also handle the Facebook page of the local show association, and since I also understand how this works, I can make it work for us, too.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I was able to conduct real time conversations with my DD overseas last year on Fb using the chat feature. I was going to bed and she was getting up. It does have its uses but it's somewhat voyeuristic sometimes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Or they don't have friends. Just people who tolerate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Every time I read or hear a "FB is useless and boring" sort of thing (and not just here, btw) one of the common themes is that people just post the same thing over and over, and there's only games and pictures of food etc.

I gotta say, first thought is usually "It's not FB, I just think you need new friends..."

I met a couple at the Alabama Horse Fair a few years ago, who have since moved back to his hometown. In South Africa. Getting to follow their adventures with zebras on the way to school and such, is an absolute treat.

If you think you have nothing to share or gain on FB, then just don't do it. I've never laid eyes on Instagram or Pintarest. Did I get those names right? LOL. But I don't go around flogging Pintaristas for wasting their lives away...Um, hello? You're online whining about people being online? Hello??
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

4 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I met a couple at the Alabama Horse Fair a few years ago, who have since moved back to his hometown. In South Africa. Getting to follow their adventures with zebras on the way to school and such, is an absolute treat.

If you think you have nothing to share or gain on FB, then just don't do it. I've never laid eyes on Instagram or Pintarest. Did I get those names right? LOL. But I don't go around flogging Pintaristas for wasting their lives away...Um, hello? You're online whining about people being online? Hello??
    This too. I have one friend who just moved from London to Stellenbosch, South Africa....permanently. Another constantly returns to SA so I get updates on all the places I volunteered. I have one friend who works for a global volunteering org. Her latest adventure was in Uganda and she posted some great updates/stories from her 4 months there. I loved following all my London friends during the Olympics. As some of them volunteered I got some cool "behind the scenes" pics that weren't on the news.

If facebook is boring you need to add more interesting friends!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey