The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Facebook what is the point ?

OK, so last OTD I was one of those that does not do facebook. So now I do have an account. What on God's green earth am I suppose to post ? I have no pictures of me, I work, ride and make meals-nothing worthy of writing about.

What is the point ? All I get is a list of "people I may want to friend". Really what is the point, or am I just not getting it ?

There is none. You CAN use it to keep in touch, sort of, with far flung family members. That is why I joined, because a cousin I hadn't seen or heard from in over 30 years started an account shortly before I was googling around for her (I'd been googling around for her about every two years or so since we'd gotten internet).
    We post pictures of family and our environs, stuff like that. My cousin posted when my aunt passed away so we were aware much sooner than the months it took when my uncle passed and were able to offer condolences in a timely fashion, have an option to attend a funeral, etc.
    I'm friends with maybe 20 people, most of whom I know IRL. I'm a member of a group from the town I grew up in and I found some old high school friends there, that was nice, and I have some friends that post and repost every cute picture they come across so blocking is sometimes a useful option.
    It's easy to upload photos and share them, you can keep all your stuff private or share it. I expect that in a few years it'll go the way of myspace, something better will come along.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

I use it primarily to stay in touch with friends and family scattered across the globe. Post the occasional joke. Post quotes, stories or verses that inspire me. Get horse show and fox hunting news. People use it in ways that suit them individually. You don't have to feel obligated to have an account. Lots of people don't. It's no big deal.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

7 members found this post helpful.

A huge time waster. I went back to my account just for grins and it is the same stuff over and over. Boring..
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I love facebook. I keep in touch with a lot of friends that I otherwise would not. Its also an easy way to get to know people better.

I post photos a few times a week and news a few times a week.

I have almost 800 friends although most I don't know.

3 members found this post helpful.

I use it mostly for horse news and Kindle freebe's. Also some political stuff. I rarely post updates on myself but enjoy seeing other's, particularly Irish Draughts. I suspect much of the ID stuff would be deleted here for advertising
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    I have almost 800 friends although most I don't know.
    See, this is mind boggling to me. How are these people friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

2 members found this post helpful.

I like it, but I also use FB Purity to get rid of the ads and all the nonsense that I don't want on my page, like the suggestions and game references etc. Great add-on!

I also hide quite a few people on my friend list - they're folks who I couldn't deny a request to for fear of offending them, but who post too many game things or religious bilge. or teenage drama. They can see my stuff (unless they have me hidden too) and I can check their pages periodically, but on a day to day basis I just see posts from scattered friends and relatives that I do care about.

I've got some FB friends who I first met on a message board, and though we've only met IRL maybe once (if at all) we've grown into real friends over time. It's an interesting phenomenon.

I think I like it too because I'm pretty much a curmudgeon - too much socializing of the old fashioned sort wears me out. I love my friends and like being around them, but I really value my time alone and my quiet time. FB seems to bridge that gap for me somehow

I enjoy it. I like the political stuff. Plus, I believe that it is a real service when pictures of lost kids and animals are shared. I've seen quite a few cases where they have been found, and facebook sharing has been credited. I also will share animal placement notices, and have also seen quite a few of those find a new home because of facebook.

But, the biggest reason I like it is because it has allowed me to connect with a cousin that I haven't known well at all, my entire life. While we have made sporadic attempts to connect over the years, neither of us is the best of correspondents and we had not been very successful. Facebook is so easy that we have managed, this time to connect, and stay connected. And, we have discovered that, in spite of the fact that we have not had much interaction all of our lives (and neither of us are young any more,) we are very much alike in the way we think and the way that we relate to the world
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I have a facebook account. Not my real name. I joined to look at others facebook. But it is all the same stuff they post. I don't think I get it.

I guess if you care what others are doing and you are not, then it is interesting.

I just downsized/decluttered/deleted all my electronic accesses, iow photobucket, and other accounts. I probably should get rid of my fb account too. I am keeping things simple these days. I downsized my phone to a flip phone from a smart phone. I love it. GZone Ravine. Which is shock proof and waterproof. Easy to mess with. I didn't need all that stuff on a smart phone.

FB I think might just be next.

I use it for pics of kids and horses, to share with family and friends spread out across the country. I really like facebook -- it has pretty much replaced the monthly email catchups I used to do with friends, and we have a lot more real-time idea of what's going on in each other's lives.

I try to block all ads and games and "offers." I am "friends" with a lot of business contacts as well, including my boss and coworkers, lots of clients, etc. As you can imagine, my facebook posts are pretty tame and I *don't* report every workout or pics of each meal I consume.

I have friends scattered all over the world, and FB is a great way to keep in touch with them--see pics of the pups, kids, vacations, etc. It is also a nice way to share pics with family that do not live nearby, and would therefore never see my vacation pics or other pics (new house, dogs, etc.). I also like it to follow specific rescues.

To each his own--if you like FB, then go ahead and enjoy it. But if you do not, there is no reason to disparage it.

Every time I read or hear a "FB is useless and boring" sort of thing (and not just here, btw) one of the common themes is that people just post the same thing over and over, and there's only games and pictures of food etc.

I gotta say, first thought is usually "It's not FB, I just think you need new friends..."

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    OK, so last OTD I was one of those that does not do facebook. So now I do have an account. What on God's green earth am I suppose to post ? I have no pictures of me, I work, ride and make meals-nothing worthy of writing about.

What is the point ? All I get is a list of "people I may want to friend". Really what is the point, or am I just not getting it ?
    The "point" of Facebook is to prove that 90% of everything on the Internet is dross.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Use it mostly to keep up with friends near and far - several I haven't seen in years.

And yes, the photos, the political stuff, and the jokes are great (mostly my friends pass them along...). Also up-to-date news on whatever topic you enjoy. Most news publications have updates. I first heard about Zenyatta's latest foal first on FB.

Just carefully watch the settings. I don't like to have the whole world see everything I post. But friends of friends covers it well for me.

I enjoy seeing the regular posts of friends who are talented, offer a lot to say, update on their families (and horses and animals!). Don't care much for those who post constantly about their love lives, or every move they make. But those friends you can still keep, and adjust what news of theirs you care to see.

Takes some getting used to, and a bit of time up front to become accustomed to your friends/preferences and the resulting contributions you receive. But once you get the swing of it, it can be enjoyable and not so time consuming.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I feel like Facebook has really helped me keep in touch with my friends and family who are scattered around the country and world. I like that I can keep in touch with my friends from highschool and college and see what my cousins have going on. I love seeing pictures of their kids and the crazy things their pets do.

I am very picky about who I friend though. I don't play any of the games and block as much of that stuff as I can.

Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head saying that they MUST join Facebook.

It's a networking tool, plain and simple.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I use Facebook as a networking and conversation tool. It's an easy way to keep in touch with friends I don't get to see in person often. I found out about my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel play group through Facebook and have networked with other horse folks through it. I've gotten some good advice from my Facebook friends replying to status updates (e.g. computer issues, questions about dog care, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Plus, I believe that it is a real service when pictures of lost kids and animals are shared. I've seen quite a few cases where they have been found, and facebook sharing has been credited. I also will share animal placement notices, and have also seen quite a few of those find a new home because of facebook.
    I shared a photo of a coworker's lost dog on my Facebook page earlier this week and it generated well over 2,000 shares! I was AMAZED! They were not just my friends, it was the cumulative total of my friends sharing, then their friends sharing, etc. The dog ended up being found by someone who saw my post.

I'm willing to bet that more youth are caught up on news events than they were in the past too just from it showing up on their Facebook newsfeed. Garner from that what you will, but I think it's better than nothing.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

6 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I have two Facebook accounts. One of them is personal, and I use it to keep in touch with friends all over the globe with whom I would otherwise be in contact only sporadically. The other is sort of a "professional" account. I work for an online game and, like many of our players, I have a "game account" under my game username. This one allows me to disseminate game information (often more quickly than the game forums would do because of viral sharing,) keep in touch with what the players are using the game for (sometimes good, sometimes stuff we need to put a stop to) and present myself to our players as a real human being. The latter lets me build a relationship with the players beyond what they see of me in the game, which has meant that they are more willing to listen to me because I'm no longer a faceless name, I'm somebody they know and respect.

Facebook (as well as any other social media) is valuable to me because it's an outlet where I can almost completely control others' perception of me. I choose what I post- I choose what other people know about me- so, to an extent, I can control what they think of me.

(Use of OSM, and the internet in general, by various young adult groups, is one of my research interests, so I come at this from a different angle than I think most OSM users do.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I don't believe that posting on facebook allows you to actually "keep in touch" with anyone- it's more like reading a carefully edited novel about a stranger's life than about actually "keeping in touch". In order to actual connect with and know people you have to talk to them, and to really be friends with them you have to spend actual physical time with them.
    In my opinion, facebook actually DISTANCES people from each other because it encourages distant, impersonal interactions rather than encouraging face to face interactions.
    You'll see avid facebook users spend so much time staring at their screens that they can't be bothered to go find REAL friends- and often you'll see people paying no attention to their actual surroundings or whom they are actually with in favor of focusing on their impersonal interactions on facebook.