The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm happy to report that my good boy has returned and the fire breathing dragon has been banished from the kingdom!!

Hope that you all are having the same experience!

1 members found this post helpful.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

try to think of it this way: you know they are feeling good!

Yep, my boy (12 yo DWB) is a raging monster much of the time right now. If he doesn't settle down sometime soon I'm going to be in the same shape he's in! What IS it about this spring?
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I survived, so there is hope for you!

Did you start the other thread about your boy? I was at my wit's end a couple of weeks ago, so I feel your pain. I was lunging, then attempting to ride, then lunging again, and then finally riding with a semi-sane horse... It WAS NOT FUN!!

I thought about feeding him the entire bucket of SmartCalm!! And then, just as soon as the drill sergeant in me came out and whooped up on him a few times, the wild beastiness subsided and he went back to being his normal sane-but-always-goofy self.

With that said, the discipline was only mildly helpful, if at all. I knew I was in for it when the discipline didn't really make it stop. He is usually 100% wimp when it comes to bucking the system and challenging me. One or two harsh words from me and maybe a pop and he is usually on his way again, minding his p's and q's.

Once the dragon came to town, there was no mount of discipline that could chain him.

But, as I said, I survived and you will too. Good Luck!

Yep, that was me. And the drill Sgt. Has been in town for a while now. Makes no difference. He's great for me to work with on the ground, but in the ring or left to his own devices in the stall - mindless idiot. Complete raging lunatic. I gave him depo today and I'm hoping it's a miracle cure, but I know that's a lot to hope for. I'm glad to hear your guy has settled again. Hopefully I'll have the same go report soon.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

My normally quiet almost 6 year old has been a nut case the last few weeks! Its not just you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolsch View Post
    These are not words of wisdom, just an idea I'm working on. It seems to me that both the spring and fall craziness correspond to a particular stage in coat growing- my horses don't seem to be just excitable and fresh, they seem hungry and irritable. My current experiment is to feed extra protein to them during that time. I feed alfalfa. (as well as a ration balancer anyway) Either it seems to work for me, or they become calmer due to coincidence.

Anyway, food for thought, nothing more.
    I have two very "hungry" cranky horses right now. They are driving me insane. They act like they never get fed and they get hay 5 -6 times a day. And during the two seconds that the poor starving creatures have to wait to get their food they attack eachother over the fence/stall guard like they are getting the last hay net on the planet....I'm seriously over their attitudes right now

Yep mine too! He was a perfect gentleman on the way out on our trail ride last week but was a jerk on the way home. Did not want to walk and jigged the whole way home. When he act like this we head straight into the ring when we get back. This usually means he will be a perfect angel the next day... and he was.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"