The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spring Fever Behavior

Anybody else having issues with their horses being "up" this spring? My 6 year old TB gelding is driving me crazy with his fire-breathing dragon ways!! It has been a sudden onset, so here's to hoping that it will subside soon

Looking for comfort and commiseration!

Major spring sillies were evident at my barn in early to mid-March, but a lot of the horses have calmed down now.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Yes! My gelding has been a looney-tune just out in the pasture...its been windy and he's been FREAKING out and racing around like an idiot, to the point of almost falling down! We will be lunging a great deal before I take him out for a trail ride!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Last week my very "energy-efficient" 18-year-old, for whom "fresh" usually means "Yay, I don't have to wear spurs," tried to take off with me at the trot.

His field-mates, whom I affectionately call the "young idiot Thoroughbreds" never mind that neither one of them actually is young and they're both very pleasant horses, are having entirely too much fun for their own good.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thanks for the comments. I hope my guy's high spirits will die down soon. I pray that this is a seasonal thing and not another phase of development. I can't take anymore phases... we both barely lived through the evil 4 year old phase
    Last edited by LoveJubal; Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM.

It was a brisk 45 degrees in Aggieland yesterday (we are used to 70-80 degrees this time of year) and every single horse at the boarding stable was in its run rearing. It was quite comical. They were obviously feeling good and feeding off each other. One would nip at its neighbor and rear up, then the other would reciprocate and so on and so forth down the line of runs. So cool to watch.

I'm sure your boy will be back to normal shortly.

I started a thread about this but it didn't get much traction. Yep...my normal sloth is all yeehaw! Saturday's ride actually left bloody spots on the inside of my knees...rode in my tooled saddle.

We've a several very nice days and he's been outside much more than usual. I'm riding again tonight...hoping for a little more sanity!

OMG yes!!! My mares, not too bad. My tb gelding (he's 8) is a different story. He lives in pasture (a large dry lot paddock basically) but not locked in a stall, but still getting hot, so I put him out in turnout pasture with a couple of horses and he ran himself until he was dripping sweat and steaming! Then the other day leading him back to pasture, he went straight up in the air in his best lipizzan imitation! luckily we had a chain on his nose so he got corrected for that. Doing a lot of lunging here before riding too!

I want my calm, sane horse back. He has been like this off and on for two months now. Of course we have been having very unseasonal weather here in NorCal so that may be part of why the spring sillies are so prolonged this year.

UGHHH yes, and all the ladies are in full whore mode right now. My girl just tore herself up today on the fence boards trying to get at the boys. Guess she'll get a few weeks off until that heals up. Might have heard rumor that I was thinking of putting her back under saddle soon. The boys aren't too bad, just getting the girls all riled up!

1 members found this post helpful.

It's been so windy here all winter long that my two boys are just taking advantage and soaking up the sunshine now, no shenanigans ;-) Or at least none that last more than a minute or two!!
    Kerri

Even the very senior, almost ancient pony has had the sillies. Switching to night turnout helped...but a breeze and a light rain and the sillies are right back.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Yep. I was srsly considering my sanity for going on as a horse owner.

This was mostly due to the hormone fairy arriving on the crazy train, and then I moved to a new barn (serious drama the B.O. caused) and so we have had the "new barn willies" along with the Spring Sillies and hormone Ninnies...

16 yo TB mare thinking she's a 3 yo.
    Ugh...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

There is still too much snow for us to ride outside (other than on the road). This is really late for us, even at these northern latitudes. The indoor was an equine insane asylum yesterday.

Got my first bucks (multiple bucks) ever from my normally even-tempered kind-hearted mare in a dressage clinic.

During lunch break, someone got dumped in the indoor, the riderless 12 hand pony was running amok among about 6 horses trying to get in their ride before the clinic started again, she almost ran into some spectators, too.

My asshat of a gelding, who was being lunged by a kid, decided to see if he could intimidate the poor kid by standing up on his hind legs. Nice move, buddy!

And some of our riders need counselling, too, someone's horse started to scoot a bit and she screamed at it at the top of her lungs. Clinician gave her hell.

My horse is an on and off problem child all winter, every winter, and then has some crazy spring moments as well. It's really not fun. Not at all. I can't wait for summer. He's really quite lovely in summer.

My usually calm, quiet, sweet, gentle gelding has taken to bullying a mare out in pasture and trying to rip her blanket off.

Herself seems to have forgotten that she has a brain. I *tried* to ride yesterday and all she could focus on was everything that was happening outside the area. She was tripping over her own feet because she was so into watching the BO bring her horses inside and then spray them both down. I wanted to bop her over the head and yell "OY! I'm back here!" but that probably would have just gotten me bucked off.
    Mares.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

These are not words of wisdom, just an idea I'm working on. It seems to me that both the spring and fall craziness correspond to a particular stage in coat growing- my horses don't seem to be just excitable and fresh, they seem hungry and irritable. My current experiment is to feed extra protein to them during that time. I feed alfalfa. (as well as a ration balancer anyway) Either it seems to work for me, or they become calmer due to coincidence.

Anyway, food for thought, nothing more.

Well, mine are getting plenty of protein; and they've definitely had Spring Fever. Today was sheep sheering day, so the gate between the pasture & barn was closed. My mare expressed her dismay vocally, and then decided that she and the gelding would race back and forth the length of the fence -- over and over and over again. It was amazing, because they NEVER run as they are old and lazy. And the mare has arthritis and has been sore & creaky in her back and hind end --as a matter of fact, the vet is coming back tomorrow to start Pentosan injections. Nothing like watching the creaky old mare you've been worrying about morph into a Triple Crown contender The mare has also had raging beotch hormones for the first time in the 3 years that I have had her. We call her the fertility goddess, because it seems like she is always in season year round; but she's never been such a crab like this year. So, in conclusion, yup, it's a weird Spring!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

My 8yo TB was a fire-breathing, head-tossing, tantrum-throwing dragon earlier this year. Thankfully now that the weather has evened out (no more ridiculous up/downs) he's back to his mellow self. Mostly, anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one...my 7yr Tb Geld whom normally acts sedated and is spur and stick kicking quiet has been a fruit loop....fresh, very forward, tossing his head...and endless energy....not to mention spooky and its more like he's high as a kite leading him to and from his pasture-all 4 feet not on the ground....I don't remember him ever being this wild...he's also acting particularly buddy sour and attached to his pasture mate??...,I was beginning to think maybe I was feeding him too much and he had too many calories bottled up in him from winter vacation ?? I've felt like a human lunge line