The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Is anybody concerned with the passing of the Monsanto Protection Act?

Just curious what people think of the passage of the Monsanto Protection Act?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

nope.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes. I think GMO foods should be outlawed, just like in a lot of other countries. My DH and I try as hard as we can to eat non GMO food and as much organic as we can. Prefer locally grown.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Yes. I think GMO foods should be outlawed, just like in a lot of other countries. My DH and I try as hard as we can to eat non GMO food and as much organic as we can. Prefer locally grown.
    Yep, they scare me.

I'll start the count down to Bluey showing up to rave about GMOs.

BTW, when BOTH sides are angry about something (albeit for different reasons), it pays to take notice.

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't think GMOs are the be-all, end-all that a lot of people think they are, but that's all I'll say on it..

Yes, and thanks for selling out Obama, to big business.

Monsanto also sues the living daylights out of, and has driven many a farmer to outright suicide with their lawsuits in the past. If they happened to find one of their products grown on a property-even a few stalks of their product in a ditch, and the farmer had not contracted/purchased their seeds they often will sue until they have ruined the farmer....Like farmers can control where birds eat, and then sh*t seeds....Or how the wind blows, etc.

Lovely company, that one

I think it's a step in the wrong direction...

1 members found this post helpful.

Haven't done enough research on the act itself to speak to it, but I must say that GMOs don't scare me....but that's because I've done plant gene splicing, etc...
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Scares the heck out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by spurgirl View Post
    Yes, and thanks for selling out Obama, to big business.

Monsanto also sues the living daylights out of, and has driven many a farmer to outright suicide with their lawsuits in the past. If they happened to find one of their products grown on a property-even a few stalks of their product in a ditch, and the farmer had not contracted/purchased their seeds they often will sue until they have ruined the farmer....Like farmers can control where birds eat, and then sh*t seeds....Or how the wind blows, etc.

Lovely company, that one
    Source and cite please. Including relevant court cases if you wouldn't mind. Hear plenty of Internet BS like this, but no proof whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Source and cite please. Including relevant court cases if you wouldn't mind. Hear plenty of Internet BS like this, but no proof whatsoever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsant..._controversies

The little bit of research I have done, (Google scholar docs and my university's databases) just for fun, not for a project or anything and the bit that I have read, I am scared. Even articles that are pro GMO state that they know there are issues with them. Example; autoimmune/allergies, toxins, and antibiotics. Pro GMO claim that their products are more nutrition rich and will end world hunger, but with the rising numbers in allergies, crops not being as "pest resistant" as promised and no additional nutrition benefits in the crops themselves coupled with the fact that people are standing up and taking notice to what they and their families eat, I hope that GMOs fall and locally produced crops rise.

We all need to support our local farmers, producers, and small business in order to beat big business and make a difference. The small economic impact that you as a consumer can provide for your local producers is great and will breath live into your local economy.

Off my soapbox now.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, it scares me. Not saying that I never enjoy some commercially grown fast food, but I try to buy only local, sustainable, and organic produce. Living on the plains certainly has it's advantages sometimes
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

My dad used to work for Ortho, which was a division of Monsanto before it was purchased by Scotts/Miracle Gro, so they quite literally put food on my plate growing up and sent me to college. So I am biased. I don't think GMOs are "evil", and I think the whole "organic, huzzah!" movement is just as big a heap of garbage.

But as I said, I'm really really biased.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

10 members found this post helpful.

Yes. It is terrifying.

Monsanto is a horrible company with terrible ethics. Due to GM foods, the variety of crops has dwindled drastically, bee populations are declining, etc etc.

GM foods are not the answer. We need to learn how to grow, what to grow, when to grow it. We need diversity. Not mass produced crops like corn that are erroneously fed to cattle, and made into HFCS etc. Our ag industry needs to change.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

6 members found this post helpful.

Yup. GMOs don't scare me, per se, but Monsanto sure does and Congress is just a complete travesty.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    The little bit of research I have done, (Google scholar docs and my university's databases) just for fun, not for a project or anything and the bit that I have read, I am scared. Even articles that are pro GMO state that they know there are issues with them. Example; autoimmune/allergies, toxins, and antibiotics. Pro GMO claim that their products are more nutrition rich and will end world hunger, but with the rising numbers in allergies, crops not being as "pest resistant" as promised and no additional nutrition benefits in the crops themselves coupled with the fact that people are standing up and taking notice to what they and their families eat, I hope that GMOs fall and locally produced crops rise.

We all need to support our local farmers, producers, and small business in order to beat big business and make a difference. The small economic impact that you as a consumer can provide for your local producers is great and will breath life into your local economy.

Off my soapbox now.
    ^^ I agree with you 100%.

I am greatly concerned with this, and with factory farming, and where our food comes from as a whole.
    It is not just the plants we eat we need to be concerned with, but also, if you eat meat - those animals - and what they are being fed, and how they are being kept and slaughtered.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I raise food..meat and eggs on our small farm now for local markets. I've been approached by a lot of people lately about raising "organic" or "non GMO" fed poultry and meats. The hassle is the cost..it's much higher..and to stay in business I have to pass the cost on to my customers. All of you who say buy local or buy non GMO have to realize that to truly do that, you'll pay a lot more for your food at least in the short run until the GMO free products become more available and the cost comes down.

Now, I feed locally milled feeds and our area in SE Virgnia is a classic example of GMO commodity crop everything. They've already started spraying the fields this spring prior to planting and they even drop the chemicals from airplanes. They now use a mixture of 24D and Roundup to kill all the weeds..and even then, many of the tougher weeds come right back. I've noticed a lot more tillage being done in the last year or so as a result so perhaps farmers will stop farming this way if it costs them too much. I understand the no till concepts but there's no way to really farm sustainably without adding back to the soil...and we simply have to start thinking of building soil as well as just squirting chemicals onto it. I suspect if people actually got to see first hand how their "food" is raised, have the stench of the chemicals blow over their houses, and what all goes on it before it ends up in the stores as "food", there'd be a lot more organic customers.

Anyway, if I can get a large enough group together, I'll raise an organic batch of chickens and we'll see from there what I can afford to do going forward. GMO free/organic feed can cost $30 a bag now. I'm not into organic certification or anything but I do truly dislike supporting Monsanto or any company like that but I can't put myself out of business for principles.

As for the Monsanto Protection Act...I expected no different...our politicians (ALL OF THEM) with few exceptions are bought out by these large AG companies. Obama himself promised to label GMO's in 2007 and not only has he NOT done that, he's put their VP, Michael Taylor, into a top position in the FDA...and now signed this bill without batting an eye. So much for promises.

very scary! I wish more people would do the research.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Check out the Cheerios facebook page where the general public wages war on Big Food every day. Last time I checked, the company was not quite in control of the discussion. Yep, the one and GMOnly Cheerios! Overall, GMOs and the Monsanto Protection Act scare me. There's too much money at stake so Big Food and Monsanto are fighting hard to preserve their profitable way of life.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?