The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Need guidance about mini/childrens/junior medals!

Hi everyone,

This is kind of long, and I apologize my first thread ever is this novel...

I'm a relatively new trainer, in my second year of teaching, and I'm having a bit of an issue with finding something for one of my students to show in.

Currently the student is riding a horse that is a 2'6'' packer. They have not shown yet, just twice weekly lessons and a free ride or two if someone needs to get out. They will start showing within the next week or two. Although the student could do the three foot with no problem, this particular horse max's out at 2'6'', he's older, and he's just not going to do more comfortably.

So though I feel this particular student/horse combination is going to do great in the modified children's hunter division, which in my area ranges from 2'3'' to 2'6'', depending on where you are, I'm having trouble finding equitation classes for the student to show in. Said student was 15 on December 1st, so mini medals are not an option.

The student will likely do the 2'6'' hunter derbies in addition to the modified children's division, and some 2'3''- 2'6'' jumpers at different shows. We're trying to find the student's niche and what they're interested in before the parents want to invest in a horse with a bit of a "specialty," but this won't happen until 2014, and until then the student is on a schoolie of mine. However, the student is very interested in doing equitation, and I'm just having trouble finding something that they can compete in, eq wise.

I do have another horse that they could do the children's medal on, but I can forsee two problems with that.

First, the horse in question is also doing a full schedule of short stirrup as well as junior medals and junior eq. (He is a saint ) So I don't really want to add one more trying to get a medal on him, even though the student is only looking to qualify for three small, local medals. He is my star schoolie, who does 5 year old pony rides and up downers to a junior medal girl. So I don't want him to be overworked and hate his job, which he currently loves.

Second, they are planning on showing in the modified children hunters. The specs for that class read: Open to juniors and amateurs. No professionals. Open to horses and ponies who have no jumped 3' or over in the previous year, or riders that have not shown at 3' or over in the previous year. Fences not to exceed 2'6''.

So is the student allowed to do the children's medal, which is set at 2'9'', 3' at some places, if they are on a different horse? The wording is confusing me. The horse they would be riding in the modifieds has not shown at 3' in at least four years, and the rider has never even been a member of USEF before now. They only have schooling show experience. So would be able to enter? Or do the childrens medals offer 2'6'' options anywhere for those who are on a horse? And what are the age limits for children's medals? I'm seeing fifteen somewhere, fourteen, in another rule book, and seventeen in many others. Finally, would this be frowned upon, or do other juniors do this? I don't want people to think that maybe they shouldn't be in the modifieds on horse A if they're doing the higher jumps on horse B, even though the two are very different rides, and horse B wouldn't really give them any sort of advantage at the lower height with horse A. So many questions!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Is there no children's equitation division around you? That was always a popular one near me and set at 2'6''. Not sure of your area, but in zone 2 CHJA and FWPHA have some 2'6'' medals.

I understand wanting to find her niche, but at the 3ft level (when she moves up) often you don't really need a specialized mount. I see a lot of horses that are both 3ft hunters and double as 3ft equitation horses without much problem since the tests and courses aren't as tricky and specialize as the 3'6'' eq versus the 3'6'' hunters. So maybe don't worry about getting exposure in eq versus hunters at 2'6'' and look for it more once she moves up to the 3ft?
    Last edited by Rel6; Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Generally the 2'6" classes are considered pre-childrens and there is a pre-childrens eq, whereas modified childrens is 2'9", since real childrens is 3'. Most hunter divisions under 3ft have a corresponding equitation division. This would be easier to help with if we could see a prize list. Generally the 15-17 eq is run at 3' and you can cross enter into that, but I see no need to.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Generally the 2'6" classes are considered pre-childrens and there is a pre-childrens eq, whereas modified childrens is 2'9", since real childrens is 3'. Most hunter divisions under 3ft have a corresponding equitation division. This would be easier to help with if we could see a prize list. Generally the 15-17 eq is run at 3' and you can cross enter into that, but I see no need to.
    That really depends on your area. Where I am (Zone 1), pre-children's hunters/eq is 2'3", modified hunter/eq is 2'6", and children's hunter (horses) is 3'. For the age divided eq, 11 & under is 2'6", 12-14 is 3' and 15-17 is 3'6".

OP, some eq divisions to look for that aren't age restricted are maiden equitation, novice equitation, and limit equitation. They're based on the number of blue ribbons won. I think usually maiden is 2'3 or 2'6, novice is 2'6 or 2'9 and limit is 3'.

For 2'6" medals, Marshall and Sterling has the M&S 2'6" Children's Medal (I think it's new this year, it's different from the children's horse medal and children's pony medal). I don't think it's age-restricted (beyond needing to be a junior) but you'd have to check the rules to be sure.

Thank you so much for your help! We took them to a show on saturday and they showed in the modifieds and the Marshall and sterling medal! Turns out this particular rider has zero interest in the eq, after they placed well in the hunters they turned to me and said "do I really have to do the medal?" I told them to just try it as the course looked more like a handy course than a medal course. After they pinned well in that, they were hooked but really only wanted to do that one, so thank you for pointing me in the direction of the m&s! Looks like we found his spot, for now anyway