The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WEP Response to April 2013 Boston Magazine Article

Have you guys seen this press release from ESP in regard to the article in Boston Magazine about the Jacobs/WEP "battle"? It's been sitting in my email inbox since yesterday but I hadn't bothered to read it until a few minutes ago.

Here's the link.

YIKES.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

The article was not kind to either party, in my opinion.

As for that press release...

I'm glad it links to the Boston mag. article b/c honestly it was only after reading the article that I felt I *finally* understood more or less who's doing what to whom in this fiasco.

I certainly feel that what Mason said was inappropriate, but, ya know, I dropped my Surprise helmet along the bridle path somewhere...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

9 members found this post helpful.

Same here War Admiral. I never quite got what all the fighting was about, but I have a better idea now. Although I took a few grains of salt while I ready the Boston article too

1 members found this post helpful.

The article and the response certainly provide a better picture of the background and the players involved.

Default Maybe...

The Hooligans should stop attending and watching Bruins games since they aren't welcome. Only sell advertising to Ferrari and Diamond dealers from now on...

Either that or poor little rich kid is upset that he didn't think of it first....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    Same here War Admiral. I never quite got what all the fighting was about, but I have a better idea now. Although I took a few grains of salt while I ready the Boston article too
    I think the grains of salt are necessary, since Boston magazine would have a ready made opinion of Jacobs based on things in Boston, not Wellington.

I find Jacobs' self interest dovetailing nicely with my opinion of what should happen on that particular corner of Wellington.

Two things that seem to get lost in these discussions are that it's not billionaire Jacobs against little entrepreneur Bellisimo. It's billionaire Jacobs against billionaire Wellington Equestrian Partners. The other is that WEP, or Bellisimo, owns a piece of land across the street from the property designated as an Equestrian Preserve that does NOT have the restrictions against it for commercial developement.

Full disclosure: I own a house in Wellington that would probably benefit monetarily from development on that corner and I still am not for allowing an exemption to the Equestrian Preserve designation. After all, what is the point of restricting development in an area, if you can just get a bye to go ahead and do it anyway?
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post

Full disclosure: I own a house in Wellington that would probably benefit monetarily from development on that corner and I still am not for allowing an exemption to the Equestrian Preserve designation. After all, what is the point of restricting development in an area, if you can just get a bye to go ahead and do it anyway?

Bellisimo's flagrant disrespect for the zoning laws and such really irks me. I do not consider myself especially liberal politically, but I do believe that government NEEDS to regulate business! To a certain point at least. I have a couple of friends who own properties in Wellington who actually feel that many of Bellisimo's plans/developments may very well DOWNGRADE their property! The Jacobs' camp sounded totally pretentious when they talked about the "exclusivity" and such of Wellington but.. that's one reason real estate can be very pricey down there!

Wow, a very well-written and informative article. I did not understand what exactly was going on there before I read this. I do think it's pretty scary that woman was physically threatened and someone's house broken into. In trying to keep out the "hooligans," they themselves have such become...
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseymama View Post
    Wow, a very well-written and informative article. I did not understand what exactly was going on there before I read this. I do think it's pretty scary that woman was physically threatened and someone's house broken into. In trying to keep out the "hooligans," they themselves have such become...
    I read those parts and wonered about the connections they drew without a whole lot of evidence. That whole, 'correlation/causation' thing.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Two things that seem to get lost in these discussions are that it's not billionaire Jacobs against little entrepreneur Bellisimo. It's billionaire Jacobs against billionaire Wellington Equestrian Partners.
    Oh, THAT much has *never* been lost on me. It's the main reason I can't really be bothered to do much more than giggle... I'm FROM Boston; I know how Bostonian Money is supposed to behave. Suffice to say neither side is knocking that one out of the park. The whole thing is a circus sideshow as far as I'm concerned. Truly could not care one hoot less!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I'm FROM Boston; I know how Bostonian Money is supposed to behave.
    Except one side is not actually FROM Boston, correct? I don't know about the origin of the other side.

Hmm, what exactly does Mason Phelps consider "lower class"? Because he is a shining example of it. Having money and hanging around with one's nose up the arses of the super-rich does not mean one has class.

If Lou Jacobs turns a corner, Mason's nose is going to snap right off.
    What an insufferable snob.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Hmm, what exactly does Mason Phelps consider "lower class"? Because he is a shining example of it. Having money and hanging around with one's nose up the arses of the super-rich does not mean one has class.

If Lou Jacobs turns a corner, Mason's nose is going to snap right off.
    What an insufferable snob.
    PRAISE BE that I had fully chewed and swallowed my Oodles of Noodles before reading this comment!!! No need for a new keyboard - but close!

I ain't no fancy Welly world elite and have no dog in this fight, but sho' 'nuff appreciate the entertainment value. Off to shoot me a varmint for some squirrel stew fer dinner.

6 members found this post helpful.

WoW is all I can say........Its been a few years since I worked WEF. I didn't know any of this was going on. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lil'Cowboyz View Post
    WoW is all I can say........Its been a few years since I worked WEF. I didn't know any of this was going on. Brutal.
    Honestly, I was there all winter, and I wouldn't have known anything about all this if not for all the press releases. The horse show went on as usual.

Edited because the link was wrong...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekyqX--XyFY#

Don't miss an appearance by our friend Jesus at the end!
    Last edited by horseyninjawarrior; Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

This whole thing is sad. I was considering banking some money and going down just to WATCH next winter, but I am one of those low-class nobodies that Phelps doesn't want around. Guess I'll look at heading to HITS instead...

Quote Originally Posted by MillysGirl View Post
    This whole thing is sad. I was considering banking some money and going down just to WATCH next winter, but I am one of those low-class nobodies that Phelps doesn't want around. Guess I'll look at heading to HITS instead...
    Go to WEF (where it's warm!) and don't worry about it. You're unlikely to run into him at the horse show.