The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I just sent an e-mail off to the Ag Commissioner. Thanks for the link. This is disgusting!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I just emailed the reporter that did the story and the general manager at WALB explaining the equine body score index, and that this mare is in extremely poor condition and in need of feed and hay. They are probably stunned and blindsided at the turn this story took. Not that the reporter has any responsibility, but they know where the horse lives, and if they take some feed and hay out there, I'd be glad to paypal a reimbursement.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

It's entirely possible that the horse has never been floated and is having problems eating...IF it's true that she has hay and grain. I truly dislike ignorant people.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I can't wait to see the follow up from an angry indignant horse owner.....

OP oh yeah she is thin thin thin beyond thin. Sunken in at the withers, oh my thin. Those idiots, owners and news people. VERY sad. Guess they were looking for any story they could for the holiday. grrrrrrrrr

Hope somebody from animal control gets them!

So sad for the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    Oh mylanta, I thought I'd open the link and se a mare that was a little ribby and just shake my head and tell you you we're looney... but holy cow I just can't believe that she's actually still alive, I also can't believe both of the foals are still alive, and I cant believe someone put that on the news thinking it was all ok looking Kicking puppies might have been better to broadcast Can I room with you guys in the loony bin now?
    That is what I was expecting, once having a maiden mare look more thin that we expected right after she foaled her first one, but that is not a thin mare after foaling, but a starving looking mare.

I become more and more disappointed in the human race every day I can't imagine having a horse like that and being proud enough to call the media. Give the poor freaking thing some food.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jesus, that mare is EMACIATED!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Shame on the Today show for glorifying this woman's negligence and cruelty. She needs to be jailed.

15 members found this post helpful.

that makes me feel nauseous

WTF is an understatement!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

WOW someone please call the spca so those twins and that mare can survive the summer! Worst NBC news story ever-dumb reporters just looking for a story and missing ALL the important details

Poor mama
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Infant to know how she knows which was born first and that they were born 20 minutes apart when she wasn't out there! No one it sounds like was there. She got a call Easter morning saying she had twins out there so how would she know any details.
    That mare needs help. Poor baby. I can't believe the foals survived with her in that condition. It truly was an Easter miracle that they lived at all and hopefully another miracle that they will feed the mom.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I just posted a pissy comment at the Today page from the OP's original post. It won't accomplish anything, but it did make me feel a little better.

The way to get their attention would be to start a twitter subject, like, oh, say.... #NBCstarvedhorseWTF

BRB!
    Last edited by Martha Drum; Apr. 3, 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I am my own spelling police

7 members found this post helpful.

#NBCstarvedhorseWTF

I'm @easykeeperfarm if you want to retweet.

(actually, I am 43 years old, and typing the above actually frightened me a little bit, after a brief rush of making me feel )

4 members found this post helpful.

If you watch the video (I did with sound off) a little over half way through there is another horse in the next pen that appears to be pregnant but also starved. I don't know how AC can say the mare is just just old and pulled down by pregnancy. What's the excuse for the other horse?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I'm afraid they'll lose all three. I see a mare that I'm surprised is standing. How's she going to feed twins? They're going to bucket feed them, how about bucket feeding HER?
    They need an intervention, 6 MONTHS AGO. Being dumb enough to get on TV, they're probably already seized since the station must be getting inundated with calls from people who actually know which end the hay goes in. Going to be a rough road for whomever takes them--I'd be pulling BOTH foals off her right now and bucket feeding ALL of 'em. This crew need triple jingles, that's for sure!

8 members found this post helpful.

You can't just start stuffing food in her face. She is too far gone and would be at risk for refeeding syndrome. She needs to be hospitalized and the foals need to be off of her before they all die.

10 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately Laurie, I think you are right. Triple jingles from KY for this old gal and her twins.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Has the broad, oh, erm, 'owner' had anything to say? I'm curious what she thinks now that she's been outed.

Yeah, stuffing the mare now will do a lot of harm if not done properly. I think it shocks the heart and it can stop. So, let's hope the dipsh*te owner doesn't go to the feedstore, buy a ton of sweet feed and start dumping it in, now that the spotlight is on her.

What is the Today Show's response? Have they had one?
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.