The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Never did get a response from the reporter, or the general manager at the station, but here's the email that was sent.

Dear Devin,

Recently you did a story about a mare that delivered twins on Easter. Perhaps you are not aware of what a healthy horse should look like, and how much of a decline in condition is acceptable for an older mare with twins. Most horse owners would consider that mare near starvation, and certainly not able to provide adequate nutrition for two foals. Since you did the original story, could you please check on the horses, and take some feed and hay out to them. Please email back and I'll send you a check or PayPal for the hay and feed. There were many comments about the story; most relating to the poor condition of the horses. People also said they contacted Animal Control at both the county and state levels. That's entirely appropriate when a horse is in that condition. There is a body scale index for horses, with 1 being emaciated and near death, and 10 being very overweight. This horse is a 1 or a 2 (at best) and meets the legal requirement for seizure in many localities.

Please do a follow up story on the care this mare receives, and hopefully her return to health. We'd love to see her and the babies fat and healthy.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Whenever I've tried (and in all honesty!) to use the ignorance, "Gosh, officer I sure haven't seen a sign that said anything like that!" it's failed to get me out of a moving violation even one time. Yet ignorance of the law seems to work like a charm in these neglect cases. Lori is probably a nice person who feels terrible to learn her mare is in crisis. She should feel terrible and she is responsible.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    Just saw this on twitter, linked as "Twin foals, so cute!" Took one look at the mare and came here. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I'm tweeting now to educate about mare's emaciated condition and the current situation. Most ppl are shocked, just don't know any better.
    Melanthe, add #NBCstarvedhorseWTF to your tweets.

@easykeeperfarm I will retweet

One aspect that makes this most disturbing is I have read that the owner of the starving mare, Lori Tucker, who is wearing pink scrubs in the newscast video, is apparently the same Lori Tucker listed as the manager here
    http://www.tiftonwomanscenter.com/instructors.htm

"Come by or call to meet our manager, Lori Tucker. Lori taught low impact aerobics and bench classes in Atlanta for over 2 years, working under a certified instructor and fitness trainer. She is active with the American Red Cross having organized blood walks and drives. Lori is certified in CPR and is a member of CAPPA, a Childbirth & Postpartum Professional Association. She attended childbirth education classes, newborn and breast feeding classes and teaches childbirth education classes at New Phases. She works directly with the doctors and staff at Tifton Woman's Center and is currently training under Terri Branch to become a certified instructor for yoga."

I pray that is not true, but IIRC, I think I also remember reading that Jill Burnell was a nurse; so go figure.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

2 members found this post helpful.

Update: condition of mother of rare twin foals improves

Posted: Apr 05, 2013 5:54 PM HST
    Updated: Apr 05, 2013 5:54 PM HST
    By Ben Roberts - bio | email

MORE NEWS HEADLINES
    Five people arrested in Moultrie cocaine bust
    Update: condition of mother of rare twin foals improves
    Rain not so good to farmers right now
    Are video rental stores a thing of the past? Not so fast
    Road safety checks conducted in Lee County

We've got an update on the condition of a south Georgia horse and her twin foals.

Tifton Tift County Animal Control Director Regenia Willis-Wells says the rare twins are doing fine and the health of the mother is improving.

She began an investigation after seeing our story this week in which the mother appeared to be underweight. She says animal control officers checked on the horses each day. Georgia Department of Agriculture Equine Protection Agents have also seen the horses twice.

Wells says the owners are cooperating and following strict orders from a veterinarian to make sure the mother, named Betty Girl, gets healthy.

Here is a statement Wells released to WALB News 10.

"Within 24 hours of this story airing on our local news, the Tifton-Tift County Animal Control Director and the Georgia Department of Agriculture Equine Protection Agents responded to the residence. The owners are cooperating and all the horses are now under a Veterinarians care.

We appreciate the outpouring of concern and want to assure you, we work diligently to prevent animal cruelty. Please rest assured this situation will be closely monitored but due to the ongoing investigation, information is confidential at this time."

Copyright 2013 WALB. All rights reserved.
    http://www.walb.com/story/21896096/u...foals-improves

Did I read correctly she didn't figure out this mare was pregnant until the foals appeared? I'm trying to reconcile that with her job. I feel like there's gotta be more to the story.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

2 members found this post helpful.

The woman's clinic makes no mention of the horse owner being a nurse, but rather someone who specialized in fitness and took some child birth classes. If she has nurse credentials they did not mention any.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    http://www.walb.com/story/21896096/u...foals-improves

Did I read correctly she didn't figure out this mare was pregnant until the foals appeared? I'm trying to reconcile that with her job. I feel like there's gotta be more to the story.
    Somewhere there was mention that the neighbors stallion got loose and bred the mare... if they knew that having witnessed it or hearing of it, they had to know that a foal could result.

Ah yes I thought I read that she said the mare had had several foals in previous years:
    http://tiftongazette.com/local/x2377...Easter-morning

So not this womans first rodeo, I wonder if a Vet was involved in the other pregnancies/foalings?

I mean, even if she isn't a nurse, she has to know what could happen when a stallion gets loose and covers a mare.
    That a Vet was not involved apparently at any point in the pregnancy is.... sad. Perhaps the mare would not have gotten so, so bad had a Vet intervened earlier.

Would still love to see a follow up interview re: what feeds they switched her to [from the 'tubs of sweet feed' and what else they are doing for her. I hope whomever is guiding the owner is this mares recovery knows what they are doing re: refeeding.

ETA I wish these news stories would have an addendum or edit to bring people up to speed on the intervention in this case... a learning opportunity lost.

Bet this woman regrets her 15 mins of fame!! Her and her Baby Girl...

Sadly even the best monitored births are not always uneventful. My friend's mare was fat and healthy, vet checked ultrasounded. She delivered a colt who was rushed to the hospital and did not make it. The next year, fat healthy ultrasounded...the mare delivered twins while owner was at work...red bag and both died. While the owners were very careful about the Vet care...no one ( including Vet considered the hay. Apparently Red Bag is linked to Fescue hay .That is my theory..there are other reasons but I know they got hay from various sources not strictly hay growers.

All in all, the Tifton mare did Ok and is now getting Vet care...God works in mysterious ways...maybe if it had happened any other day except Easter...this wouldn't have been 'big news' and the CoTH horsey posse wouldn't have been all over it!!

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    One aspect that makes this most disturbing is I have read that the owner of the starving mare, Lori Tucker, who is wearing pink scrubs in the newscast video, is apparently the same Lori Tucker listed as the manager here
    http://www.tiftonwomanscenter.com/instructors.htm

There have been plenty of cases of people in the medical field as well as vets starving/abusing animals, I don't why it'd surprise anyone.

By no means do I condone this mare's condition, but a small part of me wonders if her thinness might have aided in what was apparently a complication-free delivery of twins.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    By no means do I condone this mare's condition, but a small part of me wonders if her thinness might have aided in what was apparently a complication-free delivery of twins.
    I think it did. Once, when I had a mare bred, the stud was at the vets', who also owned the stud, he told me my mare needed a few more pounds. Truly I didn't see it but thought, well, he's the vet and I better up the feed. Turns out my mare took in the first visit and she had a healthy filly 11 months later, who we later ran on the track. Anywho, my point is, my mare seemed to be a smidge on the thin side and she took, right off the bat. He had other mares in who were fat, too fat for me, they'd been there several months, trying to get settled.

Then, I was thinking of the skinny mares I've bought at the auction. Some looked almost as bad as Baby Girl. I bought them, brought them back to health, sold them and months later, whomever bought the mare would call me to say the mare had foaled that morning (or night or whenever). Usually no one knew or thought the mare(s) were preggers. After I sold them, I usually didn't ever see them again but always encouraged my buyers to contact me to let me know how things were going.

So, yeah, maybe being on the thin side actually helped things along? Either settling or foaling. ??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    There have been plenty of cases of people in the medical field as well as vets starving/abusing animals, I don't why it'd surprise anyone.
    I hear you, but it STILL surprises me. I kind of worry about the day when truly nothing surprises me.

I wish the media would at least mention something about body condition scores and the risk of re-feeding syndrome. Basically, media should emphasize why veterinary supervision is needed.
    Last edited by ldaziens; Apr. 6, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Hmm, the article in the Tilton Gazette says the husband knew the mare was in foal. It's horrifying that they let the mare fall into that condition...pregnant or not. I agree with Bluey about another horse in the background in one of the photos that looks very undernourished.
    Thank God for the internet in cases like this where the word can get out and officials have no choice but to investigate. I think it's pretty late in the day to try and play catch up with that poor undernourished mare while she's nursing twins but at least many eyes will be on her now. Poor old gal.

This is disturbing. If you watch the video on the original source you see the owner is also wearing scrubs! What does she care for in her profession? Surely not animals...and hopefully not people!

[QUOTE
    I've worked at a variety of breeding farms from TBs to Warmbloods, incl a set of twins, and no mare should look like that.[/QUOTE]

I've also seen a mare maintain a healthy weight through a healthy set of twins and this is deplorable. There's absolutely no reason she should be this thin. Horrid.

[QUOTE= BTW, someone on my FB horse board posted a pic of her mare just after foaling twins. The mare looked almost ready to step into the show pen, she looked sooo good!! The foals were cute little things, too! Unfortunately, one was accidentally killed when the mare coliced and rolled onto it. The other is now something like two years old and doing well.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I've seen a mare through a healthy set of twins, and she came out looking great, if not a little tired. This is by no means acceptable treatment.

Just Bumping this thread. Has anyone seen or heard any updates on this mare ? Don't want to see it fall through the cracks.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Just Bumping this thread. Has anyone seen or heard any updates on this mare ? Don't want to see it fall through the cracks.
    Agree about this falling through the cracks, and I have e-mailed AC twice in the last couple weeks with no response.

I've been wondering about the mare also. Wasn't there a rescue in the area who was trying to get the mare some help? Who was it, anyone know?
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

State Vet and Dept of AG and the local AC went out to check on her and motivate owner to give her better care, there was talk of details not being available because charges were possible, iirc.
    I don't remember hearing about a rescue offering to help her, but may have missed it.