The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Waiting for the 'see how great we are, we brought to light the plight of this mare. If it had not been for our amazing reporting this mare would have continued to suffer' report.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Waiting for the 'see how great we are, we brought to light the plight of this mare. If it had not been for our amazing reporting this mare would have continued to suffer' report.
    Even though that was not their intent there definitely is some truth to it. I really hope they do a follow up of her looking less like a coat rack in the near future.

You know, my one question is: How did this make it on the news in the first place? Did the dumb-ass owner, thinking she would be showered with praise, report it just to get attention? (and got the reverse instead) Did a neighbor call it in to bring attention to the mare's plight? Whoever first put the word out about the twins being born HAD to know the mare wasn't in great shape, and I can only hope it was someone who was trying to help the situation (in a positive way).

3 members found this post helpful.

If the press wanted to help this horse who did make the airwaves and get noticed for the neglect she was suffering AND others out there who are not so lucky, they could share what measures this owner is now taking to help the horse as advised by her Vet and the State Vet.

Other types of feed replacing the 'tubs of sweet feed', supplements, vet intervention [it was noted somewhere the mare was started on ABs, is she getting her teeth done? fecal done? ] and other fixes.

They could use this case to educate so many others out there who may also be as ignorant as this owner was to the plight of this horse and the fixes out there.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you think about it, the equivalent would be a story about a starved mixed breed dog giving birth to a litter double the normal size; and no news organization would be giving that dog owner 15 minutes of fame celebrating their Easter Miracle.

I AM glad that the horse is getting the attention it needs, but I do feel that the news organizations that aired the story have a moral obligation to educate the public. They need to now do their job and cover the story responsibly, and I suspect pressure needs to be brought onto management to make that happen.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

This is the email I sent to the reporter, Devin Knight:

"Mr. Knight,

While I believe you may have already been inundated with many emails (likely angry or disappointed) regarding the story you wrote about the Easter foals, I feel like I must add my sentiments to the mix. I do hope you will read this email completely, and take to heart the concerns felt by myself and very large internet community.

To start, I do not know if you are experienced in horse husbandry, or if you have ever been around a horse in your life. Many have not, but I do know that the average person would view your story and realize that the mare, Betty Girl, is EMACIATED. My educated stance is that Betty did not become emaciated by foaling twins.

You can do a Google search or even search Youtube and find many pictures documenting mares mere days after foaling. Doing so, you will easily see what body condition a properly nourished pregnant mare should have. I am experienced with pregnant and recently foaled mares, and I guarantee that Betty did not lose that much weight 1-2 days after foaling. It is obvious to any experienced horseman that Betty did not receive the proper feeding, nutrients, or basic care a pregnant mare should have during her pregnancy. Even if Lori Tucker did not know her mare was pregnant, Betty would still have been EMACIATED and easily seen to be in distress. This may be because of negligence or deliberate cruelty, but the result is still the same.

The age of a horse is also not an excuse, as Betty is what we would call a senior citizen in the horse world. Again, do a Google search and you will find much evidence that horses well into their 30's can keep weight and body condition, IF managed properly. Domesticated horses require specific care to keep them healthy, but unfortunately many believe that keeping a horse in a field or under shelter is all that is required. Sadly, it is not and this is where we see many people with horses in this condition.

I would plead that before you do any more stories regarding animals, especially equines, please try to educate yourself so that you may spot situations of neglect or cruelty, and not publish news report in praise of them. If you have not seen so already, please visit this internet forum thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?398741-WTF-Is-it-me-or-is-this-mare-(featured-on-the-Today-show!)-horrifyingly-thin

This forum boasts experienced and knowledgeable horse enthusiasts and professionals across the world. While many of the posts are angry and express severe discontent with Betty's circumstances, please know that they are solely because many are worried about the mare's survival.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

5 members found this post helpful.

^^ Love the e-mail!

also more WTF It just showed up on yahoo >.<
    http://screen.yahoo.com/rare-twin-ho...000014340.html

and some of the comments hurt my head

Just saw this on twitter, linked as "Twin foals, so cute!" Took one look at the mare and came here. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I'm tweeting now to educate about mare's emaciated condition and the current situation. Most ppl are shocked, just don't know any better.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

I love the people who get mad when you point out her condition

2 members found this post helpful.

Holy cow the ignorance of some of those people! They had to starve her so she didn't get laminitis from the weight of carrying twins (never mind owner didn't know she was having twins) and will plump right back up!?!????

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    Just saw this on twitter, linked as "Twin foals, so cute!" Took one look at the mare and came here. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I'm tweeting now to educate about mare's emaciated condition and the current situation. Most ppl are shocked, just don't know any better.
    They are shocked? I meant, shocked that the mare is emaciated? What?

Yeah, they just thought it was cute, didn't even notice the mare. One said, "Oh is the mare hurt?" Once it's pointed out, they get it.

Well, people who think the owner was administering a calculated degree of advanced care (keeping her thin on purpose ) and think our opinions are meany-mean may be interested to learn AC is now involved and details are not being shared because there is now a legal case. Lori has been cited. I didn't find more than that, but that much was clear from local commentary.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    Well, people who think the owner was administering a calculated degree of advanced care (keeping her thin on purpose ) and think our opinions are meany-mean may be interested to learn AC is now involved and details are not being shared because there is now a legal case. Lori has been cited. I didn't find more than that, but that much was clear from local commentary.
    Wow!! I'll bet ol' Lori sure didn't think her 15 minutes would involve all of this! I'm fairly she was waiting for all the love to come pouring in. BTW, someone on my FB horse board posted a pic of her mare just after foaling twins. The mare looked almost ready to step into the show pen, she looked sooo good!! The foals were cute little things, too! Unfortunately, one was accidentally killed when the mare coliced and rolled onto it. The other is now something like two years old and doing well.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    To be honest I hope that's true. People who are caught neglecting their animals, regardless of whether on purpose or through ignorance, need to be the example so that those who don't know better learn, and those that do know better take better care.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hey look a mare with twins that doesn't look one hoof in the grave. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...99043664_n.jpg
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I wasn't as diplomatic in my message to the reporter, Devin Knight:
    Please contact an equine veterinarian, so that you can educate yourself and the public after that disgraceful story promoting the backyard breeding of a starved mare. Here's some info. on body condition scoring - http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/98-101.htm
    And, you owe a lot of responsible, educated horse people an explanation
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...rifyingly-thin
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Please contact an equine veterinarian, so that you can educate yourself and the public after that disgraceful story promoting the backyard breeding of a starved mare. Here's some info. on body condition scoring - http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/98-101.htm
    Don't be harshing on his mellow!!

Actually, good for you. I like straight to the point. *Waving at the reporter, should he actually check out this posting!*
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post

Perhaps since this reporter has seemingly not done a follow up or even contacted any of those concerned back it should be taken over his head. There had to be a media director etc that can be contacted. What does the Today's show's FB page look like I'd inundate it with posts.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    What does the Today's show's FB page look like I'd inundate it with posts.
    People have been asking since this was on their show for them to do an update... no answer.
    Not shocking considering their present journalistic cred.