The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    This is how rumors start...we have so much to read we skim and then make assumptions. I never read anything about a seizure in this case and doubt that would happen. If there is food, the Animal Control people work with owner before ( and if ever) seizing. I doubt there is anything but ignorance here. She appears to be sweet and caring...just apparently not knowledgeable about horse care. I wonder if she reduced mare's food because she was 'getting fat'( in the belly) and just thought that the top line issue was due to 'old age'. Ugh. There ARE hard keepers in this world but generally it is lack of sufficient, proper feed.
    This is soooo plausible, not even funny. Still, for three day olds, and sort of nursing, those babies look awfully good compared to mama. I saw them bucket feeding so that may be the difference. Awfully healthy looking foals for a sad mare...just sayin'. If nothing else, a real testament to the absolute toughness of the mare. Apparently, nothing can kill her, she survived all this so far...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    If you look at the Minnesota Horses facebook page the State Vet was out there, and for now the State Vet is working with owner and her Vet [who it appears was not aware of pregnancy/birth] to provide care for the horses.
    Owner is claiming ignorance re: the emaciation of the mare.

Keep in touch with State Ag Commissioner, AC of Tifton, and the media to make sure that these horses do not slip through the cracks and to let them know horsemen across the US care.
    Confirmed with Tifton-Tift AC via e-mail

What is the Minnesota horses facebook page and what does that have to do with Georgia?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    This is soooo plausible, not even funny. Still, for three day olds, and sort of nursing, those babies look awfully good compared to mama. I saw them bucket feeding so that may be the difference. Awfully healthy looking foals for a sad mare...just sayin'. If nothing else, a real testament to the absolute toughness of the mare. Apparently, nothing can kill her, she survived all this so far...
    The foal (generally) gets 'what it (minimally)needs' out of what nutrition there is during pregnancy...the mare suffers. The foal(s) of emaciated mares generally look better than the mare . What can really drag mares down is nursing and that's what worries me. Momma needs a break AND proper nutrition, but not the stress of removing foals from her entirely. JMO. That would stress babies too. At least they know enough to supplement!

These horses can survive with proper nutrition and care. Ignorance really gets me...and worst is the FAT person with skinny animals...that really gets me!! ( not the cae here...just sayin'.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    What is the Minnesota horses facebook page and what does that have to do with Georgia?
    For whatever reason, someone who posts there actually called AC and was having conversations and posting updates on Minnesota Horses FB page. She was the one who said they were headed to the property, then that they may seize, then that the state vet said that the mare was too weak to move.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    This is how rumors start...we have so much to read we skim and then make assumptions. I never read anything about a seizure in this case and doubt that would happen. If there is food, the Animal Control people work with owner before ( and if ever) seizing. I doubt there is anything but ignorance here. She appears to be sweet and caring...just apparently not knowledgeable about horse care. I wonder if she reduced mare's food because she was 'getting fat'( in the belly) and just thought that the top line issue was due to 'old age'. Ugh. There ARE hard keepers in this world but generally it is lack of sufficient, proper feed.
    I think people are confusing where they are reading things. The Dept of Ag and the state vet were there, on the property according to someone on a FB page, but decided the mare was too weak to transport. I don't think it was posted anywhere here, but here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/26361914587/?fref=ts

ETA: it seems the post is now gone . It was actually very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I had a very skinny, small stray cat hanging out near where I was living for a few months. Flat as a board. I was feeding her up, let her in a couple times and held her, never noticed anything about her except she wasn't gaining weight. One day she showed up with 6 big, totally fat and healthy kittens. So I can see that the mare was giving all she had to those babies and they look in so much better shape than she does. Still is no excuse for her deplorable condition. Just a sad case all around. The only saving grace of this whole situation is if they hadn't done a national news story on this, the mare probably would be dead very soon and these foals would grow up to meet similar fates, as the chestnut in the other pen. Thank god this was brought to people's attention so something could be done about it.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Here is the contact info for the station management -
    might be a good idea for people to keep pressure on them to follow up on this story with what the state, local, and vet are doing to make sure these horses receive expert veterinary care. Encourage them to do their job and educate the public w/ accurate information instead of stupidly glorifying backyard breeders who starve their horses. Jeebus!

http://www.walb.com/story/636760/contact-walb
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Humph...just think, if the woman couldn't figure out how to feed a preggers mare, just think what those foals would have looked like in a few months. Stunted would prolly be the start of it.

And as for who said what and what place and/or FB page, I'm all confused. I'll wait till the end and then muddle through.

WALB is the local news station that covered the story, and the station is owned by Raycom. Give the Raycom CEO and the other executives a call to let them know that promoting a backyard breeder who starved her horse is unacceptable. They need to do their job and educate the public - interviewing an equine vet about this situation along with the state and local authorities who claim to be handling this case would be a good start.

http://www.raycommedia.com/officers/

Also, contacting the NBC executives about this - since the Today Show promoted this as a "feel good" story - would also be good.

Unreal.

4 members found this post helpful.

Okay, here is the contact info for NBC News -
    http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/n...cnews/contacts

<sigh> You have to admit, the babies look good! The mare looks rough, but if the owners didn't know she was having twins, they probably assumed she was in okay shape - her belly had to be huge. They might have assumed it meant she was doing fine (even if her neck, hips, etc. looked thin).

I'm not defending the mare's condition, but the circumstances ARE unique. I'm sure AC will be keeping tabs on the trio. Hopefully we"ll see great updates.
    Y'all ain't right!

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't know what y'all are so upset about. Did you see the size of that mare's belly?

In all seriousness, I think the reporter ABSOLUTELY has some responsibility here. I realize journalism standards have fallen so low they are now below ground, I still think journalists should be well read on a wide variety of topics, be basically intelligent in general, should read up on the topics they are reporting and should seek counsel where they have deficits. If that horse were a person, no one would excuse "not knowing." If that horse had been a dog, we would all except someone to see how skinny she is. I understand the owner making stupid excuses about her age and not knowing she was pregnant, but I'm shocked it wasn't even addressed as an innocent question. Sorry Devin Knight of WALB-TV, but you failed on your Easter feel good story. Story, pics, etc etc glorifying twins in horses already make me crazy.

Isn't the owner wearing scrubs? Doesn't that imply that she has some medical training or that at least, infirm people are in her care?

I've worked at a TB breeding farm and there were plenty of older mares. It's not rocket science. I've also been around people who've owned and worked horses for decades but still use "I didn't know" as an excuse for gross neglect. There is an expiration date on ignorance. I'm so done with stupid.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Yeah, this does just seem like pain ol ignorance. I agree with you on that front.

After reading some of the posts on here today! man I am all done with stupid I mean really Im not the birghtest match in the box, at least I admit that but really, I mean REALLY?!

llol <-- thats a little lol I made myself chuckle.
    YAY!! I finally figured out how to upload a photo! lol im such a computer loser!

On the good side. Thank goodness they made a huge media deal out of something that is not so rare as they acted like it was. This mare got the attention she needed because these media people were clueless enough to not realize they were showing off something that was in bad shape.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    On the good side. Thank goodness they made a huge media deal out of something that is not so rare as they acted like it was. This mare got the attention she needed because these media people were clueless enough to not realize they were showing off something that was in bad shape.
    Very good point.

Although I was angry that they aired this story as if everything was fine, in hindsight they undoubtedly saved their lives assuming she makes it. She probably wouldn't have even known why the mare died.

And no peep out of the reporters...One would think that rather than clamming up and going into their hidey-holes that that would at least have a follow up comment or two.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    And no peep out of the reporters...One would think that rather than clamming up and going into their hidey-holes that that would at least have a follow up comment or two.
    "Nothing to see here, move along." is prolly what Today and the others are thinking. "Good Lord, let this pass, let this pass!!"