The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Just got a response from my email to Commissioner Black

"Ms. Smith,

The Department of Agriculture’s Equine Health Section, under the direction of Mat Thompson (copied), is working closely with the Tift County Animal Control today to insure that the paint mare and her two fillies are receiving necessary care. These horses will be under veterinary care as well as being monitored by the 2 agencies involved during this critical time. Please know that we take each of these cases very seriously and will do our best to release any updates as requested. Thank you for contacting our office; do not hesitate if we can ever be of help in the future.

Regards, Evan

Evan Karanovich
    Special Assistant to the Commissioner
    Georgia Department of Agriculture
    Commissioner Gary W. Black
    Phone 404.656.3600
    Agriculture Building, Capitol Square
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334
    agr.georgia.go
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

11 members found this post helpful.

How could they NOT decided to seize all three?? They have practically the whole horse world breathing down their necks!!

Hunh...so strange, this world. Three horses, one so malnourished she is a skeleton with skin, the woman thinks it's okay...who is in the med profession somehow, and can't see anything is wrong. Yet, two deejays who played an April Fool prank by calling water by it's technical name, get suspended and possibly charged with felonies because low info people can't be bothered to Bing something. Odds bodkins.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

6 members found this post helpful.

Another double post. GAH!

Lynnwood, I got the same response with my name at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Yet, two deejays who played an April Fool prank by calling water by it's technical name, get suspended and possibly charged with felonies because low info people can't be bothered to Bing something. Odds bodkins.
    Now that sounds like an interesting story. Link please.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got the same response too:-)

Ditto on response, I'm sure they would have to spend days replying to us all. I'm just glad they responded at all and that it was in a polite manner.

3 members found this post helpful.

Before the twins were born, Big Girl was the only horse that the Tuckers had. They have had Baby Girl for many years. She’s about 18 years old, says Mayo.

“She’s my trail riding horse,” Tucker said. “She’s my ‘Baby Girl.’”

She said Baby Girl is very friendly and has always been a good keeper. Tucker said the birth of twins has taken a toll on her body, as well as nursing.

“She’s always been healthy,” she said. “She’s getting the nourishment that she needs. She’s getting lots of love and attention.”

Tucker noted that Baby Girl has had several foals prior to the twins and had a stillborn two years ago.

“She’s very sweet and is a good momma,” she said.

She said the twins will most likely be Baby Girl’s last birth. She said she doesn’t plan on selling the two foals. She said she eventually wants to raise them and be able to ride them one day.

http://tiftongazette.com/x237736085/...Easter-morning

She's your trail horse?
    And this is her last birth? Go figure....

How about...you never own horses again....UGH.

I am SO disgusted...I emailed the Today show, they are beyond annoying me that they don't do anything about this with all their money and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Tucker said the birth of twins has taken a toll on her body, as well as nursing.

“She’s always been healthy,” she said. “She’s getting the nourishment that she needs. She’s getting lots of love and attention.”
    Don't these two things contradict each other? Either the twins are taking their toll on her body or she is getting all the nourishment that she needs. It can not really be both when the mare is skin and bones.

I also find the time line interesting. That article was from April 3rd. If born on Easter that would make the twins three days old. Is this idiot owner claiming that mare went from a healthy weight to what she shows in those photos in three days?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Don't these two things contradict each other? Either the twins are taking their toll on her body or she is getting all the nourishment that she needs. It can not really be both when the mare is skin and bones.

I also find the time line interesting. That article was from April 3rd. If born on Easter that would make the twins three days old. Is this idiot owner claiming that mare went from a healthy weight to what she shows in those photos in three days?
    Exactly. This lady is either clueless or thinks the general public is...

I received the exact same response from the Department of Agriculture.

I also wonder why the horse was not removed.

SCM1959

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Just got a response from my email to Commissioner Black

"Ms. Smith,

The Department of Agriculture’s Equine Health Section, under the direction of Mat Thompson (copied), is working closely with the Tift County Animal Control today to insure that the paint mare and her two fillies are receiving necessary care. These horses will be under veterinary care as well as being monitored by the 2 agencies involved during this critical time. Please know that we take each of these cases very seriously and will do our best to release any updates as requested. Thank you for contacting our office; do not hesitate if we can ever be of help in the future.

Regards, Evan

Evan Karanovich
    Special Assistant to the Commissioner
    Georgia Department of Agriculture
    Commissioner Gary W. Black
    Phone 404.656.3600
    Agriculture Building, Capitol Square
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334
    agr.georgia.go
    I just received the same response. I can't imagine that this mare will fall through the cracks given the enormous public outcry. That said, we can't forget about it...

Again, many thanks to War Admiral for posting the email address for us!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone know of a local rescue that could be contacted. Perhaps they could offer education and support if the state agencies don't come through.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    I read a story on this sorry I don't have the link- that told this easter twins story in a very strange way- One line said that the neighbors work her up and said, "You've got twins!" and then later in the story they described the birth- which one came first and how far apart. How would they know those details if the foals were born while they were sleeping? It's not like the neighbors would attend the birth without waking them up would they?
    I can say this because I am from the south: This is the South; anything is possible. Wouldn't surprise me if they brought out lawn chairs and watched the whole damn thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

The neighbors are possibly the owners of the Babydaddy, so vested interest there.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky6 View Post
    Does anyone know of a local rescue that could be contacted. Perhaps they could offer education and support if the state agencies don't come through.
    If you look at the Minnesota Horses facebook page the State Vet was out there, and for now the State Vet is working with owner and her Vet [who it appears was not aware of pregnancy/birth] to provide care for the horses.
    Owner is claiming ignorance re: the emaciation of the mare.

Keep in touch with State Ag Commissioner, AC of Tifton, and the media to make sure that these horses do not slip through the cracks and to let them know horsemen across the US care.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Shame on the Today show for glorifying this woman's negligence and cruelty. She needs to be jailed.
    Ya think the Today show will be back to cover the death of momma and both babies when that happens? They oughtta be ashamed.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default Huh?? I didn't see that? there was a reference to a different situation and saeizure

This is how rumors start...we have so much to read we skim and then make assumptions. I never read anything about a seizure in this case and doubt that would happen. If there is food, the Animal Control people work with owner before ( and if ever) seizing. I doubt there is anything but ignorance here. She appears to be sweet and caring...just apparently not knowledgeable about horse care. I wonder if she reduced mare's food because she was 'getting fat'( in the belly) and just thought that the top line issue was due to 'old age'. Ugh. There ARE hard keepers in this world but generally it is lack of sufficient, proper feed.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Wow. I was expecting something not quite so horrible and obvious when I clicked on that. Jesus.

eta: one of the commenters said that the horses are being seized - can anyone confirm that?

I'm still totally boggled that nobody at the original reporting site or at NBC apparently looked and said "HOLY SHIT!" That they're all "la la la happy fun interest story twin babeeeez!" about it just makes me sad for humanity.