The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    From what I have read on FB animal control is all over the 'the horse is fine, it is old, just thin, it had twins' explanation of what is going on.

I am dumbfounded that not one person involved with all the news reports and shows this stupid story ended up on opened their eyes and noticed this mare is emaciated. Do you really have to be a horse person to see that this horse is just too thin? I think not. I think just about anyone, even non-horse people should be able to tell that there is something wrong with this horse.

Clearly the owner is an idiot. An idiot who likes to be on camera more than she cares about the well being of her animals.
    You know, maybe the pregnancy really was accidental, the mare has some problem that is keeping her so very thin no matter what, teeth done, excellent nutrition, is old, has been under vet care all along and they are doing the best they can for her.

BUT, if so, they should have stated that up front.
    It looks like everyone, reporter and owner, may just be clueless.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    This is a different horse. The horse in the op is from tifton ga. Which is south ga where abac college is at.
    Yikes....bad mistake - my apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Someone might want to do a screenshot of the NBC site, just in case someone gets the idea to delete the whole enchilada. I don't know how to do it.

ETA: I looked at the foals again, then back at the mare. Is anyone absolutely SURE those fillies came from that mare?? Is anyone absolutely SURE those fillies were born on Easter, three days ago??

ETA ETA: I don't see any comments. Nothing happens when I click on 'comments'.
    I wondered the same thing. As horrifying as the condition of the mare is, the fillies seem way too large and well fleshed out....for now.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I wouldn't be trusting animal control on this. Get to the state Ag. commissioner, Gary Black. Yank his chain. Keep yanking. gary.black@agr.georgia.gov
    Done.

Please if you write be polite, and also be detailed in what you see in that mares condition that is alarming so that the Commissioner can see that it is seasoned, knowledgeable horsemen contacting him with concern.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kaye View Post
    I wondered the same thing. As horrifying as the condition of the mare is, the fillies seem way too large and well fleshed out....for now.
    Some mares will put out so much milk they become thin, but that is not just thin, that is way beyond that.
    There may be a reason, but if so, that should have been part of the story.

I just called AC, the lady who answered was very nice.
    She confirmed mare is 20, and stated that AC and state Vet were headed out there today. I suggested they also look at the mare in the adjoining pen as she looked thin too. Hopefully help is on the way for this poor mare.

4 members found this post helpful.

The horse in the next pen is the same mare. Same markings exactly. Not a different horse.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I still don't think it would be a bad idea to encourage them to look around.

From the posts on the article, it looks like someone found the lady on FB and offered to buy all three.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I'm just livid about this. As a caring horse owner, dumbfsck rednecks like this make the whole rest of the state look like we don't know our @$$ from a hole in the ground.

Please write to Commissioner Gary Black at the Georgia Department of Agriculture and ask him to get these animals seized. He's a jerk but he's also a large animal vet and he definitely DOES know what a 1 on the Henneke scale looks like!! So let's remind him: gary.black@agr.georgia.gov
    Sent the email. Thanks for posting the address. Now let's all cross our fingers & toes, pray, chant, hang crystals or whatever and hope this mare & her babies are in more capable hands by the end of the day.

I certainly hope Dr. Gary will step up to the plate. I rarely have any faith in any gubment agency...maybe this time will be different. :-/

The owner standing there in scrubs made me curious.
    The irony is that it appears this woman is a member of a Childbirth & Postpartum Professional Association, teaches childbirth education classes, and works with the doctors and staff at a womens' health center in that area.

And they say the quality of our health care system is not to be questioned?
    *headdesk*

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    The owner standing there in scrubs made me curious.
    The irony is that it appears this woman is a member of a Childbirth & Postpartum Professional Association, teaches childbirth education classes, and works with the doctors and staff at a womens' health center in that area.

And they say the quality of our health care system is not to be questioned?
    *headdesk*
    Unbelievable So glad you called AC.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Wow. I was expecting something not quite so horrible and obvious when I clicked on that. Jesus.

eta: one of the commenters said that the horses are being seized - can anyone confirm that?

I'm still totally boggled that nobody at the original reporting site or at NBC apparently looked and said "HOLY SHIT!" That they're all "la la la happy fun interest story twin babeeeez!" about it just makes me sad for humanity.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I read a story on this sorry I don't have the link- that told this easter twins story in a very strange way- One line said that the neighbors work her up and said, "You've got twins!" and then later in the story they described the birth- which one came first and how far apart. How would they know those details if the foals were born while they were sleeping? It's not like the neighbors would attend the birth without waking them up would they?

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Wow. I was expecting something not quite so horrible and obvious when I clicked on that. Jesus.

eta: one of the commenters said that the horses are being seized - can anyone confirm that?
    Not what AC told me this morning

the comment was only left about 15 minutes ago...

I was really hoping it was true, I just don't understand how the mare would live unless she was under round the clock care from properly trained people.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Not what AC told me this morning
    Perhaps AC / the state vet did go out and inspect the mare this am and made the decision to seize them.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Fingers crossed that is the case. That poor mare needs someone in her world that cares about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Perhaps AC / the state vet did go out and inspect the mare this am and made the decision to seize them.
    That, of course, could be... hoping for best for the mare