The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Does the mare's eyes look right? Could she be blind or partially?

Anohter thing, the foals are roaming around and she can't get the energy to shepherd them around, like a new mommy-horse would do.

Poor thing.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In the video, half way thru, I didn't watch it all, there seemed to be another sorrel tobiano paint in an adjacent pen that looked just as thin.

The picture frame went by too fast to be quite sure, but that is what it seem.
    I looked at that - it's the same mare, they've got a crappy opened gate dividing the pen so it looks like they are in a separate paddock.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I looked at that - it's the same mare, they've got a crappy opened gate dividing the pen so it looks like they are in a separate paddock.
    Oh, ok, could not tell, thank you.

We got one 25 year old horse a few years ago that looked like that and he was not pregnant and trying to nurse as she was.
    Our vet was worried for a little if he make it.
    He did, was fine for many years after that.
    They better get her help.

I just hope the tv stations and NBC do a follow up and offer vet care for this poor mare and poor foals. After all, I am sure they got ad revenue!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You can't just start stuffing food in her face. She is too far gone and would be at risk for refeeding syndrome. She needs to be hospitalized and the foals need to be off of her before they all die.
    ^THIS! She needs to be in a hospital where she can be monitored and carefully fed. I fear that, with all the attention, too much will be thrown at her at once and she won't survive it.

3 members found this post helpful.

And to think I have to put my old mare on a diet...

It just boggles my mind that a reporter, camera crew, whoever vets the stuff for TV, the Today show, and the animal control are ALL too stupid to tell when an animal is emaciated!!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I repeat:

gary.black@agr.georgia.gov

It takes less time to e-mail him than it does to log in and post here.

Emailed weather those owners are purposefully or ignorantly negligent they are negligent none the less. It may be in the best interest of all 3 animals if the foals are given supplemental feedings or pulled all together.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Check it out, they have 40 horses and live on 400 acres, and this mare is only 8 years old. And she blames the "neighbors" stallion. Right.

http://muscatinejournal.com/news/loc...8891635c5.html

She claims that she had an ultrasound in this story. I wonder which story she will stick with. And interesting that she says one of the foals was, "skin and bones"....huh. The body condition of the mare is worse.
    Last edited by hundredacres; Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM.

I opened that expecting to see a slightly ribby mare after a hard pregnancy. OMG I was NOT expecting that. That poor mare needs to be hospitalized now before those babies kill her.

#NBCstarvedhorseWTF
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

2 members found this post helpful.

I think that's a totally different story. The emaciated mare and twins is in GA, the ones from story two posts prior to this are in IL...

Check it out, they have 40 horses and live on 400 acres, and this mare is only 8 years old. And she blames the "neighbors" stallion. Right.

She claims that she had an ultrasound in this story. I wonder which story she will stick with. And interesting that she says one of the foals was, "skin and bones"....huh. The body condition of the mare is worse.
    This is a different horse. The horse in the op is from tifton ga. Which is south ga where abac college is at.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

http://www.walb.com/story/21827605/devin-knight

Page with email link to the reporter, I already emailed him with this forum post linked into it but I'm sure he could use more education. Seriously my husband who isn't much into anything horse related took one look and said WFT? Not sure a reporter could do a story on this and not see the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    same pictures check out the comments = wow scathing!

1 members found this post helpful.

Someone might want to do a screenshot of the NBC site, just in case someone gets the idea to delete the whole enchilada. I don't know how to do it.

ETA: I looked at the foals again, then back at the mare. Is anyone absolutely SURE those fillies came from that mare?? Is anyone absolutely SURE those fillies were born on Easter, three days ago??

ETA ETA: I don't see any comments. Nothing happens when I click on 'comments'.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Apr. 4, 2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: My curiosity....is pinging....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

NO NO NO...different place, different owners, different circumstances though no pictures! Original posting was horse in GA this is IL

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    NO NO NO...different place, different owners, different circumstances though no pictures! Original posting was horse in GA this is IL
    And the IL story is from 2008.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

While I am upset that there is a horse in this condition, I am even more upset that someone did a news story on it and with all those people there not 1 said, wow, that mare is REALLY thin!!

I would really like to see a follow-up by NBC to this story.

Comments all agree. I wonder if the AC will do anything?
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

From what I have read on FB animal control is all over the 'the horse is fine, it is old, just thin, it had twins' explanation of what is going on.

I am dumbfounded that not one person involved with all the news reports and shows this stupid story ended up on opened their eyes and noticed this mare is emaciated. Do you really have to be a horse person to see that this horse is just too thin? I think not. I think just about anyone, even non-horse people should be able to tell that there is something wrong with this horse.

Clearly the owner is an idiot. An idiot who likes to be on camera more than she cares about the well being of her animals.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    From what I have read on FB animal control is all over the 'the horse is fine, it is old, just thin, it had twins' explanation of what is going on.

I am dumbfounded that not one person involved with all the news reports and shows this stupid story ended up on opened their eyes and noticed this mare is emaciated. Do you really have to be a horse person to see that this horse is just too thin? I think not. I think just about anyone, even non-horse people should be able to tell that there is something wrong with this horse.

Clearly the owner is an idiot. An idiot who likes to be on camera more than she cares about the well being of her animals.
    This, This makes me mad.... >