The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tatto help please

Recently purchased. Previous owner's coggins states 10 years old and "Mr.Jangles." Vet says 15 to 18. Bay gelding. White on face, none on legs. I thought the tattoo read B07293, but that gets nothing. Closest I have found is Colby's Prospect B07243, but I am not sure that the marking description matches the horse. The letter is definetly hard to read. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/El...ibrary/?page=1

Well, there is a Mister Jangles, born 1999, which would put the horse into the right age range. However he last raced in Puerto Rico - don't know where you are or if this is even possible. If that was him, the letter would be a C.

I would play with it myself but looks like somehow my account is screwed up and I can't login to do tattoo research. Annoying. Hmph.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

First letter looks more like a D to me. I'm not convinced the last digit could be a 4 at all (obvious curve there) and I think the white there is more than 'scattered hairs', but here's my closest match so far.

Horse Name Milk Thief

Tattoo D07204

Year of Birth 2000

Dam Name Hug the Wind

Color Dark Bay or Brown

Sex Gelding
    Scattered white hairs above eye level and on bridge of nose. Double horizontal cowlick just above eye level.

After looking up Colby's Prospect, now I think you may have a match there. The star description is not quite as I would describe it (I wouldn't consider that 'narrow' or really 'to the left' either). He had three wins at Charles Town and Penn National in 2001 so maybe there's a chance of finding a photo and making a match that way.

Thanks for looking. I thought he letter was a D too, but it has something in the middle. The vet thought it was a S, but no way he is that old. Oh well, maybe I will never know. No matter, he is a good boy. It is just neat to find out where they started and how they ended up with you.

Have you contacted The Jockey Club for help identifying the horse?

Also, it's much better to take pics out of the sun. Dry the lip first. If you have one, use a blacklight to look at the tattoo.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Can you take a good pic of his teeth from the side making sure you get the eye tooth? Someone told me it's easier to read the numbers at night if you shine a flashlight thro the lip from the inside.