The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    This may or may not be a good subject but I want to see what folks on here would have done.
    Going out this afternoon to mail a work package at my UPS outlet, I was sitting at the light in our main intersection and saw a young man holding a sign saying family in need please help, Food or money. He had drawn a sign of the FISH Religious sign.
    I sat there looking at him and thought, Hmm I should pull into the gas station and talk to him. I have never been compelled to do that before, I felt it was a little thing the lord rolled in my way to see what I would do.
    So I pulled in to the gas station and beeped my horn at him.
    I spoke to him he was a sweet boy, He was layed off work for a back injury and his wife was working part time, and they had a new born and a 2 year old. We spoke about god and things.
    I said will 20.00 help you? He said everything will help me.
    I felt no pain giving it to him, I felt good about it.
    I did not think dang I am going to miss that 20.00.
    I know there are many folks on here who are religious, Maybe not, but I wonder how many would have given him money.
    you felt compelled to do so, so it was right to give.
    I am thinking that when we get these feelings we need to act on them.

I rarely have any cash on me, not even change.
    Sometimes I feel sad that I can't give, but then it seems like the panhandlers take shifts standing at the corner. That does check my enthusiasm rather quickly!

Whether it was the fish, or something else...I am thinking it was for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

LAura I guess anything is possible, He was kind of shabby looking but not a drug addict. I live in a VERY small town and have never seen him before.
    He told me he will be back to work in a month but they are just really having a hard time. I don't know he may be crackin a six pack right now laughing at the guillable lady. I will never know. IT did make me feel good, like I said I felt compelled to do it, and I have NEVER done it before.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I offer to buy food or drinks but I never give cash.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

When we moved a few years ago, we hired someone off of CL to help with some of the lifting. The company we called "hired" his help from the local mission. The guy we got dropped off was a nice enough guy - mid-20s, had a wife and two kids. He'd gotten hurt, couldn't work construction while healing and ended up there. He worked his rear off and was genuinely appreciative to have any work at all. Turned out that the guy who hired him paid him less than half of what we paid him. That guy was a troll.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm another one who will buy extra bags of pet food and non-perishables for the people waiting near the grocery stores. I forget which COTHer it was, but she said that she picks up the little blankets and dog clothes that Old Navy often closes out for pennies, and hands those out as well during the colder months.

I rarely have cash on me, but have given what little I do have on occasion.

In my area, there are no "regulars" so I do think that those doing it really have just found themselves in a tough spot. I prefer to think that I'm not being scammed. Everyone always does seem genuinely thankful for the cat/dog/people food.

I sometimes see someone at the end of the exit ramp on my way to work. I don't think I've seen the same person twice (I commute in once a week for a three day stint). I usually have food in the car since I stay at the hospital while working there. I will hand out food/bottled water. I am willing to take the chance I am being scammed.

Every one has always seemed genuinely grateful. The Nutty Bars I handed over once garnered me the biggest smile. As I said, I am willing to take the chance on being scammed. One of my cousins is mentally ill and so far his family has been able to keep him safe and keep tabs on him. His mom is now over 70, and I worry that he will fall through the cracks once she is gone. I just always think about what I would want to happen if it were my family member on the end of that ramp.

3 members found this post helpful.

In a heartbeat with no reservations. What they do with my gift is up to them and I frankly don't care. All I can do is attempt to help wherever I can.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you felt compelled to do so, so it was right to give.
    I am thinking that when we get these feelings we need to act on them.

I rarely have any cash on me, not even change.
    Sometimes I feel sad that I can't give, but then it seems like the panhandlers take shifts standing at the corner. That does check my enthusiasm rather quickly!

Whether it was the fish, or something else...I am thinking it was for a reason.
    Thanks, I think so too!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Seems to me like you should either give with a pure and loving heart or not bother giving at all... Judge not lest you be judged... Just sayin'....
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

6 members found this post helpful.

Hahaha no way.

ETA: I've watched "homeless" people take shifts, I kid you not, same sign, a handoff and whoever was standing goes and sits in the bushes, generally with a bottle.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Not after someone informed me the one I would give money to regularly (he had a homeless sign) really lived in a nice apt. in town and made a good living of suckers like me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Hahaha no way.

ETA: I've watched "homeless" people take shifts, I kid you not, same sign, a handoff and whoever was standing goes and sits in the bushes, generally with a bottle.
    That's what I figured the crusty old dudes by Walmart were doing. I was tempted to stop by and strike up a conversation.
    But I guess it is also strategy that they are quiet a bit from the parking lot so hardly a soul bothers to walk over.....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Nope - never money, and only very occasinally food.

Because of my boyfriend's buisness we get people in looking for "a couple bucks for gas" all the time. We keep gas cans around full all the time for the generator - only once have they taken us up on actually getting a can of gas!

We have a "group" of three men, and one woman, who are rather entrenched at three major State roads/intersections in my area, who all carry the same sign "Will work For Food. God Bless." The medians are actually worn down to the dirt in their "spaces".

One person I know had just been to McDonald's-within sight of one beggar, so she picked him up a meal. When she rolled her window down to give it to him, he said, "I don't want that. How about $20.00?", with cigarette in hand....

My husband stopped once when two of them were working both sides of the street, and offered all they could eat gourmet pizza, and all the soda/water they could drink, to put up hay for a few hours. They declined that, too...

Shortly thereafter, a letter was written to the local paper by someone "in the know". Apparently they live quite well in a local hotel, as they rotate their begging shifts. They also deliberately pick State roadways to beg, as local police can't arrest them for loitering/panhandling. State Police around here are stretched so thin, they aren't going too waste resources arresting them...

I will NEVER give anyone panhandling money-buy them a meal, yes. Someone short at the register ?-I've thrown some $$ their way, MANY times...but after learning about this "ring" I won't give them money.

In 2004, I attended a non-profit function full of Washington bigwigs on Capitol Hill. Following the event, I caught the metro train at Union Station. While I was waiting on the platform, I looked over and saw a homeless man just standing there looking lost. His hair was all matted, he had a heavy beard, his clothing was tattered, and his shoes were falling apart to the point that you could see the thick callouses that covered the soles of his feet.

I don't normally give to panhandlers, because I've seen/heard too many stories about people in DC begging for money who really don't need it. But I remember one day in church my pastor saying something about how you never know when you're going to meet Jesus, basically implying that Jesus could be any random stranger on the street, and if you met him, how would you treat him. I don't know what it was about this man, but I kept glancing at him. At the time, I didn't make a lot of money and I didn't have a lot of cash on me, either. What little I did have was needed to take a cab home from the metro station. But this man wasn't even asking for handouts and didn't have a sign or anything.

Finally, I heard my train coming and I fished around in my purse to see exactly how much money I had. It wasn't much - I think only around $12-15 - but I kept exactly what I would need for the cab ride home plus tip and just before the train stopped, I ran over to the man and silently handed him the money. He'd been hanging his head and when he looked up at me, there was so much pain, shame, and gratitude in those eyes. He thanked me and I said, "I'm sorry that it isn't more," before I ran to catch my train.

Honest to God, to this day, I still feel guilty that I didn't have more money to give him or that I couldn't have bought him food or done more to help him.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Seems to me like you should either give with a pure and loving heart or not bother giving at all... Judge not lest you be judged... Just sayin'....
    Yup, I've given food, money and I've let someone rake leaves at my house in exchange for some cash. What they do with the money is up to them.

I don't care if they are a "ring" of panhandlers. For the love of all that's holy do you really think they are getting rich? I think it is more likely they have found a way to band together to survive. Nobody decides that on a career in begging. They are driven to it.

I've given items - never cash - when my instincts or inner voice tell me to.

Two that stick in my mind - a man standing on an exit ramp with his dog. It was a bitterly cold winter, I was on my way to WalMart and picked up a warm but not expensive sleeping bag. He was beyond grateful.

Another time I had run to the grocery store on my lunch break. There was a woman with two kids who just looked desperate. I stopped to chat with her. She was leaving an abusive husband and just didn't have much money. I took her in to the deli to get her and the kids some lunch. She insisted on only getting the least expensive things - baloney, cheese, cheap bread, and I insisted on getting milk for the kids. She cried.

Was I scammed? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't. Even if I was, it made me feel good and it didn't put me out of much cash.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Yup, I've given food, money and I've let someone rake leaves at my house in exchange for some cash. What they do with the money is up to them.

I don't care if they are a "ring" of panhandlers. For the love of all that's holy do you really think they are getting rich? I think it is more likely they have found a way to band together to survive. Nobody decides that on a career in begging. They are driven to it.
    well, I suppose it is 'work' to look pathetic enough to beg.

I don't have too much excess, so I am keeping myself within my means.

However, I think the original idea was that Sannois felt - against all reason - strongly compelled to pull in and give something to this family.

While I am the supreme cynic, I also believe in listening to that little voice in the back of your head.

Maybe it was a scam, and the guy took his sister and her kids for ice cream with that money.
    it's kind of getting stuck behind a slow driver and missing getting caught in a speed trap...being at the gas station might have saved her form being creamed by a runaway 18wheeler.

Ok that was the most off the wall reason, but hey.
    I have learned - the hard way - to listen when that voice compels me.

I don't much think I need to support professional beggars though.
    There are people with more discretionary funds who can do that.

Nope, not here.

The can I get a couple of gallons of gas to get me to "X" are rampant around here. Just how much fuel you can put into those plastic gas cans you have lined up in your trunk anyway?

I gave $.50 to a man once that said he needed the change to call for a cab because his girlfriend got mad at him in the K-Mart and left him there. No idea if it was true, but it was a strange enough story to give him the change I had.

I don't generally give out food or money, but we have a lot of scammer panhandlers around here. I watched a guy that sits at the same off ramp nearly every day pull out a huge wad of cash to add his most recent "earnings" before he returned it to his pocket. I'm leery of giving out food because even then, those with substance problems can go trade their earnings for whatever fix they need. :/ It is quite sad.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson