The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

From watching that video I would totally see how that could happen from a spur.

If your horse is so unhealthy, that his coat is so affected, that a saddle pad is going to cause blood he probably shouldn't be ridden. JMHO
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

There seem to be some inconsistencies here. According to the article linked in post 10, the blood was on BOTH sides, "at the height of the spur" - which to me means at the place where your spur is when leg in the regular position. Cant tell from pictures what's in the area where spur rubs normally are. But on the second picture it does look like the hair is different in that area.
    The rider refers to the spot clearly visible on one side of the horse near the back corner of the pad. But obviously the steward saw more than we do.

And agreed - this is not a pretty picture nor a happy horse.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I suspect the blood that the steward was seeing is somewhat hidden by the rider's legs, unless you are closer than those photos.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    This video is from 2010, but pause at 5:00, 5:01, and 5:02 for those who wonder how he gets his leg back there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETv2u67KxhI
    Ouch. Sure looks to be in the same spot.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the video - that explains it! I imagine there is also blood in the spur area as his legs are always nagging, nagging, nagging. The poor horse is run off his feet. I'll gladly take the horse - the only time I can get my leg that far back is when I dismount.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    If your horse is so unhealthy, that his coat is so affected, that a saddle pad is going to cause blood he probably shouldn't be ridden. JMHO
    It doesn't take poor health for a horse to be thin skinned. Just had to put that in since I have shared saddle pads have rubbed my horse.

Of course, he doesn't have a "skin condition" and I haven't taken to anywhere near that level to know that I can't use saddle pads with reinforced edges or they will rub him.

I think merrygoround's point is a good one - that there may well be rubs we can't see in that small picture which are near spur height like the statement makes it sound as if there are.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed