The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buddha offspring

So does anyone have any or know anything about him?

On paper...he has good stuff and not so good stuff. Looking at a nice young prospect soon. Never raced or raced trained so really just looking at the horse in front of me and pedigree....and yes, the horse in front of me will weigh more in any decision.

I do not know the dam line yet but know the sire is Buddha. Just curious if any have his offspring in sport. Prospect is tall and young so nice that she wasn't race or raced trained and she will go right into a sport horse program.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/buddha

He certainly was a nice looking horse!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I used to ride for his trainer, who never had anything but good things to say about him, but I've yet to see any of his babies. Any Ky or Pa people?
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Did you see these:
    Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA
    he is an absolute sweet heart, Mr. Personality. But he does have a temper and opinion, which is probably the Storm Cat side of him.
    This describes my SC great-grandson (through Buddha) very well. My guy also has Ribot and double Bold Ruler, so that may also account for his opinionated side. He is athletic and very trainable though and extremely intelligent (apparently the last two traits are characteristic of Buddhas). Fairly short-coupled and a powerhouse type as well. All this quirkiness makes him not a super easy horse to ride, but not a super difficult one either. You have to be mentally on your game. I do OK with him but prefer an easier ride, but he is fun and has taught me lots.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ns-Appreciated
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

bornfreenowexpensive is offline Supreme Procrastinator Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    I used to ride for his trainer, who never had anything but good things to say about him, but I've yet to see any of his babies. Any Ky or Pa people?
    yeah...I never really care about how the stud himself was. The brain between their legs can really change things I've also had far too many horses whose offspring were very different from their sire. But still good to know. The dam will also of course have a pretty significnat effect as well.

I found those older threads but was still wanting to see if anyone had any more recent experience. In the end....I'll just go off what I see but I do like know if there are any people with experience.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I've known several. Geldings had great brains, mares didn't really until they were older. Couple lower level hunters, really cute types. All grey. Nothing that I know would put me off from going and assessing an individual.

We had a bunch in our barn for race training, from his first crop a few years ago. Probably my favorite racetrack horse ever was a son of Buddha, named Peace Sign. He was gorgeous, incredibly intelligent, playful, beautiful mover. He apparently had been gelded after attacking his groom as a yearling, and his track groom was scared of him but he was a doll for me.

The other 2 colts we had were very bull headed. One was kind of a big dumb ox, the other one was very cowish but was way too smart for his own good and would try and run the riders through the fence (a jockey once snapped his whip in half trying to beat him away from running into the inside rail). He was just a brat. The Buddha fillies we had were ok, nothing remarkable personality wise, fairly lightly built in comparison to the blocky colts.

We got them all in as 2 year olds and none of them made it to the races early, they were all sent home because they couldn't hold up to the training. Peace Sign and one of the fillies ended up racing at cheap tracks for different trainers, dont' think the other ones ever made it to the track. So I would just be careful about soundness issues, as I believe Buddha retired as an early 3 year old and from what I saw, he didn't throw the soundest horses. Of course that was race training on 2 year olds so maybe they were just later developers, but none of them were fast either.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Just one more talented race horse retired early (really early in Buddha's case!) due to unsoundness. I saw him when he was at Hill N Dale, and he is beautiful. Dam line will hopefully make a difference in the horse you're looking at.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Whole pedigree not just his wouldvhelp you know certain nicks can make for a better horse.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Whole pedigree not just his wouldvhelp you know certain nicks can make for a better horse.
    Yeah I will find out what I can when I see her. All I got is that the dam was a very nice type (16.2ish) but I didn't get her name or sire. This is a June 3 year old.....so basically worthless as a race horse. She was not raced and never raced trained. Just been living out growing and eating. People want her to not be wasted and to be well placed. Long story on how they got her but basically an ideal situation. She will be more like a sport horse---a full TB and not an OTTB.

Just even looking at Buddha's pedigree I would say he would be a late maturing horse that would be better not pushed too soon.

If she comes home with me (very likely but we will see)...she will go out with my 3 year old TB/WB cross. They will get started later this year and do the baby outings. Nothing too stressful...mostly hacking out but some going to local shows. And we will see what they are ready for as 4 year olds (and what direction they want to go).

I just acquired a 3yo by Buddha (she turned 3 on 4/1). I can not say enough good things about her. She is still growing like a weed, so I haven't done much arena work with her, but we have hacked her out a lot. She never raced. She is amazing. Brave. Quiet. Great brain. Willing. Beautiful mover. I am supposed to resell her, but I won't be letting her go for pennies. She's got superstar written all over her. If they're all like she is, I'd say Buddha makes some super nice babies!
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

The two we've had (mare and gelding) have been lovely and easy, according to owners.

I thought that Budda's record of producing unsound get was the reason he was sold to Argentina?
    Perhaps the Unbridled's Song line has that reputation because they are late developers and are not given the time they need to mature before being brought along. Of course, that makes many of them undesirable for racing.

It will be interesting to see that if, given more time in the field before training, they will make durable sporthorses.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    the other one was very cowish but was way too smart for his own good and would try and run the riders through the fence (a jockey once snapped his whip in half trying to beat him away from running into the inside rail). He was just a brat.
    Do you remember the name of the too-smart-for-his-own-good brat? Sounds exactly like my boy and exactly like something my boy would do, to another rider, if they asked for something that he didn't want to do. He's been great for me, though, an absolute lamb, although he can get pickly at times. Sometimes he tries things so funny that I'll be in hysterics laughing at him. Very athletic and very smart horse, full of personality, nice mover, super fancy. But too much brain and personality for his own good sometimes.

I have had a lot of problems with his feet, which I understand his sire had, too. Aside from fairly long, sloping pasterns, my boy has gorgeous conformation. However, some of the problem I think is due to bad farrier work that my boy had.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Do you remember the name of the too-smart-for-his-own-good brat? Sounds exactly like my boy and exactly like something my boy would do, to another rider, if they asked for something that he didn't want to do. He's been great for me, though, an absolute lamb, although he can get pickly at times. Sometimes he tries things so funny that I'll be in hysterics laughing at him. Very athletic and very smart horse, full of personality, nice mover, super fancy. But too much brain and personality for his own good sometimes.

I have had a lot of problems with his feet, which I understand his sire had, too. Aside from fairly long, sloping pasterns, my boy has gorgeous conformation. However, some of the problem I think is due to bad farrier work that my boy had.
    His name was Paper Trail. The other colt was Client Driven. They all sure seemed to have interesting personalities! Peace Sign would crack me up all the time too. When he first came off the trailer, I had to handwalk him around with the other babies. He started getting bored so he started doing a Spanish walk lol. When the hotwalkers would be walking horses, he would reach out and nip at every one of them. But when I would come by he would stretch his nose out in the air and wiggle his lips so I could rub the side of his mouth lol. He was just a goofball. I cried the day he left us. Here's a couple of the photos I have of him. I tried tracking him down but he ended up at an auction in South Dakota and I was a couple months too late :-( Apparently he ended up at a ranch but I haven't been able to track him past that.

As a 3 year old, first start (different trainer)
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7940444_n.jpg

me and him as a baby
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6188214_n.jpg

This is one of the Buddha fillies but for the life of me I can't recall her name. She was a sweetheart though, very nice.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1812723_n.jpg
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

He's so sweet, Banshee, here's to hoping he ended up in a good place!

My Buddha goofball is a 2005 model, too, but his JC name is Catch Buddha.

Here he is at 4 I believe:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...andsomeboy.jpg

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...IMG_9872_3.jpg

One from last year:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...H/IMG_0437.jpg

The other horses roll their eyes when they see him coming. He's full of mischief. A big, busy-minded clown and brat but a sweetiepie underneath. I need to get some current photos, he's actually gotten better looking as he's greyed out.
    Last edited by Vesper Sparrow; Apr. 4, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEventer View Post
    I just acquired a 3yo by Buddha (she turned 3 on 4/1). I can not say enough good things about her. She is still growing like a weed, so I haven't done much arena work with her, but we have hacked her out a lot. She never raced. She is amazing. Brave. Quiet. Great brain. Willing. Beautiful mover. I am supposed to resell her, but I won't be letting her go for pennies. She's got superstar written all over her. If they're all like she is, I'd say Buddha makes some super nice babies!

Cool. Love the look of your girl! Of course LOVE the jump on your red horse

Thanks guys. I'll up-date you all after I go look at her. She's the right price (free) And if she looks half as pretty as her relatives posted here, she will be worth taking on.

Banshee--sorry you lost track of Peace Sign. Always heart breaking. Hopefully he ended up in a good place.

Original Poster

So went and looked at the filly. Decently put together and pretty. A bit thin but not too bad (the spring grass still hasn't come in yet). So we made her move around the field....lovely lovely trot and decent canter (canter is hard to judge when they have their tail over their back but looked good enough!). Took a bit of work to get her on the trailer....but we did, and she blended quickly out with my herd. Has no leading skills...and thank god I left the leather halter on her in field because it is likely going to take us a few days to get our hands on her again

So whether Buddha produce racers seems doubtful....but he does certainly produce nice moving sport horse prospects. I will post pictures when we can get our hands on her again! We are calling her Razz. She has some spunk to her personality....but doesn't seem crazy.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 7, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Eh. Get a camera with a decent zoom.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing some good stories. Hope you have lots of fun with her!

Congrats on your new girl! Also looking forward to pics once you can catch her!