The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin from guns: Enough "woulda" have you ever killed someone? What did that change?

There's a lot of bold and confident talk about how surely and rightly folks would kill another in self-defense. But do they speak from experience?

Have you ever killed someone-- on purpose, in self-defense, by accident?

Did that change anything about your life or views?

My purpose in asking isn't some stance on self-defense or guns. I think people should make informed decisions. So you guys with experience: Inform us!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I've never killed anyone but I have drawn a gun.

First time was when I lived alone. Some drunk guys came up on me while I was walking my dog (she was super young). I drew and they lost interest.

Second time was during my first marriage. My husband would have loud drinking parties in the basement. One of his friends decided that he wanted to leave but instead of using the basement entrance he came up through the house. I was asleep and didn't know the basement door wasn't locked. I drew on him and marched him to the basement, verified his identity and made him leave that way. The basement door got a deadbolt lock on it that I didn't share the key on. Not surprisingly, that relationship didn't last.

This is just such a weird thread. "Have you ever killed someone?....on purpose?"...wouldn't that kinda lead to jail and the inability to be on an online forum?
    I LOVE my Chickens!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    This is just such a weird thread. "Have you ever killed someone?....on purpose?"...wouldn't that kinda lead to jail and the inability to be on an online forum?
    Some jails have Internet and cable TV and I know of one that even has horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Some jails have Internet and cable TV and I know of one that even has horses.
    Yeah, that's just wrong.

ETA: I thought your input/experience was nice to share! That a gun can help help/save you!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Please. I only wish I could say this is the weirdest thread I've ever seen here. Not even close!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Please. I only wish I could say this is the weirdest thread I've ever seen here. Not even lose!
    Well, I will have to agree with ya there!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Guys, one small reminder. This is a bad question for veterans. Anyone with PTSD might have some trouble with this topic.

4 members found this post helpful.

The point of this thread was to let the pro-gun-for-self-defense types consider the action they speak of with such certainty.

Perhaps some people-- yes, sadly, even veterans have experienced this. If they have PTSD from that it sucks. But there's value in that too: Those talking about being willing to kill people in self-defense should be aware.

Also, my original question in the gun thread was about whether or not someone gung-ho to defend themselves even if that means killing knew how they'd fare in the courts, or if that entered into their thinking. So, principals about the justification of self-defense aside, would you still "shoot first and ask questions later" if you knew that might include a jail sentence for you?

This doesn't have to be about guns.

Some friends of my sister's were a carless family. The story behind that is that the parents had killed someone in a vehicle accident. I don't think they were found guilty, but the experience made them not want to drive for years afterwards.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Not necessarily. Military, LE can all kill someone and it be justified and therefore, not illegal. Depending on state law, private individuals can also kill someone and it would be justified.

I know that in my state, if a POST certified LEO kills someone, it will be reviewed by the district attorney to ensure that it was a justified kill but once it is, then no criminal charges would be filed.

I have killed threads before.

My husband kills jokes. Dead.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

14 members found this post helpful.

Ok...lets see if I get this right....

If attacked or threatend, OR if my child/husband was attacked or threatened...would I kill and, possibly face jail time, or would I take a chance of being killed myself...I would take my chance in court, sorry.

I think you have to understand that just because someone owns a gun and says they will use it if put it harms way...thats not the same thing as walking into a public building and opening fire.

As a responsible, trained, and legal gun owner I do not take the idea of taking another life, human, or animal, lightly.

That being said, if I am EVER in a situation that threatens my life or the life of my children or husband I AM going to defend my family. I am not simply going to sit back and "hope" that the threat retreats....all because I dont want to face the consiquences of the law. As far as I see it, IF I EVER PULL MY WEAPON AND FIRE IT, the law is already on my side because I am not shooting willy-nilly for the hell of it...I am protecting myself and my family, period, I have just cause and it shouldnt be too hard to prove. The mental side effects may be there and I couldnt tell you how hard that would be because I dont know...but I can not imagine the mental side effects of watching my family hurt or killed KNOWING I could have stopped it but chose not to.

I would rather rot in jail knowing I had lawfully saved my children than be alive knowing I could have saved them but chose not to because I was "afraid" of the consequences on my behalf.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

13 members found this post helpful.

@ relocatedTXJumper

While I respect your opinion about guns, about yourself and the rest. That's not good enough for this thread.

That's because I want to know how people who *have* walked-the-walk with respect to taking another person's life feel about it. The hypothetical talk is cheap, IMO.... or it should be because killing someone else is a Big Deal.

Again, you and post away without this particular constraint on the gun thread. You will find many more people saying the would do as you have described, too. For me, the convictions aren't the problem; an uninformed basis for them is.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

I agree it is a big deal...such a big deal that I dont know how you can expect someone to post about it openly on the internet to the point that you get the idea of what its like...

I can not imagine killing someone, either on purpose, or say in a car accident, legally or not...and actually WANTING to talk about it, with complete strangers, on the internet where it would remain for eternity. I cant imagine its something someone would speak so lightly of...and with good reason.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    That's because I want to know how people who *have* walked-the-walk with respect to taking another person's life feel about it. The hypothetical talk is cheap, IMO.... or it should be because killing someone else is a Big Deal.
    If I have learned anything from being married to a veteran, it's that you do not ask this question or questions like this. It is DISRESPECTFUL.

I apologize for yelling, but it's necessary. Feel free to ask him yourself - he will explain to you (like a child, inevitably) why this is not an appropriate question to ask of someone and is none of anyone's business.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

16 members found this post helpful.

MVP, the answer is simple, whether we understand the walk we are talking: you have never been a victim, have you?

MVP you are playing voyeur in the worst possible way. The people I know who have had to take a life understand all too clearly the huge impact on all involved. A life was ended, a family lost a parent or child, people on both sides will second guess their actions for the rest of their lives. The family whose child slipped out for a party and entered the wrong and was then killed. They are probably questioning their actions with their child leading up to that night.

Grow up and stop trolling for pain. You don't care if this triggers PTSD or horrid memories for anyone. You just want to bang your anti-gun drum.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    I agree it is a big deal...such a big deal that I dont know how you can expect someone to post about it openly on the internet to the point that you get the idea of what its like...

I can not imagine killing someone, either on purpose, or say in a car accident, legally or not...and actually WANTING to talk about it, with complete strangers, on the internet where it would remain for eternity. I cant imagine its something someone would speak so lightly of...and with good reason.
    They can post with an alter. They are free not to post at all.

With so many talking about how sure they are that they would kill if pressed, it seems to me that they speak quite lightly of kllling someone else. It's seriousness of that act was the basis for starting this thread.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    If I have learned anything from being married to a veteran, it's that you do not ask this question or questions like this. It is DISRESPECTFUL.

I apologize for yelling, but it's necessary. Feel free to ask him yourself - he will explain to you (like a child, inevitably) why this is not an appropriate question to ask of someone and is none of anyone's business.
    It sucks that the job of killing or risking your life is part of military service. My hope is that if more people took this seriously, more soldiers would be spared the experience of having to take a life.

Whatever the circumstances, I would imagine it changes the person profoundly. It is disrespectful to *not* ask a civilian and voting population to consider the military actions their government takes.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    MVP, the answer is simple, whether we understand the walk we are talking: you have never been a victim, have you?
    What an odd assumption. Of course I have been a victim. Sooner or later, I think most people will become the victim of some crime in their lifetime. I haven't killed anyone. I'm not sure that all victims naturally decide that killing another is justified.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat