The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why do people do this?

I work at a doctor's office. It's a converted house. Right across from my desk is a bathroom. Just like you'd find in a house.

For some reason I do not understand, people insist on CLOSING THE DOOR when they leave. WHY? WHY would you do this? The door was OPEN when you went in. Doesn't it make sense to leave it OPEN when you leave? Closed door = Occupied. So people either don't realize it's a bathroom, or they figure someone is in there. No. Some moron just decided to confuse everyone.

This annoys the living snot out of me! Probably because I spent half an hour one day desperately needing to pee because the door was closed and I thought it was in use.

Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

At my office, we are supposed to keep the door closed, since it was felt the public doesn't need to be looking into a toilet as they walk around a professional office.

Perhaps you could make up two signs: one for the front "Washroom - Please Knock"; one for the back "Please leave door ajar when leaving".
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

It is often considered impolite to leave the door open, as any odor from the bathroom may waft out into the other rooms.

6 members found this post helpful.

on the other hand, I prefer the door to the toilet closed myself.

It's not like you can't knock to check for occupancy...

(it's bad Feng Shui to leave the door open, that's my story, I am sticking to it! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

I was bothered by that at my old school--the teacher's lounge bathroom door shut tightly, so you couldn't see if the light was on, and the lock was broken. So you could see it shut, knock, not hear anything, and then stand there wondering if it really is unoccupied and safe to open. Or pop your head in because you have 30 seconds to pee, see the door shut, and then run back to class only to find out later that it was unoccupied.

Again, totally appreciate the idea of keeping odors contained, but that also means that they're just trapped in there and sooner or later someone is going to enter and suffocate...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Is there a fan or a window in the bathroom? Would you prefer your office area to SMELL like the bathroom?

And I agree with another poster – when going into a professional establishment, I would prefer to not be greeted by a toilet.

Perhaps add a commercial lock to the door, the type that reads “Occupied” when the door is locked would be a good solution. They sell these at home depots etc (and the handles that come with them are usually disability compliant).

-signed, door closer

3 members found this post helpful.

We have to keep ours closed because one of the dogs is ninja peeing on the bath mat. Don't think this is your issue though.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

They wanna keep the stink in, and not waft out into the public air waves.

don't they make those signs you hang on the door, double sided, one says 'free' the other 'occupied'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Add me to the "prefer it closed" group. You are in a dr's office...I can just imagine some patients will be having, er, intestinal issues......the rest probably don't want to smell those issues!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

4 members found this post helpful.

Really, who wants to be known as the mad crapper in the doctor's office?

Keep that door closed. Maybe the fan will suck it out, ha ha - not!

3 members found this post helpful.

I think many people think it is rude to leave it open - and likewise the seat and the lid should be down.

You really expect people to make smells and leave the cistern gurgling then leave the door open?? I'd want to smack someone who did that for being rude, inconsiderate and just someone I would not want in my house, or office.

Not sure how people are meant to know it's good to leave it open? Could you just put a sign on the door that says it's the toilet? That's surely what most people look for rather than peering in the door? You could then either have a lock that let's people know when it's locked, or leave it so they can try the door; expecting people to leave the door open is a little unrealistic, most people think they're being polite closing it. Surely you close yours at home?

5 members found this post helpful.