The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Commercial Car Transporters?

I know a lot of folks here have had experience shipping horses, but has anyone ever shipped a car?

We are moving from Florida to Colorado and our Camaro will not fit on a U-Haul type car carrier. Since someone has to drive the moving truck, we are likely going to have to hire someone with the proper trailer to haul the car.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shippers? Any luck with sites like U-Ship?
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Check with local dealers.....GM, Ford or Dodge since those three are more likely to ship intra-dealership than import dealers and they often have empty slots and will take a private vehicle. During my brief foray into the oil patch, I arranged many trips that way for one vehicle, although I was more likely to get a carrier to move a whole truckload.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

We use Cascade Vehicle Shipping. We've shipped cars across the country multiple times, and they were the best. Prices will vary on how you want it shipped, either on an enclosed truck or an open one. It actually works a lot like horse shipping, where the load is "put together" and the truck goes around collecting cars from various places and then heading off in the direction of their eventual destination. You also have to plan for an accessible place for them to get in to load/unload. Our cars traveling with Cascade arrived on time or ahead of schedule, but one trip with another company, the car must have toured the entire eastern seaboard as it took a couple weeks to arrive. Take everything out of the car before it's loaded. The ones with Cascade were fine, but on another trip, some things went missing. Good Luck!

We had to use a flat bed car carrier, from Penske, but we were towing the 4x Tacoma with lots of ground clearance. They also make the two wheel carriers that drag the rest of the car. I don't know if your Camaro has the ground clearance for either. If you were using a regular moving service I've been told they'll stuff your car inside the truck behind the furniture if there's room.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I penned a letter to Sallie Mae today in which by page four I was telling them how at one point in my dealings with them finally "I became a nihilist," so I do not have the physical strength to detail all that happened when I had a car shipped up from Texas, but suffice to say there has been exactly one moment in my life where I have stood in a parking lot and screamed without words into a cell phone with rage while ACTUALLY flailing about, and it involved the delivery of this car.

Push the car if you have to.

Oh my Meup.

Well, OP, do you have any youngish relatives? I drove as part of a little convoy from CA to NM when I was 18 and did the au pair duties for my cousin's child as well. Anyone you know taking a gap year?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks for the tips!

At this point I think we are leaning more toward renting from PODS to move the furniture and driving both vehicles. The Camaro absolutely won't fit on a Penske trailer because it is not only low, but has wide tires. We can't haul our van because it's too heavy for the trailer's rating and we need it to carry my kids and my daughter's wheelchair.

My husband was laid off, so we're trying to keep things very cheap. The PODS option is a bit costlier and we will likely have to jettison some furniture to fit everything in the container, but it seems like the better option at this point.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett